X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Albion
    Captain
    • Dec 2008

Digs? There's a right side and a wrong side to get out if the bed
    Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

I'm sorry, I'm the guy who got this thread off-topic. I should have kept my smart-ass remarks to myself. Sorry about the pig-pile I started there, Darrin. Otherwise, I'm very much enjoying this mine-hunting model Darrin has come up with.

So, guy's: please keep the comments focused on Darrin's build.

Thanks.

M
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• ffr2608
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Oct 2009

Rennshape rails in for the hull join pins. Built the trolley catch in brass.

Comment

• ffr2608
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Oct 2009

Started to build the snorkel base. CF helicopter blade is the perfect fit and will keep the topsides as light as possible. Plan to do light detailing up top to simulate the real deal.

Comment

• ffr2608
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Oct 2009

Since the Nacken is on hold, I decided to get the hull to sea trial condition. Everything is blocked in and sanded to an acceptable level for testing. Blending the carbon helo blade to the base was a real treat and I would not wish that on anyone. Still more tuning on it. Caps for the detachable sonar are done. Most ballast lead will be inside it. Time to move on to the 2.75" endcaps and place an order to McMaster Carr.

Comment

• MFR1964
              Detail Nut of the First Order
              • Sep 2010

Darrin,

I always like strange boats, your build is looking excellent, how do you want to steer her?, are you going to use a V tail mixer?

Manfred.
              I went underground

Comment

• ffr2608
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Oct 2009

Thanks for the nice comments...Yes, V tail mixing. Fins are linked together by side but turn in different directions. Did some pull tests in the pool and seemed to work very well.

Comment

• ffr2608
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Oct 2009

Here are 2 shots showing an exaggerated right turn. The front fins are trying to create a left roll are the rear are counteracting it with a right roll. Turns will be tight, even with the throws reduced to 25 degrees or so. I'm not planning on hot rodding this thing so the low lead should keep everything level if the boat is driven relatively scale.

Last edited by ffr2608; 06-01-2014, 11:37 PM.

Comment

• ffr2608
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Oct 2009

Started building the WTC for this thing. The goal is to have a running boat by the San Francisco regatta in 5 weeks. Endcap is reversed on this one. Bow cap holds the rack and the stern is separate. I really wanted to have the linkages short and easy to access. Dumas dogbone is held in place by a bit of silicone so it mates up at the rear when the endcap is slid on. 55 turn integy direct should be plenty for the impeller. Wish I had more room for a reduction.

Comment

• greenman407
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

If not, they make more winds for those Crawlers. I think I have seen up to an 85
                      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• ffr2608
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Oct 2009

Got the WTC assembled and did a float test. As I was starting to suspect, The upper snorkel is too heavy and there is not enough reserve buoyancy to add weight in the keel. I am almost too heavy to even successfully run the boat. BUMMER......

Solution: I am going to make this the fictional MKII version that is electric only with no snorkel. It actually looks better without it and I have way too much time to scrap the build. Will probably do a stubby sail with a couple antennas coming out of it. Side note, the prop and appendages work great.

Comment

• greenman407
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

Are you sure that there isnt some room to squeeze some foam in somewhere, like between the WTC and upper skin? How about a smaller, lighter battery? Is the snorkel hollow or solid? Increase the length of your WTC. Once you get more buoyancy add a small amount of weight to the tips of your lower control surfaces to offset the weight of your snorkel. If its hollow , seal it up real good so no water gets in. If its solid, can you make it hollow? Reduce weight where you can. How about those heavy brass pushrod seals? Can they be replaced with plastic ones?
                          Last edited by greenman407; 08-14-2014, 09:39 PM.

Comment

• ffr2608
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Oct 2009

Every open space has foam in it and I am just about neutral with very little ballast in the keel. For now, I will run it with a shortened mast. The long mast is carbon and very light. To effectively build this boat, I would double the size and really pay attention to where the weight goes. I'm guessing the actual boat used a stabilization system to keep it level. Especially on the surface. It looks like it's going to run really well with the adjusted mast.

D

Comment

• ffr2608
                              Lieutenant Commander
                              • Oct 2009

Got the paint all sorted out. Went with some light chipping to reduce the appearance of future scratches. I also fabbed up a temporary antenna bracket. Looks OK for now. We'll see If I ever do the long one again. I also like the contrasting color of the towed array.Time for sea trials.

DH

Comment

• greenman407
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

Looks like a probe from some science fiction movie.

Comment

Working...