Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bassplayer1
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Mar 2010

I did the fine sanding on the conning tower and started preparing it for molding. It was given a coat of sealer & glaze to block all the pores and tomorow I'll start waxing. God help my elbow!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Amazing work! Finest scribing work I've seen.

The indentation work over the sonar windows is a neat touch.

Maybe I missed it, but are you going to sell kits of this thing? I sincerely hope the answer is yes.

When are you going to loose the wrench flats on that fine looking propeller of your?

David,
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• bassplayer1
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Mar 2010

Hi David!

Thank you very much for the coments and, yes, I'm going to sell kits of this If everything turns out OK!
        About the wrench flats you're right, they look ugly, don't they! I'm going to turn a new hub after I finish with the molding business!
        Thanks again, Yannis

Comment

• bassplayer1
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Mar 2010

A small update! Molding process photos!

Comment

• bassplayer1
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Mar 2010

Finished with the mold. It needs a good cleaning and then I'll start waxing again to produce the first part. It didn't come out as good as expected but I think it'll do for now! I'm going to remold it at a later stage as I'm not very happy with it!

Comment

• bassplayer1
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Mar 2010

Taking advantage of the time between the wax layers I made the last detail on the deck just behind the sonar dome! I used a piece of mesh cut to size and it was glued in place with a little cyano. Then it was covered with self adhesive aluminium tape wich it was pressed with an eraser to form the lines of the mesh. I'm quite pleased with the resolt! Sorry about the black & white photos but something went wrong with the camera!

Comment

• bassplayer1
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Mar 2010

All done and the first sail came out of the mold quite allright!

Comment

• Rpmtech1
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Dec 2009

This is some professional work! i like the details, very nice.

If i may offer a suggestion, Lose the polyester resin for tooling. Its too brittle for molds with details like you have and wont last in keeping all the details clean. Epoxy makes way Tougher and longer lasting molds. You cant use chopped mat with epoxy, but you'll find that woven cloth uses less resin for the same stiffness as the mat.

Another thing is that polyester does not bond to epoxy. So if you have epoxy molds and make polyester parts, it releases easier for this reason if you miss a spot with the release agent etc. Also polyester resin shrinks quite a bit, so the parts kinda loosen up by themselves making release easier. Unfortunately Thats another reason why polyester molds are not very good, shrinkage.

Comment

• bassplayer1
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Mar 2010

Originally posted by cconeill
                    Hello Yannis
                    I am speechless!!! please send pictures often. I am enjoying your build. a real Master piece. did you work up your own plans? all the best craig

Hi craig
                    Thank you for the comments! For plans I used a 3view drawing which I downloaded from the net and lots of photos!

Comment

• bassplayer1
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Mar 2010

Hi my friend

Is your Typhoon a scratch build or is it from a kit. I bet it is a monster in size! My sub's name is not katsonis, is going to be Amphitrite! Katsonis is a type 214(Papa class). I made one of those sometime ago and you can see it in this forum under the name ΠΑΠΑΝΙΚΟΛΗΣ 1/48.

Comment

• bassplayer1
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Mar 2010

Just a small update! The progres is VERY slow due to work obligations and luck of time! Anyway I've managed to add some detail on the top of the sail and now I think is ready to be molded in RTV

Comment

• bassplayer1
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • Mar 2010

Also did the antiskids on the deck and cut the hull as shown in the photos! The reason I did this is that it gives me the option to produce three diferent types of 209(conversion kits are going to be made) just by changing the deck! The types are 209/1100,209/1200 and 209/1200AIP. The hull itself is going to be molded in GRP while the sub sail and deck are going to be molded in RTV

Comment

• bassplayer1
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Mar 2010

Hallo everyone
                            At last some progres it's been made and molding has started!

Comment

• Rpmtech1
                              Lieutenant Commander
                              • Dec 2009

Moving along nicely. Please tell me thats epoxy for the mold gellcoat.

Comment

• bassplayer1
                                Lieutenant Commander
                                • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Rpmtech1
                                Moving along nicely. Please tell me thats epoxy for the mold gellcoat.

Sir, I'm afraid I'm going to disappoint you, it's not epoxy, it's polyester gelcoat! I thought to go that way just in case I'll have to do some changes or mods and I won't waste some good and expensive material! If everything turns out OK then I'll go the proper way! Here is some more photos and a couple of videos just for the fun of it! I hope I don't bore you to death!!!

Comment

Working...