Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

I limit build threads to one forum now, along with updates on the Dive-in Facebook page. This cuts down on having to answer the same questions in triplicate. I have posted build threads on the yellow sub and the miniature Delphin over on SubCom. Also there is the BCI Nautilus and K250 P-sub, which don't have build threads but perhaps could do with something posting up about them. I don't claim to be a prolific builder, but I prefer to build from scratch and the subjects I choose are often challenging with little or no previous builds to compare with. Also like many modellers, you sometimes hit a brick wall with a project and have to put it up on a shelf for a while until you can think up a solution or one presents itself.

Comment

• ffr2608
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Oct 2009

When I post at that other site, I copy paste the entire thing over here. It's a great way to keep our forums filled with content. I will take a look at sub.com so I can compare my ugly boats with yours....Many of mine are still on the shelf too.

D

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

On that topic, I agree with Darrin. Post often and post everywhere we can. Wave the Flag wherever and whenever we can.

This little hobby of ours is on the ropes: no real 'new-blood' is coming into the game; we are loosing the support of the r/c manufacturers; good bodies of water in which to operate are going away to development and regulations; and we old farts are fading away: just look at the British site, it's not terribly active and those who run it are facing issues of their own -- what's happening there will soon plague the other sites.

Yeah ... do one WIP, copy it, and smear it across every forum, BB, and discussion group you can find that will host it.

This hobby (along with any other craft that involves the creative use of hands) is going slowly down the drain. I suggest we don't let that happened without a good fight.

M
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• crazygary
          Captain
          • Sep 2012

Yay, tho we walk through the shadow of the valley of death, don't
          mean we can't kick a little A** along the way!!

"Name taking is optional"!!!!

CG

Comment

• crazygary
            Captain
            • Sep 2012

O.K.!! O.K.!! How 'bout this...
            ...valley of the shadow of death...! Huh!!
            Senior brain fart there!!

CG

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

I don't believe the lack of fresh faces coming into the game has much to do with any of those factors.

There's much better equipment available in this hobby than there was years ago, and the opportunity to use good water here in the UK has never been better (and from my own observations the U.S doesn't seem to be that hard up either).

What there is a lack of in this country, is the right kind of attitude to make it happen. You mention a British site, I assume you're referring to the AMS. The forum administrator has thrown in the towel and taken his ball home. Why? The attitude of a small number of individuals. Sadly it isn't the younger members causing problems, it's the senior members who insist on things being done a certain way and which doesn't work any longer.

Comment

• Peter W
                Captain
                • May 2011

Hang on a minute I am 35, does that make me an old fart ? reading a comment Andy made elsewhere about not knowing anyone in there 20's, 30's etc I have been building subs since I was 21, a Sheerline Trafalgar.

Peter
                Last edited by Peter W; 05-17-2014, 10:33 AM. Reason: I am an idiot

Comment

• ffr2608
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Oct 2009

The resources are there. The desire to use them and actually build something is not. "I want it now and don't want to build it". That goes for young and old over here........

D

Comment

• Subculture
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Peter W
                    Hang on a minute I am 35, does that make me an old fart ?

No, it makes you an exception to the rule. Most of the active UK members in this hobby are in their six decade or beyond. You do see the odd younger member coming along, but they're quite a rarity.

Do you know any other model submariners in your age bracket? Ever attended any shows or events (I don't recall having met you).

Comment

• ffr2608
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Oct 2009

41 and the second youngest member of my club.......

Comment

• Peter W
                        Captain
                        • May 2011

Andy, No we haven't met although we live within 30/40 miles of each other......give or take. The only 2 other sub guys I know are in their late 60's early 70's. As you can see from my Akula build life gets in the way sometimes and my attendance at shows etc have been few and far between. My age in the hobby was actually an issue at one Sandown Park event, I was at the time an AMS member, probably 23 or 24, and as such introduced myself to the stand staff, they weren't interested in me. I didn't renew my membership.

Hopefully I will get enough time to bring the Akula and my others to a Dive In event in the not too distant future.

Peter

Comment

• Subculture
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

You're not the first person I've heard that from, and I don't think you'll be the last. I used to be a regular attendee at Sandown, as I was also a member of the AMS up until 2006, but couldn't always make it as I have to work some weekends. That show has sadly gone the way of the dodo.

Comment

• ffr2608
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Oct 2009

Control surfaces are built. Center rods will somehow link up to the WTC in the aft section. You can see that the controls are split by side and rotate opposite each other.

Figured out what to use for the long snorkel.....Midsize RC helicopter blades. Perfect length, chord and very light.

Comment

• Subculture
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

Unusual to see you using CSM in place of cloth.

Comment

• ffr2608
                                Lieutenant Commander
                                • Oct 2009

Andy,

To sum up your contributions to this thread:

2 digs on my actual model
                                4 off topic posts.

You have made my point on post 13.

D

Comment

Working...