X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

1:12 HL Hunley 3D files now available!

View and purchase here: https://www.rc-submarine.com/product...-in-1-12-scale

HL Hunley 3D CAD files in 1/12 scale

Designed in conjunction with Randy Sanders, these 3D files allow you to build an incredibly detailed replica of one of the most important historical submarines ever built, the confederate HL Hunley.

On February 17th, 1864, the H. L. Hunley became the first successful combat submarine in world history with the sinking of the USS Housatonic. After completing her mission, she mysteriously vanished and remained lost at sea for over a century.

Hunley, nearly 40 ft (12 m) long, was built at Mobile, Alabama, and launched in July 1863. On 17 February 1864, Hunley attacked and sank the 1,240-displacement ton United States Navy[2] screw sloop-of-war Housatonic, which had been on Union blockade-duty in Charleston's outer harbor. Hunley did not survive the attack and also sank, taking with her all eight members of her third crew, and was lost.

These 3D files allow you to build the entire hull of this historic craft, including her propeller. The builder will need to source the spars and rigging in order to complete the model fully. Internal bracing is set up to accept a 2.5" diameter watertight cylinder.

An overview video of the completed model can be viewed here: https://youtu.be/77p8CivrfCw

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201107_100847.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	145049
    Attached Files
  • coryhenry
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jul 2020

Very cool looking sub, how does it perform?

Comment

• SubDude
      Captain
      • Dec 2019

Do you have a plan for how you are going to control the dive planes?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
        Welcome to my underwater realm!
        • Aug 2009

Cory, she is undergoing trimming now. It would have been done already except for this stupid storm hanging around Florida. It's wreaking havoc with rain and wind. I don't anticipate it to be a screamer, and I don't anticipate it being a real pussycat to operate. One set of planes situated near the center won't offer any pitch control, so it will all be down to miraculous trimming. Hoping to have it wet by this weekend if things go well.

Steve, the cylinder and linkages are all completed. I ran a simple set of twin rods from the planes down the boat and to the rear output of the cylinder.
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...