X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MFR1964
    Detail Nut of the First Order
    • Sep 2010

Overhauling the Walter V80

Like most guys i own several subs, a few years ago i made a scratchbuild Walter V80, it worked perfectly with some minor issue's, one thing never worked out fine, the scopes.
    Due to the limited space inside there was only place for a small airbottle, this limited the usage to 15 times up and down, had to open up the boat for recharging the airbottle, now i've designed the scope system of the XXIII i decided to overhaul the V80.

Allready cleaned out the hull, a job of less than 30 minutes, arrrgh!! it took several months in the past to get it in, i will rebuild the entire inside with new technologie.

Left the cables inside as well as the batteries, probably have to add some wiring and will modify the divingsystem and scopes with the help of those neat small LPB pumps.
    This is going to be fun!!!!

Manfred.
    I went underground
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

You screaming maniac! IT WAS WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!

M
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
      • Sep 2010

(looking with a innocent face) So????

Manfred.
      I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
        • Sep 2010

As for me, still grinding away on the wires, have to make some new diagrams for the technical handbook.

The frontpart, still looking messy, allready marked some cables and making plans to place more.

Also sorting out the rearpart, that print is the hart of my waterdetection system, the relais at the background is steered by the float, it does two things, above the water it will keep the ADF2 offline, no annoying swinging diveplanes on dry land.
        Once underwater it will activate the ADF2, and will block the peroscope steering in the future, since this is a dry boat i can't use underpressure my seals will get floated.

Once the cables are sorted out i'll have a go at the peroscope system, have to build the airvalve rigg and modify the scopes to single action.
        I went underground

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

I like my ADF2 running. How do you know it works unless it works?
          Manfred, I really enjoy seeing the guts of your sub. There is something morbidly fascinating looking at the innards spilled out. Looking to learn from you.
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• MFR1964
            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by trout
            I like my ADF2 running. How do you know it works unless it works?
            That's the easy part, flip the buoye up to simulate underwater travel, and you can test your ADF, even with the ADF switched off, i always at any time can control the dive planes by the stick.

Yep, I must be barking mad to rip open a fully functional sub, (at least David agrees i'm), but with some new age stuff inside, i'm aiming for some higher underwaterspeed, smooth working scopes, and a shorter divingtime.
            Most of you guys are running with the trusty SD, a dryboat such a the V80 is a bit different story, but at the end it does the same, it's fun for me upgrading her to better performance.

Manfred.
            I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
              • Sep 2010

Done some work on the peroscope system, builded the rigg to support the air switch, next weekend i'll do some testing and refurbish some wiring.

Used a big old fashion servo to hold the rigg which holds the airswitch.

The layout of switches is pretty much the same as inside the XXIII, only some more room to place them.

Using a big servo gives the oppertunity to place the compressor this way, it still stays compact.

Hooking up the airlines, plugged up the other connections on the airswitch, when you use the one Romel has discovered, this will make it even more easier, no plugging up needed.

Everything is hooked up for testing, still need to make some electrical connections before i can start testing.

Manfred.
              I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                • Sep 2010

Cleaned up the machine room, and made the wiring tight, still have to add a testing button to the waterdetection system, but that can be done later.

Manfred.
                I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                  • Sep 2010

Did today some testing with the scopes, enjoy

Still have to tinker the scopes and make some modification on the airswitch.

Manfred.
                  I went underground

Comment

• redboat219
                    Admiral
                    • Dec 2008

Manfred
                    Just want to share this alternative airswitch. It's called a 3 way stopcock and it's used to connect IV lines.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	3waysc-apart.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	92169

You could put it directly on top of servo.
                    Last edited by redboat219; 09-28-2014, 09:10 PM.
                    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• MFR1964
                      • Sep 2010

Neat find and idea Romel, i wonder if it will be possible to use it for venting the tanks of my dryboats, have to do some hunting inside the local hospital.

Manfred.
                      I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                        • Sep 2010

It has been some busy weeks, opened up the ballasttank and removed the lead, added the inlets to make it a open ballasttank and placed the LPB for both the ballasttank and peroscope system, pictures

Cutted free those humps of lead, this is the total amount inside the tank, cleaned them up and shot some primer on them to prefent corrosion.

A peek inside my ballasttank, the upstanding tube is placed in such way to catch all the last airbubbles, on the left of the pic you can see that circulair shape, that's my collector for air, the tube inserts into the collector.
                        The silicon hose is ment for the LPB, placed it as high as possible inside the tank, a poor imitation of David's design, you have to row with the paddles you have, as long as this works i'm satisfied.

A view at the bottom, made some inlets from brass and glued them with epoxy glue, drilling those holes inside the tank was a bit against my nature, a sub has to be watertight, not perforated with holes through the hull.

A bit difficult to see, but the LPB for venting the tank is placed against the wall of the hull, the other one is placed inside a small plastick tray, with the type XXIII i had some leak issue's, inside my dryhull it's more difficult to detect if there are some water droplets inside, hope to catch them this way.

Placed the receiver on the opposite wall of the LPB, simply used two sided sticky tape, it can be easely removed.

Also made a connection on the wateralarm for testing on the bench, it can simply be unplugged when not needed.

Allready shot some raw vids, first have to edit them, be patient.

Manfred.
                        I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                          • Sep 2010

The vid is edited, for now all pieces are back inside, did some final testing on the bench, made the ballasttank 250 cc smaller inside with some foam, next week i'll resume testing inside the bath for some trimming.

Manfred.
                          I went underground

Comment

• redboat219
                            Admiral
                            • Dec 2008

What made you change from a water pump/ vented tank to a LPB dive system?
                            Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• MFR1964
                              • Sep 2010

Romel,

It took 3 minutes to take her down with a peristaltic pump and a closed ballastttank, with the LPB and open vented ballasttank this should become a lot shorter.
                              Next weekend she will be tested in the bath, i'll report back with the new divingtime and surface time.

Manfred.
                              I went underground

Comment

Working...