Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Albion
    Captain
    • Dec 2008

As a distraction to all the drive shaft insults :( I put some foam in, put some lead in and decided to fill the dry dock and see what happens.
    Surface trim was spot on, well as close as it could be. I then flooded the tank, and she sank to the bottom, but a little foam in the tower had her sitting dead level with the sail just under the surface. More than good enough for now :)

Time to get all the linkages made up, the rudder skeg and go for final trim.
    Attached Files
    Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Albion
      Captain
      • Dec 2008

Just worked out that the current drive shafts are 45mm between pivots, if I switch to Dumas type I can obtain 75mm, nearly halving the angular misalignment. Ok you guys win
      Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Well done, Sir! You have that beast working -- at least in the variable ballast department. I'm starting to look at my M1 sitting up on the wall -- wish I had the time to finish the damned thing. You used a GATO SD on that thing, right?

Oh, wait .... just re-read the WIP. That's a FOXTROT SD. That's why you have the big angular off-set between SD and propeller shafts. But, you're working that out well it seems. Loving this WIP.

M
        Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 02-10-2014, 09:17 AM. Reason: did my home-work and answered my own stupid question
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Albion
          Captain
          • Dec 2008

Slowly slowly. Big business trip from today so that's me shut down for a while.

Jobs to do
          Rudder Skeg
          Pin locator for Sub driver
          Trim pushrods and fit magnetic couplers
          fit foam in sail (so it clears the subdriver)
          Coupling hubs opened up to 4mm
          Make extended shaft drives.
          Get those damm servos in fixed in place properly
          Charge batteries and re Fire up sub driver
          :)
          Attached Files

Comment

• Albion
            Captain
            • Dec 2008

Jobs to do
            1 Rudder Skeg - done
            2 Pin locator for Sub driver - Done
            3 Trim pushrods and fit magnetic couplers – need materials
            4 fit foam in sail (so it clears the subdriver) - done
            5 Coupling hubs opened up to 4mm – Actually cheated and stole the hubs from the Type VII, so need to add another job to that’s boats list :(
            6 Make extended shaft drives. – need materials
            7 Get those damm servos in fixed in place properly – in process
            8 Charge batteries and re Fire up sub driver

Lots of fiddly bits been slowly working through. Need to find some time this week for the pushrods and drive shafts. Have been putting off the drive shafts for a while. Im going to be using some square section brass tubing, with one piece sliding inside the other, with spring, probably out of some old biro's. Stay tuned
            Attached Files

Comment

• Albion
              Captain
              • Dec 2008

3 Trim pushrods and fit magnetic couplers – need materials
              6 Make extended shaft drives. – need materials
              7 Get those damm servos in fixed in place properly – done
              9 Bilge keels - F Kin M

Comment

• Albion
                Captain
                • Dec 2008

3 Trim pushrods and fit magnetic couplers – open
                6 Make extended shaft drives. – DONE
                9 Bilge keels - later

Bit of fettling over the weekend, got my drive shafts built up. Ive got foam in there right now to provide the spring, but will get some pens apart and steal the metal springs out of them.

Basically cut the drive shaft in half, squared the end off on one them so its fits into the smaller tube. The other end was a tight fit into the larger tube. CA'd them in place. Then drilled and pinned them, and also drilled some vent / drains. Been trying to avoid this job but turned out to be quite simple. Will make some up for my Type VII as well, that has fixed length shafts right now, which are a PITA to line up when installing the WTC
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Albion; 03-11-2014, 01:03 AM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                  • Aug 2008

Excellent work. Almost there, pal!

M
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Albion
                    Captain
                    • Dec 2008

Everything done as far as getting it seaworthy. The larger diameter tube could be fixed in place, whilst the smaller tube can have the snort hose fixed. It's quite easy to slide the small tube into the larger one as the hull top is fitted. The mast I'm currently using for the snort is an aerial mast, works for now, but need something more permanent.Needs some time in the bath with it to check for integrity, then go for sea trials.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Albion; 03-11-2014, 10:30 AM.

Comment

• greenman407
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Albion, I dont mean to hijack your thread but what is the source of your Karyu submarine? How long is it overall? Thanks
                      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Albion
                        Captain
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
                        Albion, I dont mean to hijack your thread but what is the source of your Karyu submarine? How long is it overall? Thanks
                        It came from Gantu who sometime frequents this forum. It's German originally, and I've see some offered for sale occasionally. It's 1.35 m long (4.5 feet), a little over 125 beam (5"). Roughly 1/20 scale

Comment

• greenman407
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

I wouldnt mind having one of those. I like the fin that sticks up on the bow. Much more attractive than the earlier Japanese midgets in my opinion.
                          IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Albion
                            Captain
                            • Dec 2008

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_27123.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	93313 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_27124.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	93314 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_27125.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	93315 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_27126.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	93316 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2374.jpg
Views:	212
ID:	109823 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_27128.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	93318 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2374.jpg
Views:	209
ID:	109824
                            I got stalled! The top half wasn't sitting very well, it was gaping around the middle and also bulging slightly compared to the lower hull. I had planned to make a way of securing the top half at the front split, (i was thinking of a false oversize bollard on the deck that could be turned to lock the hull down) but was concerned that it would continue to gape in the middle, and basically stopped work while i was trying to figure it out. Work has been stupid this last year, and im a little embarrassed that the last real work seems to have been march last year, yikes. My work work isn't getting any better but need to press on.

The light bulb went on last week that there is a real hatch near my split line which i believe is the torpedo loading hatch. So i cut that out and made a Manfred type hatch that can be opened. Just underneath is a screw which is used to latch the upper hull in place. Being a few inches back it helps to close the gap in the hull, but not completely. I found i had some small magnets from Engel, they are only 2mm diameter. So i secured the boat to my table and drilled some vertical 2mm holes through the upper hull and down into the lower hull. I could then glue the magnets in place and get some more force to help hold the parts together. I cant say the magnets are great success, they are quite small so not much force, but it helps a little, and overall the boat feels quite sturdy now.

The lower hull is quite spongy in the middle, so the final part of the puzzle is to put a web in the middle of the lower hull to stiffen it up, i will then get back the mechanics and finalising trim which is nail bitingly close now.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Kazzer; 09-03-2015, 06:23 AM.

Comment

• Albion
                              Captain
                              • Dec 2008

Name:	image_28514.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	98635 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_28509.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	98630 Click image for larger version

Name:	M1a.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	109821 Click image for larger version

Name:	M1a.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	109822

Masking tape freshly removed, good enough for navy work

Needs dirtying up a little
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Kazzer; 09-03-2015, 06:22 AM.

Comment

• Albion
                                Captain
                                • Dec 2008

Name:	image_30328.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	109785 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_30329.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	2.9 KB
ID:	109786 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_30330.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	3.2 KB
ID:	109787 Slowly inching towards the try line
                                My thinking is that this was a between the wars , prestigious vessel, so it wouldn't be allowed to get too shabby, but there has to be some effects of wind and weather. Here's where Im at right now . Wonder if I need a bit more below waterline white, I've put some down, complete with the toothpaste effect, however it's looking too subtle. Should I leave it at that. No above waterline white put down yet, need a bit of that. What else?

Hmm photos are small and not good quality
                                Last edited by Kazzer; 09-03-2015, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Working...