X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Outrider
    Commander
    • Aug 2008

Iran,

You've been asking a lot of good questions about the Gato, but you start a new thread with every question. In order to keep the forum easy to read, I'm going to consolidate your posts into a single thread representing your Gato build. That way your questions and the very important answers to them are kept in one place. Hope to get that done this weekend...

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Jim and Iran:

Thank you, Jim, for organizing Iran's good questions. I'll address them in detail early next week, just as soon as things stabilize around here.

I'm not blowing you off, Iran. I've been busy of late and your pointed questions demand careful, considered, and well presented answers. I'll do that, and soon. And keep those questions coming -- what you question, others must also be in the dark about too.

David,
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• ir3aus
        Lieutenant
        • Mar 2010

Just received the servo foundation, very nice piece. I have the ESC mounted and the servos in the foundation. Should there be a piece of servo tape under each servo or is the friction fit sufficient. Also, the placement of the LIPO guard is in question. The picture show a vacuum pump in the spot where you indicate the LIPO guard should go. Out of curiosity, what is the vacuum pump used for and where should the LIPO guard go.

Thanks,

Iran
        There is a fine line between hobbies and mental illness!

Comment

• Outrider
          Commander
          • Aug 2008

ir3aus 1:72 Revell Gato Build

This is a consolidation of Iran's work on his Gato.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by ir3aus
            Just received the servo foundation, very nice piece. I have the ESC mounted and the servos in the foundation. Should there be a piece of servo tape under each servo or is the friction fit sufficient. Also, the placement of the LIPO guard is in question. The picture show a vacuum pump in the spot where you indicate the LIPO guard should go. Out of curiosity, what is the vacuum pump used for and where should the LIPO guard go.

Thanks,

Iran
            Iran,

Thanks. The fasteners are in the plastic bag along with the foundation piece, you'll use those two to secure the resin servo foundation piece to the aluminum device tray (holes already drilled in both items to pass and receive the screws). Oh ... you've already mounted the servos. Never mind.

I stick the servos in there with a dab of RTV adhesive (Permatex, 'Blue', available from Caswell). If you use servo-tape under the servos you place their output bell-cranks too high up resulting in contact between the outboard ends of the bell-cranks and the inside wall of the SD's cylinder.

I just leave my Lipo-Guard hanging loose over the ESC (forward side of the device bulkhead). Twist its wires till it sits with the LED indication lights upright, this so you can see them easily when you examine the top of the SD during your mission checks -- a quick check on the charge of the battery. When you get down to one green LED, it's time to change out the battery.

Put the devices within the SD anywhere you like. What I illustrate works for me. Maybe you have better ideas. It can happen!...

It ain't a vacuum pump, it's a LPB (Low Pressure Blower), Damit!

The LPB pumps air from the surface into the ballast tank, effecting a ballast blow without use of the stored propellant in the on-board bottle. Just like many real boats do. That's what the two 3/32" diameter brass nipples that pass through the motor bulkhead are for. One flexible hose runs up to the snorkel induction (way up within the sail). The other length of flexible hose discharges at the top of the ballast tank. The LPB sub-system will only work if you can broach the top of the sail. If you can't get the top of the sail above the surface of the water you'll have to use the gas ballast sub-system -- just a squirt of gas to put a small bubble in the tank to broach the sail, then finish emptying the ballast tank with the LPB. A slick way of doing business.

David,
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• ir3aus
              Lieutenant
              • Mar 2010

Dave and Group,

Fantastic, a new gadget to add to the build. As I mentioned very early, I am a newbie to the world of submarines and crawling up a very steep learning curve has it's minor and major stumbling blocks. I will be adding the LPB system (note that if one looks at the pictures and does not have any idea what it is, it's a vacuum pump) as it is a great addition and as the wizard has indicated, a more realistic way operate the ballast system. Now off to ordering the LPB and continuing the electronics installation. Hopefully, I am helping the next novice who dares venturing into this fascinating world of static diving subs.

Iran

Comment

• ir3aus
                Lieutenant
                • Mar 2010

Very Best on Memorial and hopefully we can get the troops out of harms way very soon. For the LPB, where does the line from the LPB go into the ballast tank? Also, for the bow planes, I understand how to install the bow plane pitch linkage. That part if the installation is pretty clear. The only part that is not clear is the linkage to extend/retract the planes.

Iran

Comment

• ir3aus
                  Lieutenant
                  • Mar 2010

Bingo!!! After a very close look at the Servo End of the SD on CD #4 I see exactly how the bow plane extend/retract linkage works. I just noticed the shaft athwart ships and that is holding the bellcrank that is part of the mechanics to convert the linear motion into rotary motion. Very clever, indeed. I can do it!!!

Thanks,

Iran

Comment

• Aug 2008

Excellent, Iran.

David,
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• ir3aus
                      Lieutenant
                      • Mar 2010

First, thanks for consolidating the threads. I have a few questions. I have the bow plane extend/retract mechanism in place but I need to glue the guides to the SD lexan tube. What is the recommended adhesive/cohesive for this. The CD and pictures show the bow plane pitch linkage two different ways. The two guides for the extend/retract mechanism are not drilled for a 1/16 brass push rod. Which is recommended, the linkage with the tubing or the brass pushrod. Also, the SD kit included some resin blocks with short tubing nipples. I assume that this is used in the ballast system. Is there a drawing or some pictures to show how these are installed and hooked up.

Thanks,

Iran

Comment

• ir3aus
                        Lieutenant
                        • Mar 2010

Need Help

Come on folks. I need to know what the extra parts in the SD kit are used for. If they are for the LDP function, please show how they are installed with some pictures. The items in question are the 3 cast resin parts, some with pipe nipples in them and one without. I am trying to finish this sub and need to know how the LDP is installed and used.

Thanks,

Iran

Comment

• Outrider
                          Commander
                          • Aug 2008

I can help with one of these. The low pressure blower (LPB or mini snort pump) needs a couple of sharp angle bends to connect from the SubDriver to a spot above periscope depth. The resin block with the 45 degree tubes goes on the aft end of the SubDriver. The 90 degree block sits roughly amidships, on top of the SubDriver but beneath the sail. The tubing you install pointing up is intended to reach air so that your sub will use the LPB to finish deballasting its tanks instead of using Propel.

Surf around the site and you'll see plenty of photos showing how this works.

Look here for an LPB schematic: http://forum.sub-driver.com/showthre...ew-LPB-hook-up

You can help by posting photos of the parts you have questions about. I don't own the Gato kit, but I've got a SubDriver or two that are similar enough.
                          Last edited by Outrider; 06-09-2010, 10:29 PM.

Comment

• ir3aus
                            Lieutenant
                            • Mar 2010

Thank you for the response. I think I see how the LPB operates. Unfortunately, the resin parts that were in this Gato SD are not the correct ones for the Gato. In fact, the Gato may not need any extra parts. The Gato SD has two tubes coming out of the aft end. One should go to the Ballast Tank and the other should go to the Sail. Internally, they go to the pump. I do not see where the tubing to the Ballast tank would go. Hopefully, David can provide an explanation of how it is done on the Gato. After finding some pics I see where the resin parts were mounted but I believe it was for the Seaview (I could be mistaken). The schematic for the channel assignments and wiring is very helpful. I was wondering how the bow and stern planes were coupled. There is one other thing. Unless I missed it completely, how is the servo for the ballast tank propellant utilized. I don't think I saw it on the schematic. Is it activated by a switch on the transmitter, a stick action, or perhaps a pot. Hopefully Dave can clarify that also.

Iran
                            Last edited by ir3aus; 06-10-2010, 01:56 AM. Reason: Needed additional information

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by ir3aus
                              Thank you for the response. I think I see how the LPB operates. Unfortunately, the resin parts that were in this Gato SD are not the correct ones for the Gato. In fact, the Gato may not need any extra parts. The Gato SD has two tubes coming out of the aft end. One should go to the Ballast Tank and the other should go to the Sail. Internally, they go to the pump. I do not see where the tubing to the Ballast tank would go. Hopefully, David can provide an explanation of how it is done on the Gato. After finding some pics I see where the resin parts were mounted but I believe it was for the Seaview (I could be mistaken). The schematic for the channel assignments and wiring is very helpful. I was wondering how the bow and stern planes were coupled. There is one other thing. Unless I missed it completely, how is the servo for the ballast tank propellant utilized. I don't think I saw it on the schematic. Is it activated by a switch on the transmitter, a stick action, or perhaps a pot. Hopefully Dave can clarify that also.

Iran
                              Iran,

Sorry about the confusion. Let's get this sorted out:

One of the resin blocks glues atop the ballast tank, a hole in the face of the block sits over a 3/32" hole you drill atop the ballast tank. 90-degrees to that block hole is a 3/32" brass nipple that points aft and makes up to the LPB discharge nipple through a length of 1/8" flexible hose. This is how discharge air from the LPB is routed to the top of the ballast tank.

Another resin block/manifold acts as an anchor glued atop the SD, under the sail. It enables a secure point that makes the 90-degree transition from the horizontal running induction hose to the motor bulkhead induction nipple and the vertical length of hose that runs up into the sail.

The bow and stern planes are not coupled together, they operate independently.

Check the schematic again. The ballast sub-system servo connects through the fail-safe and Lipo-Guard, to channel-4 of the receiver. I advocate using the transmitters left stick, left-right axis for control of the ballast tank blow and vent valves.

David,
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• ir3aus
                                Lieutenant
                                • Mar 2010

Thanks David,

In the Gato SD you supplied the casting with the 90 degree nipple with a 2" radius. The fitting with the 45 degree nipples does not fit at the end of the Gato SD where the two nipples come out for the LPB. I believe from some pics on other threads these are Seaview fittings. I changed the radius of the 90 degree fitting to 2.5" and will use just that one.

I have enough info now to finish.

Thanks,

Iran

Comment

Working...