Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
    What is that you are using for the MBTV?
    Bare-Metal-Foil. A self-adhesive thin aluminum foil developed for the model car guys who want that 'shine' of Chrome.

M
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
      Thanks Dave, I just ordered me one of dem dare foil sheets
      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Excellent application! I use the Aluminum (Aluminium for Mike) metal powder on the masts. Thank you. I love this site!
        Last edited by trout; 02-17-2015, 10:52 PM. Reason: Stupid spell check fixed my joke, which of course makes it not funny
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
          Excellent application! I use the Aluminum (Aluminum for Mike) metal powder on the masts. Thank you. I love this site!
          Speaking of alummminnuuunium powder ... Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2438.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	93401 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2444.jpg
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	93402

(I love this site too, and would say so, but Mike is such a prick when it comes to complements)

M
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Notice this picture. The marker light is inside this huge hulking fairing that will cause all kindsa drag. I think that there is one in the photo etch kit available from Caswell. I dont know if I want to do that. Also, with the snorkle valve taking up most of the room inside the sail in that area, I dont know if I could get LED lights in there. We will have to see.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	0859126.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	93403

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Here are a couple of closeups:

Name:	marker light closer.jpg
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	93425Click image for larger version

Name:	marker light.jpg
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	93426

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

The white light on top of the rudder on the Skipjack, does it flash or is it constant? Thanks Yall I ask because Im thinking about lighting it.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
                  The white light on top of the rudder on the Skipjack, does it flash or is it constant? Thanks Yall I ask because Im thinking about lighting it.
                  White, constant. If it's 360-degree light then it's an anchor light, only used in port or hanging off the hook.

M
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Thats it then. Ill order a light and drill out the rudder and hook it up along with the others. My plan is to operate the 4 lights off of the 3s LIPO

Comment

• greenman407
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Well it happened again. The cracking and raising of the body filler happened again after it was finished and painted.....................AGAIN!!! Dad gummit and dag nabit. So I ground out the offending areas and will now wait a month for the vapors and solvents to evaporate and the plastic to good and cure before proceeding once again to fix it. I wonder if my Evercoat could be bad?

Name:	008.jpg
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	97417

Comment

• Von Hilde
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by greenman407
                        Well it happened again. The cracking and raising of the body filler happened again after it was finished and painted.....................AGAIN!!! Dad gummit and dag nabit. So I ground out the offending areas and will now wait a month for the vapors and solvents to evaporate and the plastic to good and cure before proceeding once again to fix it. I wonder if my Evercoat could be bad?
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]30088[/ATTACH]
                        What is the evercoat. Enamal (oil base) or acrylac enamal (keytone base) The bondo glazing putty may not be compatable. If not you have to put a coat of compatable primer between the bondo and finish coats. I have run into that problem doing auto body stuff, and thats usually the fix.

Comment

• Von Hilde
                          Rear Admiral
                          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                          White, constant. If it's 360-degree light then it's an anchor light, only used in port or hanging off the hook.

M
                          International meritime law for all vessels. Might even apply to large models. I know that even when filming a movie, where they used a mock up sub and a structure that represented a mast of a ship sticking out of the water had to have the 360 white on them after dark, if they were left in the water after filming for the day.

Comment

• greenman407
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Von Hilde
                            What is the evercoat. Enamal (oil base) or acrylac enamal (keytone base) The bondo glazing putty may not be compatable. If not you have to put a coat of compatable primer between the bondo and finish coats. I have run into that problem doing auto body stuff, and thats usually the fix.
                            Im not sure what the Evercoat is but its the only thing I used in the joint.

Comment

• greenman407
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

I got the LEDs installed in the sail. That will help with visibility underwater. If the sub gets lost then the LEDs will help locate it. I used a jewelers file of the square cross section variety. With care I was able to make an opening that is an interference fit with the rectangular shaped LEDs. That way they dont need to be glued. With the installed resistor they are good for 13 volts. Just right for the main power of 3s.

Name:	002.jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	97423Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	97424Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	97425Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	97426Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	97427

Comment

• Von Hilde
                                Rear Admiral
                                • Oct 2011

They are looking good. Initially I wired my lights on the 1/24 type II using regular small Christmas tree LEDs that were 6vDC. I had intended on having their own indipendant powersupply and switch, external of the WTC in its own seperat box. I havent worked on that model for a year or so, but when I get back to it I believe I will opt to swap them out with the small ones. My rescue buoy is lit, but I have yet to build a reel and release mechanism. Those running lights on the full size Skippy are retractable, but I know that might have been a task, in that scale, to manipulate. You know the kind of people that hang out around here like the details, right down to the pelican poop on the Captain's hat.

Comment

Working...