X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chulla
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by oztruck
    The way I see it is, if it is in price list, then I guess you could buy it.

As for my thoughts on this,

option 1: if you want to explore as you said the creek behind your house and video what is going on the best bet for you would be to get a "Thunder Tiger Neptune".

From what I have read they are a good place to begin from if you are the explorer type, and they are even set up to take a video camera.

They, as all models can be changed/converted to look the way YOU want them to look and at this time would be a good investment.

Option 2: build your own type of exploration sub from what you have hanging around and buy the extra parts you will need to make it work, be reliable, look good,

hold a video camera. the cost for both options would be the same but the outcome all depends on your input in the build/conversion.

Have fun and take lot of photos of your build/conversion to show us what you have done.

Cheers Chris
    Thanks Chris Ive been looking at that Neptune model I do see that It could be my best solution but It's just it feels like i should be in it and driving it. And yes when i've started I will show lots f pics and video footage :)

Comment

• redboat219
      Admiral
      • Dec 2008

Hello Chulla,
      Don't mind David. Think of it as initiation when you want get into a fraternity...

If your interest is exploring your local pond do a google search on DIY ROV. Plenty of instructions out there how to build one using items you can get at your local hardware store.
      Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• chulla
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Jan 2012

initiation? yeah I cans ee it. Thanks but no, even though I wanna search my pond and a RoV would prob be my best bet I just can't shake off having and building my own sub they just interest me and I Just wanna operate and know that its mine and I can voyage through my waters with it. Ill prob make my own Rov anyway but a Sub is what im after.
        Thanks

Comment

• Subculture
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

If you want an excellent reference manual for the technical aspects of building a working model submarine, here's one-

Here's a pretty good link to an inexpensive ROV made from PVC pipe-

Comment

• redboat219
            Admiral
            • Dec 2008

This one has parts list and assembly instructions

Comment

• chulla
              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
              • Jan 2012

Thank you, yeah ive been looking at them ROV's nice little projects. Dont liekt the fact uve got a chord running from the part to the controller though.

Comment

• redboat219
                Admiral
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by chulla
                Dont liekt the fact uve got a chord running from the part to the controller though.
                You could use a surface radio to send commands down to the sub but it's good to a certain depth depending where you'll sail your sub.

But how will you get video feed from the sub?

Comment

• chulla
                  Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                  • Jan 2012

Theres a store wich sells these tiny little cameras round 80 bucks but ill gotta try work that out when time comes i guess.

Comment

• Reckless
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Jan 2012

eh Dave's pretty easy to deal with... I'm a mechanic, Dave is like one of those old school master techs in the corner of the shop that have been there since the shops walls were poured. Rib back when Ribbed on, show em your serious and willing to learn and whole worlds of information will open up to you .. stuff you'll never find in a book. that manual you speak of well it's "he who shall not be named"'s Brain ;) there are others too ofcourse ... but Daves one of the best that we have "ready" access too ;)

as for the wireless camera's if it's 2.4ghz it won't work .. the signal won't penatrate the water (same reason we can't use 2.4ghz radio's for subs)

there used to be a wireless camera system for the thunder tiger I beleive... dunno if they still make it... they make the uber bright light kits and such for em too... honestly for your first sub with what you want to do ... I'd start with a Thunder tiger and see what add ons are available for it.

just lurking the past 4 or so years the stuff I've seen Dave go through with "noobs" on other sites, I really don't blame him for his general additude towards people that pop up and say "I wanna do it this way and nothing you say is gonna sway me!, but.. please help cause I have no idea how to accomplish it" theres as many ways to build a submersible RC model as there are models of subs out there to do em too... the people that pipe up know that sure fire ways that work, the RC sub "culture" is a big secret as is .. be glad to get what ever advice you can.

now saying all that... I'm just as new to this as you... mostly.. I've been going back and forth for 4 years on exactly what I want, what I want to spend, etc etc etc ... I was just lucky enough to find a great deal on a nearly complete sub with a complete subdriver already in/for it as a package .. this will be my first sub (not my first wet RC though)

for your FIRST one... get something with as much pre made pro grade parts as possible.. more money yes, but you can see how they were built so your next one to get exactly what you want you have a physical guide in front of you and you can "make" your own.

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

chulla,
                      I think that the suggestion that we made about going to the Neptune Tiger, you should take seriously. Creating your own sub can take a long time and costs can go up. I am looking at getting one for my son (who am I kidding - me, no it is for my son.....really).
                      If you get it, play with it, then if it is not something you want to continue then sell it.
                      Peace,
                      Tom
                      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Reckless
                        eh Dave's pretty easy to deal with... I'm a mechanic, Dave is like one of those old school master techs in the corner of the shop that have been there since the shops walls were poured. Rib back when Ribbed on, show em your serious and willing to learn and whole worlds of information will open up to you .. stuff you'll never find in a book. that manual you speak of well it's "he who shall not be named"'s Brain ;) there are others too ofcourse ... but Daves one of the best that we have "ready" access too ;)

as for the wireless camera's if it's 2.4ghz it won't work .. the signal won't penatrate the water (same reason we can't use 2.4ghz radio's for subs)

there used to be a wireless camera system for the thunder tiger I beleive... dunno if they still make it... they make the uber bright light kits and such for em too... honestly for your first sub with what you want to do ... I'd start with a Thunder tiger and see what add ons are available for it.

just lurking the past 4 or so years the stuff I've seen Dave go through with "noobs" on other sites, I really don't blame him for his general additude towards people that pop up and say "I wanna do it this way and nothing you say is gonna sway me!, but.. please help cause I have no idea how to accomplish it" theres as many ways to build a submersible RC model as there are models of subs out there to do em too... the people that pipe up know that sure fire ways that work, the RC sub "culture" is a big secret as is .. be glad to get what ever advice you can.

now saying all that... I'm just as new to this as you... mostly.. I've been going back and forth for 4 years on exactly what I want, what I want to spend, etc etc etc ... I was just lucky enough to find a great deal on a nearly complete sub with a complete subdriver already in/for it as a package .. this will be my first sub (not my first wet RC though)

for your FIRST one... get something with as much pre made pro grade parts as possible.. more money yes, but you can see how they were built so your next one to get exactly what you want you have a physical guide in front of you and you can "make" your own.
                        so ... what's the deal here!? ... I gotta be nice to you now?

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• chulla
                          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Reckless

Yeah I dont mind If i buy a complete set up already just to learn from it but like u said quite some money ...ill probably buy the neptune but at the same time maybe something lke a seawolf or somethign jsut the model so I can differ between the two and learn. But money and time is all I need now.

Comment

• chulla
                            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by trout
                            chulla,
                            I think that the suggestion that we made about going to the Neptune Tiger, you should take seriously. Creating your own sub can take a long time and costs can go up. I am looking at getting one for my son (who am I kidding - me, no it is for my son.....really).
                            If you get it, play with it, then if it is not something you want to continue then sell it.
                            Peace,
                            Tom
                            hmm I kepp looking into that neptune and thinking it will be the best start, but I might start at a ROV and then buy a model sub and go from there or even buy the neptune. I bought three books recently on submarin modelling just to give me a bit more understanding.

Comment

• Reckless
                              Lieutenant Commander
                              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                              so ... what's the deal here!? ... I gotta be nice to you now?

David

never said a word about being nice to anyone ... you be you and I'll be me. and if people can't take it.. the roads over there ;)

Comment

Working...