Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	101824
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_13303.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	115456
    M1
    Whilst the quality of the parts received is good (and despite the fact it was pre production version), there is a lot of scratch building with this model, and a lot of creativity required. So I’m looking forward to choosing more of a kit next time! But it’s a pretty unique subject, and should look great once finished, especially in the two tone wavy livery. I read that at one time the three boats each used different experimental colour schemes, blues and greens, I bet no one has details of these colours do they? Research is a combination of the few photos available on line and small reference book on the M class subs, most of which seems to cover M2 after the hanger was added  I also have the documentary on the sinking of M1. However the photos and drawings do not all reflect the same features. Aside from the major changes of M2 and M3 I cant imagine in the short life span of these boats that there would be much change to explain the differences im seeing, so it comes down to creativity and making the best interpretation of the data I have.

Step one was to clean up the rough hull parts and create a clean seam to join together. The joining took some time as the hull was not quite square, and so I epoxied bit by bit, and added reinforcing plasticard to the outside to hold it all together. I then left the assembled hull for a few months, partly due to work work load, but also in the hope it find its shape.
    Next came the U cut, I tried using the outside table, but was far from flat So as getting decent timber in this country is a pain, I went to Ikea and bought some shelf seconds for a few bucks. Then using the shelf as meat in my Hull / table sandwich I tie wrapped the hull to the table, and then got the hull upright on the shelf by placing rules across the hull (flat bits) and using the vernier calipers to measure distance from rule to shelf until all was square, then pulled the ties tight to lock the hull firm (not too tight to deform the bow and stern)
    Whilst the recommended Merriman device for hull cuts is more desirable, I mounted my proxon mini drill in its drill stand, set the height, and thus had a comparable tool for slicing and dicing.
    Once the hull was sliced, I proceeded the lay glass strips inside the hull join and epoxy these in place, and then remove the various reinforcing bits stuck to the outside of the hull
    My cut was at waterline level, which seemed a good idea at the tie, however I think I will stick to Cl in future as it makes lining the hull join up easier.

I wanted the WTC as low in the hull as possible, so using a 2.5” tube of approx the same length as the Sub driver (which wasn’t in my hands at this time), I placed the tube in the lower hull on top of two lumps of blu tack at the points I planned to fit my sub driver supports. I pushed the tube down until both ends had bottomed against the hull (this hull isn’t flat bottomed). I measured the thickness of blu tack after squishing and this gave me the height of the sub driver mounts at these points. Then using my hole cutter I cut a 2.5” hole in some Lexan sheet, cut this in half, and sized it according to my blu tack, and voila sub driver foundations.

Based on the drawings, it appears that the part just below the gun is flat not curved (as moulded) so I cut away the moulded part, and also a hole in the upper hull where the sail will sit. Also added floor to the sail and the strange wing like affairs that sit forward of the cockpit. I initially extended the cockpit floor outside the sail to form a flange on the outside as shown in the drawings, however after studying what few photos I have, I realised there is NO flange! So I then had to cut this away. Lastly I have started to prepare the sail for drilling holes for the masts and scopes.
    More to come!

Any good ideas on adding bilge keels?
    Also what servos are preffered for the Fox sub driver?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Kazzer; 08-21-2016, 05:49 AM.
    Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Albion, You are making history. When you finish, you will have a truly, one of a kind boat. Hats off to you! I like your deck cutting device.
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Subculture
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Good 9 gram servos will be strong enough, and you'll have acres of room in the WTC for them

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

That looks so slick! How long is the M1 and is it 1/72 scale?
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Albion
          Captain
          • Dec 2008

I'm trying HS-55's but they seem a little tall!

yes its 1/72
          Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Subculture
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Wow, things must be a squeeze. I'd make every effort to fit them to be honest. Unlikely to find servos of that power any smaller. 4-5 gram servos are readily available, and will be noticeably smaller, but they tend to be much lower in torque, although I've flown aeroplanes of about 3 feet wingspan with sub 5 gram servos quite happily. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cro_Servo.html

Comment

• Albion
              Captain
              • Dec 2008

i bought some futaba 3108 which were smallest i could find, but they are still too tall.

Comment

• Subculture
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

The smallest conventional rotary servos I've seen are these- http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...c_0_075kg.html

But only about three ounces of torque, I don't think that is enough for that size of boat.

I still don't understand why you can't get the servos you have to fit inside a 2.5" cylinder.

Comment

• Albion
                  Captain
                  • Dec 2008

The shelf they sit on is quite high, i found shortening one of the arms works.

Comment

• Subculture
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Sounds like the simplest solution to the problem.

Comment

• Albion
                      Captain
                      • Dec 2008

Work continues, albeit slowly, too much work work going on.

Finally got the WTC fully built up, and built the battery pack up this weekend.

Im looking to use this WTC in both the M1 and also the Foxtrot, so I was checking best location for the snort hose which would fit in both subs, hence yellow tape.

still need to blend the hull split, then start on the controls
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Albion
                        Captain
                        • Dec 2008

Working on M1 hull this weekend in mean time here's a teaser of the sail. As Mike points out in his thread, the info on this beast is kind of sketchy. Ive got two sets of drawings, which are different, and even the drawings differ from the photo's. It seems that certain features were probably revised and revised, even before the minelayer / aircraft carrier mods. So theres some artistic licence based on the photos and the drawings.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• alad61
                          Commander
                          • Jan 2012

Nice Albion. I too like the cutting attachment on your drill. Alas & sigh, watching threads like this just goes to show what a rank novice one truly is...

But I still love watching though!!
                          Cheers,
                          Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
                          But to dream is a reality

Comment

• Albion
                            Captain
                            • Dec 2008

Nearly happy with hull, got a few bits and pieces to fill in but the hard works done.

alad61 - i wouldn't have considered let alone attempted some of these tips and tricks if it wasn't for the info available on this forum. Read and learn
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Albion
                              Captain
                              • Dec 2008

Hull slowly gets there. I have added so me magnets along the sides to pull the join in better, and the sail is now attached, so just blend the sail into the rest of superstructure, and the small deck under the gun.

My work will free up soon, so i can get on and finish this
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...