Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Does this help?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	oscar plans 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	97905
    I believe this is for an Oscar, but would the antenna be universal? Scratch that, it is a lot different. Never mind.
    (Please do not flog me for being an idiot)
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• HardRock
      Vice Admiral
      • Mar 2013

Doesn't help with the Alpha but it will certainly help with the OSCAR! Thanks.

Comment

• Peter W
        Captain
        • May 2011

Scott,

This is the only pic I can find of the masts with any sort of resolution but................................can't believe it has come to this ..................it is a model....

Name:	alfa 31.jpg
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	97930

Not sure if or how it helps .............................but there are Russian words so it must be pretty reliable right ?

Peter

P.S. If you want all of those Oscar plans that Tom posted PM me your email address and I can send them to you there are 4 sheets and it looks pretty accurate.

Comment

• HardRock
          Vice Admiral
          • Mar 2013

Thanks Peter. The radome looks too big and the side plate antennas are missing. Looks like another "best guess" to me.

Comment

• bwi 971
            Captain
            • Jan 2015

I was planning to head for the basement when I clicked on your post.....I have the same pics as Mark and Peter. Looked for other pics of subs I have but crashed and burned. But I was intrigued by this so I went deeeeeeep into the WWW.

Eventually (after some hours looking around, never can let go, don’t worry, I’ts some brain thing of mine) I came up with the right specs of this thing it’s an MRP-23.
            Then googled it and came up with this.

Name:	Mrp 23.jpg
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	97941
            It’s out of a book “The Naval Institute Guide to World Naval Weapon Systems”.
            There was also an Oscar equipped with such one see tekst:

Long recognized as the most comprehensive reference work available on the subject, this guide remains the only complete reference to the weapons currently in service in ships, submarines, and naval aircraft around the world. It is the only book of its type to explain the transformation of the U.S. Navy into a network-centric force, a transformation that has had immense consequences for choices of tactics, weapons, services, and the systems coordinating them. This guide also offers unparalleled coverage of the weapons, sensors, and command systems of the world's navies, both those the U.S. Navy works with and those it may have to fight.Written by one of the world's leading naval analysts, the book describes the weapons and systems in detail and examines the crucial relationship between them. Completely rewritten and newly illustrated, this edition makes a special effort to provide a clear and precise account of how weapon technology has changed to meet the new tactical and strategic challenges facing international naval forces today. Cutting-edge information is found throughout, enhanced by many new and rarely seen photographs and drawings. For example, this volume offers an unusually full account of the system of systems under development by the U.S. Navy and the other services to fight future limited regional wars. That initiative includes the changing role of space resources as they affect war on, over, and under the sea. This edition also benefits from the flood of material from Russia, whose weapons and systems are now owned and operated by numerous countries and are likely to be sold to many more.The guide provides uniquely detailed coverage of weapons developed and deployed in the Far East, an area that promises to be the liveliest scene of naval action in the future. Extensive sections are devoted to explaining the intricate workings of sensors and command systems. No other book, or even set of books, offers this sort of material in such accessible form. Its detail and completeness are backed by the authority of a long-established professional expert. For the most complete and up-to-date information about weapons in every navy in the world, this is the essential resource--a work that, in effect, can serve as a textbook of modern naval technology.

Name:	OscarMPR 23.jpg
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	97942

Maybe others can find more with this info……I’m off…..Akula time.
            Grtz,
            Bart
            Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
            "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• Peter W
              Captain
              • May 2011

Kudos to Bart for the number makes searching a lot easier...........well no actually this was a ESM mast during the cold war, very hard to find pics. The Nato code name is Brick pulp for 1 and Snoop Head/Bald Head for the other. MRP-21A and MRP-23 seem to be the 2 numbers to search. Now 1 was very common (Brick Pulp) and the other (Snoop Head/Bald Head) was only fitted only to the Alfa and for a brief time the Oscar I. Brick Pulp although very similar is actually slightly longer.

Here are some pics of Brick pulp......Don't worry I am still looking for the other.....

Name:	delta III 1.jpg
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	97954

Name:	vic 11.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	97955

Name:	vic 111.jpg
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	97956

Peter
              Last edited by Peter W; 03-21-2015, 04:37 PM. Reason: I am an idiot

Comment

• Peter W
                Captain
                • May 2011

Right I also think that the ill-fated Mike class carried Snoop Head/Baldhead....

Name:	Mike 11.jpg
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	97960

Name:	mike 1111.jpg
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	97961

Also some more Alfa pics...

Name:	alfa 9994.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	97962

Name:	alfa 9993.jpg
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	97963

Name:	alfa 9995.jpg
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	97964

Peter
                Attached Files

Comment

• bwi 971
                  Captain
                  • Jan 2015

Great stuff Peter......I was typing a reply when you came up with these pictures......all this makes it posible to assemble a scale Mrp-23.

This forum is not normal.…..wonderful stuff…..my RAM is screaming for a break.

grtz,
                  Bart
                  Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
                  "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• HardRock
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Mar 2013

Thanks men. Back to the shed!

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

I was racking my brain, I thought I saw an article about Russian masts/antennas. I looked through the old SubCommittee Reports and back in issue 20 and 21, I found what I was looking for.

Name:	SCR20-Russian Radar.jpg
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	97974
                      and

Name:	SCR21-Russian Radar.jpg
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	97975
                      To me, the town idiot, it looks like a combination of two antenna. The Punch Bowl from the top photo and Rim Hat from the bottom image. Perhaps there was a modification of making the disks little domes.
                      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• HardRock
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Mar 2013

They look a bit dodgy Mate. The photographs of "Park Lamp" look a bit elliptical rather than the squarish shape that I see. "Pert Spring" looks a bit too squat.

I did find these on an obscure Polish site:

Name:	alfa6.jpg
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	97976Click image for larger version

Name:	alfa2.jpg
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	97977

Comment

• HardRock
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Mar 2013

And another from behind the curtain!

Name:	6b1be95e6585732b.jpg
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	97978

Comment

• Peter W
                            Captain
                            • May 2011

You have just stolen my thunder! Just found this site!

Did you see this one of the bridge...

Name:	alfa 9996.jpg
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	97979

Peter
                            Last edited by Peter W; 03-22-2015, 06:42 AM. Reason: I am an idiot

Comment

• HardRock
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Mar 2013

Pretty cool, huh? I think I have enough to get the MRP-23 looking like it should. Another surprise was that the mast forward of that is a periscope rather that (as I imagined) a sensor of some kind. Also have to modify the forward commanders periscope as the bulge (mid-shaft) looks quite different to what I imagined.

Name:	alfa3k.jpg
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	97980Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000719.jpg
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	97981

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                                • Aug 2008