X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ffr2608
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Oct 2009

Tom,

The drawing is pretty much what I was thinking. Cutting the red and white and building a small circuit board to solder everything to. Looking for any options here. I am familiar with the beads too. Should I try them as well?

D

Comment

• ffr2608
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Oct 2009

Still trying to work out the electrical glitching.....For now, I'm working on the hull seam.

D

Comment

• ffr2608
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Oct 2009

Just finished up the control surfaces. Nice and smooth and no binding. Does anyone have a source for the double U joints that can handle more than the Dumas dog bones? Need it for 6mm.

Thanks,

D

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

I havent been able to find any metric ones but , 6mm is .236,,not too far off from 1/4"(.25) These are plastic so they are light weight, shouldnt have enough weight to throw it out of balance and cause vibration.
          You could use these. Stock Drive Products doesnt have a direct link to each individual product so I posted the link to the catalog page and showed a picture of the product. Call them and tell them what you need.https://sdp-si.com/eStore/Catalog/Group/812Click image for larger version

Name:	Ujoints.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	91588
          IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Hey! Rube Goldberg: Why the intermediate rocker-arms in the linkage???!!!!.....
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Prop Shop do a nice range of heavy duty couplings-

We supply a large range of model boat propellers. Most propellers are made to order however we do keep a selection of popular scale props.

You can use one at the motor end, and a second at the prop end.

Also Raboesch do ball and cup joints with the splined inserts like their cardan couplings. Inserts are available in imperial and metric sizes. Plastic but should be more than strong enough for this model, as they're listed as suitable for i.c. use.

Comment

• ffr2608
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Oct 2009

Dave, You know this......
                With yoked together fins, I am limited to about 70 degrees of travel. (yoke hitting the drive shaft and appendage shaft) That is fine for conventional boats but with an X tail, hard right and hard dive (sometimes caused by pitch controller) can travel way past these amounts; colliding with the shafts.....NO YOKES
                The intermediate is an easy way to give equal throw at each appendage because the arms coming out of the tube are not always linear in direction. A bit of wiggle will give uneven angles on the planes.
                Just a couple extra bucks in hardware and no added slop if you build it tight......

D

Comment

• Aug 2008

Can't argue with that, Darrin. Thanks.

M
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• ffr2608
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Oct 2009

WTC mounting finished and all linkages are done. Ready for a float and trim test. Just need to pick up an inflatable pool to start trimming.

D

Comment

• greenman407
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Looks really good. Looks like you used pick-up truck bed liner paint on the insides. Good Idea. And you also found your drive shaft coupler.
                      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• ffr2608
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Oct 2009

I finally got the Neptune in the test tank today. Surface trim done in about 5 minutes. Submerged trim within a half hour. Fastest one I have ever done.
                        First shot is leak testing the tube. 3rd shot is of the steel bars I used. Came out of some workout ankle weight belts. (local pool says "NO LEAD") Sprayed them and the blue foam with Plastidip. It really does a good job of preventing rust. It also seals the foam up better and makes everything black. Very clean......Final shot is the finished periscopes and tower. Just a few details to do in the bridge area.(electronics, zincs, etc...)

D

Comment

• ffr2608
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • Oct 2009

Here is the final surface trim at about 95% full tank. Tail heavy like they used to run them on the surface. Also started cleaning up for final paint.

D

Comment

• Aug 2008

Nice! It's a joy watching a Master at work.

M
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• ffr2608
                              Lieutenant Commander
                              • Oct 2009

Thanks Dave. It was noted elsewhere that the nose is too high. Trim was a bit off at the time of photo but I plan to have it sit like this.....

Comment

• trout
                                Admiral
                                • Jul 2011

Is there any chance that the aft end was caught under the edge of that "test tank"? I had one of those, and they are great, however with the rounded, tubular sides, I needed to make sure the sub was not resting against it while trimming.
                                Your sub is really looking great. I think any adjustments to trim become minor at this point, don't you?
                                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...