• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bassplayer1
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Mar 2010

type 209/1200 Hellenic Navy

Hallo again
    This is the one I'm working on right now! The progres is very slow due to the luck of time but anyway is moving on! Scale is 1/32 and the length is 1.75m. Made out of blue foam, covered with glass and epoxy is going to be used as the master to pull out the moulds! I thought I share it with you! Regards Yannis

• bassplayer1
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Mar 2010

Hallo everyone,
    I did a bit of work this week on my type 209 and that was casting the stern and bow dive planes, rudders and the top of the coning tower. The molds were made out of silicone rubber and then they were filled with polyurethane epoxy. Here are some photos of the result!

Comment

• bassplayer1
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Mar 2010

Comment

• bassplayer1
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Mar 2010

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Yannis,

You are a detail freak.

Guys: Yannis is a master at plan interpretation and lay-out; he obviously has accumulated a great deal of good source information on the prototype and has done, with exactness, the process of lofting the dimensions and form from his documents and on to his masters -- the careful and symmetrical work with the scribed in details is testament to his skill in these areas.

Yannis, are you going to go commercial with kits of this and your 214?

David,
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• bassplayer1
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Mar 2010

Hi David and thanks for the nice coments! Yes, I'm going commercial with both of them. With the 214 I'm almost there and with the 209 it will be about the end of the summer(hopefully).

Comment

• bassplayer1
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Mar 2010

Hi everyone, did some scribing today on the dive planes and the top rudder. It's not finished yet as I have to add some more detail but I think it's coming up OK

Comment

• bassplayer1
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Mar 2010

Hi David, here is a photo of my scribing tools. I also use a metal ruler for straight lines and masking tape as a guide for the rivets. As for stencils I use your method making them out of GRP as I saw it in one of your You Tube videos. Also use the stencils that are readily available from draughtsman stores.

Regards Yannis

Comment

• Aug 2008

Thank you so much for the quick replay. Good, sound tools and practices. I learned the GRP stencil trick from one of the best, Ben Guenther. Here's a site with some of his work:

Keep up the excellent work, Yannis!

David,
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by bassplayer1
                    Oh, my God, he is brilliant!!!
                    Ben is one of the finest Model Builders alive in the world today. It's my good fortune to know the man, he's a long-standing member of the local IPMS club. A nicer guy you never met. Neat, unassuming, always willing to answer questions and steer budding model builders (such as myself) toward 'the path'. His research, design, and execution is without a doubt the gold standard of how to practice this Craft. Every club should be so lucky as to have this kind of guy in residence.

In a hobby populated by anti-social, introverted ass-holes, who think they invented a 'secret' process or technique, Ben Guenther stands out like a shining star; there is nothing he will not help you with. In his world (and I've adopted his position), there are no secrets -- only foolish jerks who think there are secrets and selfishly endeavor to keep them to themselves.

You too have taken the time to share with us. For that we are all grateful. Please, keep the reports coming.

David,
                    Last edited by Outrider; 05-02-2010, 09:59 AM.
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• bassplayer1
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Mar 2010

Good morning to you all!
                      I started scribing some panels on the base of the coning tower and also did the torpedo doors. I'm also trying to simulate the battered panel on top of the bow. It's not finished yet but I'd like to hear your opinions as this is my first attempt of doing something like this!

Comment

• bassplayer1
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Mar 2010

I needed a brake from scribing so I spent yesterday and today making the odd shaped propeler! I think it turned out OK! I need to put it in a jig now and silver solder it and after that it will be polished!

Comment

• bassplayer1
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • Mar 2010

Hi everyone

Just a small update! Made the roots of the dive planes and the top rudder. Also corrected the lower rudder and did some dry fitting to get an idea of how she looks like!

Comment

• bassplayer1
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Mar 2010

Hallo everybody!
                            Just a small update! Started making the scopes! I hope soon enough to start moulding the hull.

Comment

• bassplayer1
                              Lieutenant Commander
                              • Mar 2010

Good evening everyone!

I finally finished with all the scribing and stuff and she was given the final coat of a two pack filler. Next is sanding with a fine wet & dry to get a smooth finish and all it's left is to add one more detail on the bow. Next step is molding!

Comment

Working...