X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MFR1964
    Detail Nut of the First Order
    • Sep 2010

David,

Don't worry about that, it happens in the heat of the battle, that's called passion for the hobby.

Manfred.
    I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
      • Sep 2010

Last few days i went ahead with the connectionsystem of the two hull parts, it's looking promising.

Both hullparts joined together by my system.

The seem is almost invisible.

Seperating the hull, i used a jewellersaw to get the exhaustcover splitted from the conningtower.

You can slide the SD out of the hullparts, for now i have to build it up in such way that i can use it for my way of splitting the hull.

Manfred.
      I went underground

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Slick. Manfred the Maniac is at it again.
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Slow down, damit!

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

Are you kidding me? Don't slow down (getting up to grab some popcorn).
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Warpatroller
              Lieutenant
              • Dec 2012

Will be interesting to see how your vertical hull split works out.
              "Wir kommen ihnen unbekannt."

Comment

• MFR1964
                • Sep 2010

Steve,

I fear i haven't been clear enough, this is the vertical splitsystem, some time ago i ordered some rare earth magnets for my OSA 2 boat, wanted to make a "click on" system for the upperstructure, you could only buy them by 10.
                Decided to give it a try at the type XXIII, they are quite strong and do the job well.

You can see the four magnets glued on the rearpart.

On the front part they are hidden behind the circuitboard frame, even without the SD inside i can turn the boat upside down without splitting it, when you insert the SD it acts like a backbone, even giving me more rigidity, seperating both halves with the SD inside needs more strenght compared to a empty boat, giving me two things at the same time, no machinescrews needed and no extra tools to split the boat.

Manfred.
                I went underground

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

I love magnets! Manfred, that is a great way to hold things together.

Comment

• Aug 2008

I hate to say it, but I'm liking what Manfred's doing here.

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                      • Sep 2010

Tom,

I was searching a way to keep both halves together, machinescrews where the first option, untill i stumbled on these magnets in the spare draw, i had totally forgotten about them, did some testing and decided to run the gauntlett.

David,

You warned me, it's your fault this is happening the way it does, boggle the brains pal, and dodge the arrows.

To please you guys even more, i'm modifing the SD to my use, almost halfway to what i want, enjoy

The middle part was giving me the most work, allmost all components are at their places, it's dryfitted for now, added a extra brass tube for running more wires at the front compartment, power wires will be inside the smaller one, and signalwires inside the bigger one, a old method of getting less interference on your stuff.

The frontpart with the modified power switch, i ran a styrene tube all over the SD for the antenna wire, due to my split it has to be tidy.

The rear end, instead of using the plastick hoses all the way, i made some aluminum tubing which replaces the plastick hoses, made adaptors and glued this tight, yet again it has to be slick and tidy.

Manfred.
                      I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                        • Sep 2010

I've started to cut away some of the rearpart bulkhead, you may not noticed the strange brass tube on top of the SD, the pictures will explaine this.

First i had to make some room for the brass tube and the added styrene antenna tube.

This is the idea, it's a instand connector for the SAS float, due to the vertical split i can't reach inside the boat to connect the hose, so i came up with this solution, the brass tube itself is sealed airtight by using a lipseal which is placed inside the receiving part.
                        So it's back to the Skunkworks to get me some connections for the rudder, diveplanes and the shaft.

Manfred.
                        I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                          • Sep 2010

It has been a few busy days inside the Skunkworks, solved the magnetic connection for both the divingplanes and rudders, made a connector to the drivingshaft and placed the float for using SAS.
                          To tread you guys even more i also made a vid to show how things work, it will solve a lot of questions.

This is the solution i've used, made some brass tubes which hold the magnets from the rudder and diveplanes inside, when you shuff the SD in, the magnetic connection will be made.

Most tricky part was, making the lenght in such way that the connectors won't fall out at maximum deflection, the rearpart will be glued tight for ever, i hope.

When you pull on your SD, the propulsion shaft and the magnetic links will get free, leaving you able to slide the SD out.
                          Making the connection to the propulsion shaft took me some hours on the lathe, main goal is, it's working like intended.

This is my set up for the float, by using a small silicone flexible hose provided by David, you can slide the SD in/out without any problems, the float itself can be removed for maintenance, simple by untightening the grubscrew at the base.
                          Those marked area's are for the scope and snorkelmast, have to keep them as free as possible for the future.

At this pic you can clearly see the instant connection between the float and the rearpart, this way i hope to prevent forgetting to connect the float before running.

When you pull both parts apart, the connection will release itself, i just have to add some vaseline to keep it running smooth.

Last little issue was, since i don't place the float at the rearpart of the conningtower, i had to made some rods, these will prefent the float to swiffle.

If you guys are not satified yet, then watch the vid, enjoy

Manfred.
                          Last edited by MFR1964; 03-30-2013, 02:59 PM.
                          I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

"Argh! ... I hate magnets!!"

LOL. They do get in the way sometimes.

Beautiful work, Manfred. I hate you! Your good work here flies in the face of my skepticism at the radial-break approach.

David
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                              • Sep 2010

David,

Wether you hate me or not, i think i'm on to something, yes, the vertical split is a sceptical thingy and will give you hard times, you always have to think ahead, me like this chess game, on the other hand we provide people with two options for building this boat using the same SD.
                              I have to admit, i was a bit worried about your waterline cut, it turned out very nice, if my vertical split system would fail i would have followed the same way.
                              For now it's looking good, allready have some idea's for running the scope and snorkelmast, first finish up some more work on the propulsion shaft and torpedo tubes mounting and steering.

Manfred.
                              I went underground

Comment

• goshawk823
                                Lieutenant Commander
                                • Oct 2010

Manfred- thanks for detailing your build. It's really cool to see two completely different approaches for making this kit functional. Neat stuff!

Comment

Working...