Converting the Bronco type XXIII to RC

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

... the things we do to get the right lighting!

The Goddess of the house temporarily pleased, her humble minion scuttles quickly to the Cave, genuflecting all the way.

David
    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 05-09-2013, 09:43 AM.
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
      Detail Nut of the First Order
      • Sep 2010

It has been some time, but while i was busy with the diorama, i solved the issue of splitting the boat when i have problems inside.
      Unlike David i can't reach inside when the boat is glued together, i went for a screw connection all the way around, made the last provisions today, i'll post some pictures later to show what i've done, be patient.

Manfred.
      I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
        • Sep 2010

Today i took some pics, so buckle up and enjoy

This is where i stand now, all parts placed semi-permanent by using small brass M2 screws

Now she is looking like a humpback whale, the first stage in separating both hull parts.

Made some lips onto the exhauscover, by unscrewing this you can lift it up.

Made a small brass hook at the end of the exhaustcover, this will ensure that it can't lift up during driving the boat.

To connect both halves together i came up with this, small conical head screws, once placed i can cover them by filler.

Once you removed all screws you can separate both halves, the brass lips are now visible, a hell of a job to make them all, i'm not too patient at making parts massproduced, it's boring.

The conningtower is more or less connected the same way as my exhaustcover.

Once the conningtower is removed you can see the lips and again a small brass hook in front to keep everything thight at the hull.

Are you guys satified yet?, or do you want to see more?

Manfred.
        I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

OK, it's official: you're the King of complexity.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
            • Sep 2010

You may say majesty.

Manfred.
            I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

Your Majesty (ouch! .... that hurt!)
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• herrmill
                Commander
                • Dec 2008

Manfried, your split hull reminds me of an old double-barrel shotgun I used to have. Nice work!

BTW, if you need anymore of those terra cotta warriors to add to your collection, let me know. I shipped several full size replicas a few years back to one of my customers for a grand opening event.

Comment

• MFR1964
                  • Sep 2010

Thanks for the offer for more terra cotta guys, if She Who Must Be Obeyed knows you can get live size one's, i'm in trouble, allready have some halve scale one's of the sitting figures, if she had the chance she would litter the garden with them.

And now back to where i've ended the report of yesterday,

Since it's possible to split the hull without making major damage, i had to find a solution fore those wooded deckplanking, this is the first stage of getting them off.

You can lift all three off together in one move.

This construction gives me also some more strenght to those flimsy parts, added a stainless steel rod of 1 mm underneath, which is bended 45 degrees on one side and 90 degrees on the other side, allowing me to 'hook' them at their place, gravity will do the rest.

Gave the single one the same treatement, it 'unhooks' the same as it's bigger brother.

All little screws are now in reach, followed David as for making the same ventholes on top.

When i've unscrewed everything you end up with this, a pile of styrene parts.

Using this construction with the little screws makes it possible to take her apart when needed, causing as less damage as possible, i'll probably will glue down the nose part with CA, but that can be cut free when needed.
                  Now this hurdle is taken, i can turn my attention to the SD, and start molesting David's design again.

Manfred.
                  I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

My poor SD! LOL.

Good honest, rational engineering there, Manfred! What a wonderful kit Bronco developed.

Revell of Germany's releasing that 1/72 Type-9 later this year. You ready for it, pal?

Hey! I like that trick with the planking. I'll steal it from you. (I copy only from the best).

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                      • Sep 2010

The guys of Bronco indeed made a nice kit, never suspected i was able to get my hands on the type XXIII so soon, and as a bonus on 1/35 scale !!!, looks nice together with my 1/35 type VIIC, have to adjust my static display in the future to display both boats.

No type IX for me, there is still a type XVII waiting to be finished, it's on hold now, but it will be finished.

You can steal whatever you want laddy, as long as we share our idea's with everybody, it's OK with me.

Manfred.
                      I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

Thank you, sir. I read your threads with continued interest.

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• goshawk823
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • Oct 2010

Awesome stuff Manfred. Looks like your damn close to getting her into the water. Now get those torpedoes working...lol.

Comment

• MFR1964
                            • Sep 2010

Thanks Sam,

I wish that was true, she nothing more than a empty shell, the SD is scedualed next coming weeks, f*ck!! David is going to hit the water first!!!!, i hate it when i'm not the first one, my only excuse is, he sabotaged me with sending my SD too late, yeah, that must be it

Manfred.
                            I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                              • Sep 2010

Despite it was a bit cold and started to rain, we had out yearly submeet, lots of new models, old friends, and made new friends, enjoyed driving my boats.
                              The 212 was lost for some time, but the emergency bouy saved the day, i could pull her in like a fish on a hook, no water inside after this adventure.

Enjoy this short vid,

Manfred.
                              I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

Good stuff, Manfred. I see a few other Bronco 1/35 Type-23's started.

Got my 23 in the water today and popped its cherry. Had to move the c.g. forward before it was manageable in pitch. Fast and a very good turning radius -- about seven-feet.

Film later.

David
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...