I'm back after a BIG break - what's the latest developments on the WTC Subdrivers?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

I'm back after a BIG break - what's the latest developments on the WTC Subdrivers?

Hi
    my Doctoral studies have been concluded - I passed and the 5 years solitary confinement of a 130,000 word thesis is over!. I won't complain as I have a great new job for these efforts and whilst I have re-introduced myself to family and friends, I need to get back into the hobby.

I have completed my 1/72 Conqueror with 2 working tubes up front. My son who has just turned 12 back in January has with my help built 1/72 HMS Talent. Both boats are based on OTWs fine Valiant and Trafalgar class kits respectively and are running the OTW dive system.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Talent1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	60.8 KB ID:	148902

Click image for larger version  Name:	Talent2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	68.0 KB ID:	148903

Click image for larger version  Name:	Conks1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	71.2 KB ID:	148904
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Conk2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	62.6 KB ID:	148905

The OTW dive system is great so far so good, however, I am convinced both submarines can be made lighter with the use of an internal battery as what I have been used to using the SNORT / SAS subdrivers. You also get a smaller 100% full ballast tank with God's system. With the OTW, despite the fact that you have baffles in the tank, because this doesn't fill much more than half as you are pumping in water under pressure I have noticed that coming to a stop there is a quite a bit of water slosh that can affect trim.

Wondering what the new Subdriver line-up of products entails for subs Skipjack size and a little bigger such as these two? Any details yet?

Thanks

John
    Last edited by Slats; 04-07-2021, 06:44 AM.
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

I don't want to spoil things, but they'll be pretty cool. Some features I can pass along that are basically locked in:
    • Initially, 3" mechanical/battery compartments with 3" or 3.75" ballast tank options.
    • No more tiny o-rings against the ID of the tube. Too hard to get perfect tolerance and no ability to replace tube or endcaps if needed. New setup is same as OTW with internal rods and a big, beefy seal that interfaces with the tube face.
    • Same awesome air pump-based ballast setup
    • Improved vent configuration. No more linkages or seals
    • Brushless power
    • Twin rear servos. Twin forward servos.
    • Kit or fully assembled options. Big price incentive for assembling yourself, not so much because I'm lazy, but because I am a firm believer that you need to understand your cylinder fully, not just drop it in and hope for the best.
    Availability? I'm utterly overwhelmed with lots of stuff. I'm guessing 30 days from now (I know you've heard that before). The wait will be worth it.

Bob

Comment

• Slats
      Vice Admiral
      • Aug 2008

Bob
      thanks for that - that sounds exciting. I'm happy with the OTW WTC investment for now, but I like getting performance out of my boats and in my years of doing this hobby weight wrecks turning circles. I have no doubt that the OTW system - tried tested and somewhat bullet proof will be great - save for the weight - which is a personal preference for me to keep light.

I think these will be great - well done to yourself and Lord Merriman.

Best

John
      John Slater

Sydney Australia

Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Davidh
        Captain
        • Nov 2010

Hi John,

Nice looking Boats.

Dave H

Comment

• vital.spark
          Commander
          • May 2010

Slats, Great to see you back! You were missed!

Comment

• redboat219
            Admiral
            • Dec 2008

So I guess NOW we can ask you, What's up doc?
            Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

John,
              Good to see you posting again!
              Peace,
              Tom
              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Slats
                Vice Admiral
                • Aug 2008

Bob
                I'll be wanting 2 of the single screw 3.75s.
                Please keep me posted
                cheers
                John
                Last edited by Slats; 04-10-2021, 04:34 AM.
                John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Subculture
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

Nice looking Trafalgar.

Where you put the weight is more important- moment of inertia. If the boat is rocking a heavy battery pack up front, you could make things much better by getting it underneath the boat as close to the centre of the boat as possible, or if the cylinder is too big to permit that, use smaller batteries (Li-ion or LiFe), then redistribute lead to the centre of the boat. The idea is to concentrate as much of the mass of the sub near the centre as possible.

Adding a horizontal baffle aligned with the usual waterline reduces/eliminates sloshing, but would be difficult to retrofit in an OTW cylinder as the tank is bonded together.

Comment

• Slats
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                    Nice looking Trafalgar.

Where you put the weight is more important- moment of inertia. If the boat is rocking a heavy battery pack up front, you could make things much better by getting it underneath the boat as close to the centre of the boat as possible, or if the cylinder is too big to permit that, use smaller batteries (Li-ion or LiFe), then redistribute lead to the centre of the boat. The idea is to concentrate as much of the mass of the sub near the centre as possible.

Adding a horizontal baffle aligned with the usual waterline reduces/eliminates sloshing, but would be difficult to retrofit in an OTW cylinder as the tank is bonded together.
                    Hi Andy
                    yep know that. I run Nimh pack in a sealed Pvc chamber directly below the ballast tank. Ran the free flood snort Lpb Merriman system for years. I guess at days end its a personal preference system for me. The Otw system performed flawlessly on both boats today at the Tf72 25th Anniversary regatta. The biggest difference btw systems that i like more in the Merriman system is you have only 2 ballast states- full or empty. The Otw noticably starts running lighter and lighter from the first dive as its voltage dependent pumping in water under pressure. Otw is brilliant and it works, but we all have our preferences. Cheers

John
                    John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Slats
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Aug 2008

Bob
                      can i twist your arm to release the 3.75 ahead of the 3?
                      John
                      John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

Working...