• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ir3aus
    Lieutenant
    • Mar 2010

ir3aus 1:72 Revell Gato Build

Hi Dave,

The fittings kit supplies a stern plane assembled with a bell crank. The moment arm for the assembly is 20mm. So I assume that I will need a 20mm arm on the stern plane servo. Is this going to be a problem with clearance at the rear plane servo.

Thanks,

Iran
    There is a fine line between hobbies and mental illness!
  • ir3aus
    Lieutenant
    • Mar 2010

Thought I would pass this on to others that are about to start on the hull. After using the technique that Dave showed on the CD #1 I thought that I had a pretty solid hull. After going through the process of cutting away the top weight on the hull, I noticed a few of the seams opened up on the narrow cross bridges remaining on top. After regluing I thought it would be a good time to flood the bottom seam of the hull with cohesive for extra strength.

Iran

Comment

• ir3aus
      Lieutenant
      • Mar 2010

Revell Gato + Sub Driver and Eduard PE

Just as a general point of discussion, has anyone finished the Sub Driver Gato with the Eduard PE. I have not had a chance to go through the entire set of CD's on the Gato build but it seems that once the hull is cut, the Eduard PE can be applied without changing the integrity of the build. Hopefully there will be some discussion.

Thanks,

Iran

Comment

• ir3aus
        Lieutenant
        • Mar 2010

Eduard PE

Sorry about that. Eduard is a photoetch company from Europe. They have a very nice set of Photo Etch for the Revell 1:72 Gato. It comes in three different packages, general enhancements, deck plates and hinge plates. My concern was two fold. First will it add too much weight above the waterline and secondly will it open more of the boat to water. I am pretty naive about model submarines but learning. It turns out that the PE is very light and probably would add an insignificant amount of weight and the boat is open to the water except the WTC so where ever the deck plates are installed it means more removal of plastic lightening the boat even further.

I think I am going to use the PE and will post some updates as the PE is installed.

Comment

• ir3aus
          Lieutenant
          • Mar 2010

Running Dual Throttles

Having an F-14 I thought about splitting the two props and running them seperatly for perhaps a little more maneuverability. The Guru says OVERKILL and respecting his expertise I will use my Futaba TX for this boat.

Comment

• ir3aus
            Lieutenant
            • Mar 2010

Eduard Photo Etch On the Gato

Added the deck and side plates from Eduard. With my workmanship it looks like it has been out to sea more than once. It is in primer at the moment and some deck detail needs to go on/in.
            Attached Files

Comment

• ir3aus
              Lieutenant
              • Mar 2010

Need some help. I am including pics of the motor assembly before and after mounting servos. This in no way matches Dave's video on installing the electronics. There are no brackets for the servos as David's video shows, no bracket/plate for the RX/ESC and no place to put the pitch controller. If someone has built up the Gato SubDriver electronics with this mounting system could you please upload some pictures. Otherwise, is it possible that the correct mounting plates/brackets were not supplied in my SubDriver kit.
              Attached Files

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by ir3aus
                Need some help. I am including pics of the motor assembly before and after mounting servos. This in no way matches Dave's video on installing the electronics. There are no brackets for the servos as David's video shows, no bracket/plate for the RX/ESC and no place to put the pitch controller. If someone has built up the Gato SubDriver electronics with this mounting system could you please upload some pictures. Otherwise, is it possible that the correct mounting plates/brackets were not supplied in my SubDriver kit.
                Yes, we've improved the means of securing the servos and other devices since the introduction of the GATO SubDriver -- what you have in hand is that improved SD, or an incomplete version of it -- you're missing the servo foundation. The ESC mounts against the forward face of the device bulkhead, the LPB goes beneath the servo foundation plate, and the ADF and Lipo-Guard go either side of the servos. The following pictures and narrative will describe how to outfit the new type SD as well as a look at how the old style GATO SD went together.

Did you buy this SD straight from Caswell or from a third-party? What happened to the blue cast resin servo foundation that was pop-riveted atop the horizontal plate? That servo foundation provides a space between the servos to mount the receiver.

First, a shot of the two types of GATO SD's, the lower one is the new arrangement, the one atop is the old style described in the GATO DVD's. Notice that the old arrangement was a bit longer than the new. The new SD arrangement provides for a tighter arrangement of components and devices within the after dry space. Also note that in the new arrangement the receiver is mounted between the two pairs of servos. Oh, one more thing: your use of servo tape alone to secure the two servos just won't work -- the very high friction load on an r/c submarines servo pushrod will quickly work the servo off the tape. You need a much better anchor to secure the servo than you have there. That anchor is the blue resin servo foundation -- a must-have item. WHERE IS IT?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0087.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	58773

I've shown at the top four servos secured within the resin servo foundation I mentioned; this foundation is a feature of the new SD. A loose resin servo foundation is at the bottom of the picture. Center is a fully outfitted GATO SD: note that the receiver fits in a recess within the top of the servo foundation, the ESC is strapped at the forward face of the device bulkhead, and the ADF and Lipo-Guard (if used) are secured with servo tape to the sides of the servos.

Name:	DSCN0078.jpg
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	58776Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0085.jpg
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	58772

On the bottom of the aluminum device plate, under the servos, fits the LPB and its electronic switch. A very, very efficient packaging of all the devices needed to animate the 1/72 scale GATO model submarine.

Name:	DSCN0084.jpg
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	58774Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0083.jpg
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	58775

David,
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• ir3aus
                  Lieutenant
                  • Mar 2010

Revell Gato: Bow Plane Control Rods/Shafts Installation

Unless I completely overlooked the installation of the control rods/shafts from the SD Servos to the bow planes, there does not seem to be any step by step to get the control parts in place. CD #4 has a reference to the fact that it is the most complex part of the installation but does not go into detail. Is there a PDF or someplace on the forum which details the installation of these controls.

Thanks,

Iran

Comment

• Aug 2008

Unless I completely overlooked the installation of the control rods/shafts from the SD Servos to the bow planes, there does not seem to be any step by step to get the control parts in place. CD #4 has a reference to the fact that it is the most complex part of the installation but does not go into detail. Is there a PDF or someplace on the forum which details the installation of these controls.

Thanks,

Iran
                    Here's a means of orienting the after facing pushrods so they engage a forward facing pushrod, which would then connect to the bell-crank of a set of bow planes or sail planes. A U-shaped length of 1/16" brass rod soldered to a 1/16" wheel-collar.

David,

Name:	DSCN0191.jpg
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	58809Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0189.jpg
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	58810
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• ir3aus
                      Lieutenant
                      • Mar 2010

Re: Installation of Bow Plane Pitch and Retract Controls

There is a lot more to the installation in the Gato that the instructions and videos are not showing. I am including a picture of the parts of the SD kit that I do not know how or where to install. There is a pushrod the must go forward to control the pitch of the bow planes. I can sort of figure out that part but I can not figure out how to install the torque tube to retract the bow planes. There looks to be a bellcrank involved which is also in the pic that I have included. There are also several bushings/washers in the picture. There is also a dogbone that must be installed to retract the bow planes but I do not see any instructions how to rout the torque tube or mount the dogbone. I understand how the torque tube goes through the two mounts in the picture that I have included but do not know where to mount them to support the torque tube. This whole process needs a detailed explanation. Also, what are the two small brass tubes coming out of the SD end plate used for.

Iran
                      Attached Files

Comment

• ir3aus
                        Lieutenant
                        • Mar 2010

Sorry folks, just found more scenes on CD #4. It appears to be all there. I am guilty of cutting twice and measuring once.

Iran

Comment

• ir3aus
                          Lieutenant
                          • Mar 2010

I'm losing my mind. I thought the rest of the instructions were on the CD but they are not. I am putting this project aside for a while. It is beginning to get to me. Hopefully there is a full and complete explanation of how to hook up the bow planes to the working end of the SD. I'll get back on the project when I have the right mind set.

Iran

Comment

• Aug 2008

I'm losing my mind. I thought the rest of the instructions were on the CD but they are not. I am putting this project aside for a while. It is beginning to get to me. Hopefully there is a full and complete explanation of how to hook up the bow planes to the working end of the SD. I'll get back on the project when I have the right mind set.

Iran
                            What, specifically, can I clear up for you, Iran?

David,
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• ir3aus
                              Lieutenant
                              • Mar 2010

What is needed is a complete step by step process, preferably with pictures, to get the control linkage in for the bow planes. I thought it was on my CD's but it is not and I have no idea how the set it up. In the case of retracting the bow planes, there has to be a linear to rotational transition and it is not clear on the CD's as to how this is done.

Iran

Comment

Working...