X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

1/72 OTW Trenchant with 3.5" Subdriver

I'll be posting here shortly photos etc of my 3.5" D&E Subdriver that I have on board my 1/72 OTW HMS Trenchant.

In the meantime here are some photos of the boat (almost finished) she needs some fine details and weathering added. Re the tiles on the outside these are everygreen styrene tiles glued on in small groups of around 1 square inch at a time. I have undertaken extensive testing of this method including exposing the tiles to rapid heat / cold changes. I like the tiles on the boat as they allow me to best depict this feature that seems prominant by their patchyness - as they seem to always come off these boats from time to time.

The sail / appendages (rudders & planes) are scratch built and are not part of the OTW kit.

I have done some preliminary ballasting but need to do some more fine tunning of the trim, as I discovered that I did not correctly fill the gas tank with much propel - I thought I'd chilled it down enough - but I don't think the tank was full - judging by what I emptied out after ballasting.

enjoy.....

Best
    John
    Attached Files
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic
  • toppack
    Rear Admiral
    • Nov 2008

Hello, John
    Very Interesting. Great Job!
    Thanks for the Info and pictures. :)
    What type battery did you use?
    Last edited by toppack; 01-12-2009, 07:39 PM.
    Rick L.
    --------------------------------------------
    * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
    Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• Slats
      Vice Admiral
      • Aug 2008

Hi
      battery is a 7.2 volt NimH 4600 mA that I placed in a forward 3" WTC section.
      I connected this to the 3.5" forward end cap of the Subdriver's ballast tank.

I find (albeit in the test tank), that this power coupled with the Subdriver's 7.2v motor is more than enough grunt for the subs pump jet.

I know NimH is old school compared with newer Lipo batteries but I am very happy with this setup.

Will post photos soon - just busy at work at the moment.
      Thanks

John
      John Slater

Sydney Australia

Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• toppack
        Rear Admiral
        • Nov 2008

Yes, I'm an 'old school' guy myself. I'm thinking about using a Gel-cell with my 3.5", that I have on order, which is even Older School battery. :D
        That way I won't need a WTC for it and I won't need any ballast-lead in the bow.
        Last edited by toppack; 01-12-2009, 08:37 PM.
        Rick L.

Comment

• Slats
          Vice Admiral
          • Aug 2008

Yes I have used an SLA before but I don't like too much weight in my boats.
          Of course it depends on the boat too. Too much weight is not simply overcome by adding more foam - weight is not just a trim consideration but also a consideration of how the boat handles in the water. More weight the greater the mass momentum and the boat wanting to stay on a track - harder it can be to turn.

The other consideration is the amperage / weight ratio - much higher amps / weight in niMH than SLA, and in my case I like the mating of a 7.2 Volt battery (not available in SLA) with the Subdrivers 7.2 volt motor. I could have used a 6v SLA, but again I like its still was a better amps / weight in niMH than SLA.

You could always order a small 3" battery unit that is on the website. I am not sure if that is big enough for a NiMH 7.2 volt stick pack - Mike or David will know.

John
          Last edited by Slats; 01-12-2009, 09:06 PM.
          John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• toppack
            Rear Admiral
            • Nov 2008

I don't know for sure how a Gel-cell will work out in the 1/48th scale, I'm planning to try it in, either. If it doesn't, like you said, I can always get a WTC for it.
            I wanted to try them first since I already have some good Gel-cels, in various sizes, left over from surface ship projects. :D

I didn't realize that the motor used in 3.5" SD was rated at 7.2 volts.
            Is that the nominal voltage rating? I thought it was higher than that, like 12. volts or so?
            Last edited by toppack; 01-12-2009, 10:23 PM.
            Rick L.

Comment

• Slats
              Vice Admiral
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by toppack
              I don't know for sure how a Gel-cell will work out in the 1/48th scale, I'm planning to try it in, either. If it doesn't, like you said, I can always get a WTC for it.
              I wanted to try them first since I already have some good Gel-cels, in various sizes, left over from surface ship projects. :D

I didn't realize that the motor used in 3.5" SD was rated at 7.2 volts.
              Is that the nominal voltage rating? I thought it was higher than that, like 12. volts or so?
              Wow 48 scale is big - and perhaps therefore less of an issue using an SLA.

I think you need to specify the Subdriver motor voltage when you order - I have seen David use 12v SLAs with some 3.5" Subdrivers, mine is clearly marked as 7.2v motor which I feel is very adequate for the subs I plan to use it with.

J
              John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• toppack
                Rear Admiral
                • Nov 2008

David & Mike,
                What's the story on Voltage Rating of the motors supplied with various SD sizes?
                Last edited by toppack; 01-12-2009, 11:15 PM.
                Rick L.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                  • Aug 2008

David & Mike,
                  What's the story on Voltage Rating of the motors supplied with various SD sizes?
                  I stick what I have in those SD's. Currently I'm fat with 12-volt motors.

David,
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• toppack
                    Rear Admiral
                    • Nov 2008

I understand, Good Choise. ;)
                    Rick L.

Comment

• Slats
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Aug 2008

I understand, Good Choise. ;)
                      Well the fact you bought a subdriver is a fantastic choice itself.

12v means you can run that SLA as you want. Just wondering what 48 scale boat is that and do you have a thread here on it.

BTW what is you name?
                      John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• toppack
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Slats
                        Well the fact you bought a subdriver is a fantastic choice itself.

12v means you can run that SLA as you want. Just wondering what 48 scale boat is that and do you have a thread here on it.

BTW what is you name?
                        Yes, 1/48th scale boat is 'British T-class' thread in this forum section.

Name is Rick.
                        Rick L.

Comment

• Slats
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Aug 2008

I have not yet left any other site I post too.
                          If you must know guys - the censorship that annoys me most is not swear words, but the deliberate silencing and removal of references to David's excellent products and the inhibiting of me supplying others with links on that site to those products should others ask questions of those products. Yes I support decency and politeness but I will never understand or support the censorship that the site in question has, which is in fact blatant discrimination, albeit in a passive way. I am not involved in any way with any agenda other than my own. I am aghast at such fear in some who inhabit what I believe is one of the greatest models of democracy the USA.

I have been in the sub and target RC game, along time - before the net existed. I do like forums for furthering the hobby, my enjoyment, scholarship, and helping others do the same, but I will survive if pushed out of one.

Hope that clears the air - so lets get this post back about my HMS Trenchant and its sub driver.

I did some re ballasting in my test tank and not surprisingly using David's method of filling the propel bottle (see post on this), the sub was heavier. I clearly had a full propel charge which weighs more.

I also fully inspected the boat as she went negative by removing the top section - this was good to inspect that the boat had indeed fully flooded the tank. NB, Davids advice:
                          On the surface the tanks is empty
                          Dived the tank is to be full not half FULL

Suffice to say I am affixing a little more foam.
                          Photos on this coming soon.

best
                          John
                          Last edited by Slats; 01-17-2009, 07:39 AM.
                          John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Slats
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Aug 2008

On thing I did notice is Trechant's relatively flat deck and lack of top side vents is a problem.

I am getting an air bubble stuck underneath the deck. I have tried drilling small holes that would be for the safety rail uprights (used when the boat is in port), but is there another way to alleviate this?

John
                            John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Nuke Power
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2008

holes are the only way sometimes. I have had to make non scale holes just to get my boats to drive right. It came down to, is it gonna look super pretty in its stand or is it gonna work how I want in the water.

Comment

Working...