X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

French Redoutable in 1:96 scale - 3D files

As an amateur hack at 3D CAD, I've experienced some degree of success in modeling a couple of submarine hulls for 3D printing now.

My first attempt was the British Astute class boat, which turned out well, but had a lot of funky faceting in the final files thanks to the shelling software I was using. My second attempt was a unique subject, the HydraSub from Captain America: First Avenger. Both of these projects are available for purchase on the Drydocks website.

My next project is turning out very well, and I'm nearly complete in generation of the files. She is the French Redoutable, rendered in 1:96 scale. While not perfect, by any stretch, the files are much better in terms of smoothness, owing to the experience I've gathered in the previous two projects.

I hope to have her available once I complete the files and print out the prototype. Stay tuned for updates!
    Attached Files
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Bob,
    I really like the boats you are doing. Something I played with a few years back was taking a length of material (PLA in my case) off the spool and use a soldering iron and spot weld pieces together. The PLA would melt and surrounding material would to, fusing everything together. The pieces I played with were small. Now that larger pieces are being done, I may re-visit that and see how it would work around a larger piece like a hull.
    Keep up the great work and how is the shoulder doing?
    Peace,
    tom
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Bob Gato
      Captain
      • Feb 2019

Très beau bateau!

Comment

• SubDude
        Captain
        • Dec 2019

Well done sir! Hello everyone! This is my first post here. I am new to RC Subs. Been flying EDF Jets mostly since 2015. Did a lot of RC stuff from the 70's until '93 previously. I purchased the Redoutable files and printed them. This is my first real RC sub and my learning boat. I am more of a missile sub lover and this just fit the ticket. I am using an Ender 3 Pro with Simify 3D and for the most part everything looked good. It took just over two spools of PLA+ to make all the parts with a few that fell out for various reasons. I did have some issues with hull8 on the tips of the tail surfaces but a minor change in S3D had it printed ok. I also had issues on some of the mast parts but that is easy to overcome. I am an old school modder utilizing whatever means necessary to make something work anyway. Here are some pictures of my project. The seam is tight and everything is straight. I have some fill work ahead of me in places but I am very pleased with how it has turned out so far. As seen in the pictures I have done some sanding but no priming yet. All the hardware has been ordered for it and I will be using a Futaba T9CAP radio converted to 75MHz. Fiberglass hulls have their place and are more expensive for various reasons but this 3D printed hull is a great way for me to get started. I really appreciate Bob's efforts to make this possible.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PhotoPictureResizer_191221_044902783_crop_1928x1458.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.0 KB ID:	135562

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20191220_181413.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.7 KB ID:	135559 ​​​​​
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20191220_181839.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.8 KB ID:	135560
        Last edited by SubDude; 12-22-2019, 03:03 AM.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
          • Aug 2009

Beautiful work!

One thing that I'm going to suggest based on my prototype build is that you lay up a 1" wide strip of epoxy and cloth over all of the seams. I actually had a seam pop on me, even after melting the seams together. If you use thin enough cloth, it shouldn't affect the placement of the bulkheads, or you could simply move the bulkheads to positions that don't overlap the seams.

Seams that had the bulkheads over them were fine, but ones that didn't have them are in danger of popping on you.

Bob

Comment

• SubDude
            Captain
            • Dec 2019

Good to know Bob. I will definitely lay up some FG cloth on the exposed seams. I finished the base fill work using the Evercoat Rage you have recommended and given it a first coat of black primer. It is really looking good at this point.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191222_012733-1944x1458.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	135579

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191222_012750-1944x1458.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	135580

Comment

• RCSubGuy
              • Aug 2009

Looking like a boat! I love it.

BTW, I just put up a complete command and control package for this boat on my site, thanks to your requests.

Comment

• Scott T
                Commander
                • May 2009

Wonder if a hook and loop could be printed on either edge of the seam to make a mechanical fastenening?
                Click image for larger version  Name:	164d65f7c583d214971c6b47cdc1f35d--mechanical-engineering-fasteners.jpg Views:	0 Size:	9.1 KB ID:	135603
                And while I'm begging maybe a keyhole joint to disassemble fore, mid or aft sections for easier transport of model.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	keyhole-slot-router-bit.jpg Views:	0 Size:	14.2 KB ID:	135604https://www.infinitytools.co.uk/photos/products/keyhole-slot-bit/keyhole-slot-router-bit.jpg

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

Sub looks beautiful. RCJetDude, look forward to seeing this completed. Advice given to me was crawl, walk, run. Keep things simple at first. You can always add more later.

Enjoy and welcome to this wonderful hobby,
                  Peace,
                  Tom
                  If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• SubDude
                    Captain
                    • Dec 2019

Here is a short video of my Redoutable sub. Happy New Year everyone.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by RCJetDude
                      Here is a short video of my Redoutable sub. Happy New Year everyone.

Good job. Looking forward to more video RCJetDude.

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...