Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
    Dave and/or Bob Martin, Ive not seen anything on cutting vent holes in the bottom hull section. Do you think I need to get some holes in there or should I just skip it?

Goff provided those big-ass, square flood-drain holes in the bottom of the hull. Use 'em! The problem is venting the top of the hull, not getting water in and out through the bottom. I solved that by hinging the two deck hatches so they would 'burp' open when diving to get that air out. Like so:

M
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      Welcome to my underwater realm!
      • Aug 2009

Yeah.. what he said!

Also, be sure to vent the wheelhouse as that is the highest part of the boat. I usually put a pair of small holes on either side of the raker mounting flange where it is somewhat hidden from view. Also use the two round vent-looking thingies just in front of the skiff as a great place to put two holes as well.

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Thanks Gents. Bob made me up a set of Sub-driver mounting braces. Im just too lazy, especially when I can get someone else to make them for me. Also, I took the motor out of the rear compartment so I could order its replacement. The stock motor is 24mm in diameter and has a 2mm shaft. Using that info I ordered the brushless motor and ESC as well as the programming card. Its on the way via the "Kobiashi Maru".
        IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Jesus H Christ-on-a-crutch! Can you NOT tear up my SD's, Mark!???.....

Why do you want so much torque for that boat?

What's wrong with you?!

M
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Dave...............now weve been thru this before.............this boat has to reach "COLLISION SPEED" for the camera. If it doesnt work for some God forsaken unknown reason...........then no harm done. I can put it back the way it was. Nothing ventured , nothing gained.

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Look at it this way. Mr. Goffs star of the movie was the Nautilus. He designed its shape to be like a saw or knife to tear thru wooden war ships. The only way that would work is with Kinetic energy or SPEED. I believe I will be breaking new ground in that ive never heard of anyone approaching this model from that angle. If successful then it will more completely resemble the Nautilus in operation. If this is a flop then Ill be the first to admit it. The hull, with its numerous saw teeth , is definitely gonna bring with them the penalty of unwanted hydro dynamic drag. I can foresee the difficulty of getting enough power down to get the speed and at the same time not having enough stability in the water as to maintain itself upright. It will then spin like a drill bit. But I am excited to be able to give it a try. And as usual Dave, Im sure I will be needing your help to make it successful.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Fair nuff'. Looking forward to what a 'fast' N will do under the water. You're blazing a new trail here, Mark. I'll help where I can.

M
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• bwi 971
                  Captain
                  • Jan 2015

Maybe with all the saw teeth it will turn into a supercavitating nautilus, ……something like the Russian VA-111 Shkval.

grtz,
                  Bart
                  Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
                  "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• Subculture
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

A modeller over here scratchbuilt a Nautilus about 35 years ago. Being pre-internet, plans weren't available so the model was built using stills he shot from the film when it was shown on TV. If you compared it with models out now you would see the errors, but considering the material he was working with, it came out very well.

Anyway this model was about four feet long and powered by a geared 800 size motor- so plenty of poke. However the only way he could keep the thing under control when really running it hard was to bring the boat up on the step, so the bow was out of the water. the boat had a pair of hydroplanes mounted behind the prop, so this was easy to achieve.

So by all means crack on, but be prepared for possible disappointment with trying to emulate the film- they cheated anyway!

Comment

• greenman407
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Thanks Subculture and Bart. I will endeavor to persevere.

Comment

• greenman407
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

Bob Martins Nautilus Drydocks has a kit of LEDs designed for this boat. So I ordered it today. I havent forgotten about this boat. With plenty of things to do, Ill eventually get back around to it.

Comment

• Aug 2008

I've been working on and off on another 31" Brodeen Disney NAUTILUS. This one I milled much of the dead weight (lowering the above waterline displacement substantially). Here's all the blood and gore as well as the gimbal actuator mechanism used to tilt the propeller shaft about the yaw and pitch axis (the scale hydroplanes are hopelessly useless because of the masking effect of the big horizontal strakes).

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...