X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chulla
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Jan 2012

Let me build my sub plz

Im new and eager to build a me a sub, I know this is really a experienced advanced type of model building but that aint stopping me. I wanna build/construct /covert my own sub and add a camera so I can dive and scan my creek behind my house.

What i'm really after is to build ur own sub kit. If i can't get one of these, even just build my own model and build my own sub engine kit. If it came to that I would require a list of every item I would need but hoping theres a builders manual or book that could do it for me.

Because im a beginner I will require a list of everything I need, Ive got the stores here maybe not exactly what I need but mainly everything. And ill always be on here to look at ideas and building logs watching/reading and learning.

So if anyone here can help me much appreciated as an eager hobby building is keen on this.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

This is not an 'entry level' activity.

Crawl, walk, then run.

You're not ready for this.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
      This is not an 'entry level' activity.

Crawl, walk, then run.

You're not ready for this.

David
      I invite people here, and He Who Shall Not Be Named crucifies them before they even get in the door? WTH?
      Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• chulla
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Jan 2012

not to be rude but what really gives ppl the right to dictate if im ready or not, i thought were here to help, give advice, and achieve our goals. Ive build littel models before now i wanna tackle a sub. Its pathetic just to think that because im somewhat a beginner i shouldn't be tackling something like this..... ur behind a computer dont know me in person dont even know what skillz i have but since ur "professionals" and to you im not "Skilled" enough its bull****. cmon wheres the hobby enthusiast that love to help and guide others.......

Comment

• chulla
          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
          • Jan 2012

ive been looking through the kits and such...thinking ill buy the shell. I dont know Which sub would be more suitable for what i wanna do as i wanna explore my creek with a camera connected to it.

Question: Are these kits included with remote or i gotta build my own remote?

Lets say I bought the Trumpeter Kilo Sub Model *(Obviously ill then need to buy the fittings to go with it) and I bought the fittings Is the "sub-driver" designed for that type or can i customize a different sub driver?

Plus ive clicked on both "kits form" and "assembled link" (which are taking me to the same page) and from what im reading is it meaning that if I buy
          Sub-Driver 2 For Trumpeter Kilo Kit Form. does this mean I gotta assemble the Sub-driver myself? And the Pre_assembled meaninig that its already assembled with the model and fittings? just such a price difference in assembled and kit form seems that it does incluse the other items?
          Last edited by chulla; 01-16-2012, 03:23 AM.

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

David can defend himself, but I will offer this, if you are serious, David will open his knowledge to you. He has a heart of an elephant, might be rough on the outside......but look beyond that. I am a beginner and building my first sub. Read the postings already here and you will get an idea of what you need. I am cheap, but I will say this is not a cheap hobby (there are areas you can save). Asking for a list of everything you need is not really putting in the effort on your part and you need to do that first. I can give you some general ideas, but I do not know if you want a static or dynamic diving sub (and if you do not know, take a little time to formulate your thoughts). If your budget is $50 or $5000. For about $600 you can get a Thunder Tiger Neptune. I am building the Revell 1/72 Gato submarine and to be honest, have not kept track of the cost because what I am learning is priceless.
            I wish you the best and hope that you do build a submarine.
            Peace,
            Tom
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• chulla
              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
              • Jan 2012

Another Question: can we buy the Sub-driver WTC without all the interior egnines and parts?

Comment

• chulla
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by trout
                David can defend himself, but I will offer this, if you are serious, David will open his knowledge to you. He has a heart of an elephant, might be rough on the outside......but look beyond that. I am a beginner and building my first sub. Read the postings already here and you will get an idea of what you need. I am cheap, but I will say this is not a cheap hobby (there are areas you can save). Asking for a list of everything you need is not really putting in the effort on your part and you need to do that first. I can give you some general ideas, but I do not know if you want a static or dynamic diving sub (and if you do not know, take a little time to formulate your thoughts). If your budget is $50 or $5000. For about $600 you can get a Thunder Tiger Neptune. I am building the Revell 1/72 Gato submarine and to be honest, have not kept track of the cost because what I am learning is priceless.
                I wish you the best and hope that you do build a submarine.
                Peace,
                Tom
                Yes im learning still and learnt a bit while everyday im reading forums something like these are hard for me as im an hand on type of person and I learn as I do. As do other people but this is how I operate. I know I wrote for a lsit of everything but if i can get a generel idea at what i should be looking at that would be great....It just seem I can't find any guides or clear walkthroughs besides people on these forums.
                Maybe theres a Bible of sub building which i can download or buy? Soemthing I can also learn from?
                My budget for my first sub isnt 5k but somewhere around $600 dollars is my price range.
                I'll have to get back to u about to static or dynamic sub as im learning what they are.

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

There are several people that you can get end caps from and you can buy your own lexan tube.... What diameter do you want?
                  If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• chulla
                    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                    • Jan 2012

Well Ive looked at the static and Dynamic and I gues I want a static diving sub as for what I wanna do wich is swimming around logs and reeds. Plus I guess a combination of both can have a big advantage can this be succeeded?
                    Last edited by chulla; 01-16-2012, 04:10 AM.

Comment

• chulla
                      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                      • Jan 2012

There are several people that you can get end caps from and you can buy your own lexan tube.... What diameter do you want?
                      I guess that comes down to when i buy my model sub?

Comment

• oztruck
                        Commander
                        • May 2010

The way I see it is, if it is in price list, then I guess you could buy it.

As for my thoughts on this,

option 1: if you want to explore as you said the creek behind your house and video what is going on the best bet for you would be to get a "Thunder Tiger Neptune".

From what I have read they are a good place to begin from if you are the explorer type, and they are even set up to take a video camera.

They, as all models can be changed/converted to look the way YOU want them to look and at this time would be a good investment.

Option 2: build your own type of exploration sub from what you have hanging around and buy the extra parts you will need to make it work, be reliable, look good,

hold a video camera. the cost for both options would be the same but the outcome all depends on your input in the build/conversion.

Have fun and take lot of photos of your build/conversion to show us what you have done.

Cheers Chris

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

It will be hard to find a guide/book because there are so many variables, how large a sub, what type of ballast system do you want to use, are you wanting to build accurate or just a can that can surface and dive..... how deep do you want to go? There is a guide on how to build your own WTC out there, but what David makes is really a quality product. As much as I understand about wanting to doing it yourself, do you want to test your theory while you have several hundred dollars in your WTC? or buy a proven design? These are also questions you need to think about. If you read my build, you know I have made mistakes... I am glad I did not try to build it from scratch on my first sub. Even setups like the Gato has a lot of unique situations that cannot be as simple as A,B,C.
                          There is a book I bought that goes into a lot of math and theory of building a sub, but not an instruction like building a model.
                          There is the Gato build DVD set, but that is specific to Revell Gato sub in its instruction (not in the concepts) or Steve Neill has a CD http://www.sneillfx.com/page28 That covers things (I have not seen the content although I have been wanting to) for the beginner.

Comment

• chulla
                            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                            • Jan 2012

I aslo thought maybe a list of things that I should read up on like for example im learning about static and dynamic diving. I guess If i had some thing to research it could help me with my sub projects.

Comment

• chulla
                              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                              • Jan 2012

It will be hard to find a guide/book because there are so many variables, how large a sub, what type of ballast system do you want to use, are you wanting to build accurate or just a can that can surface and dive..... how deep do you want to go? There is a guide on how to build your own WTC out there, but what David makes is really a quality product. As much as I understand about wanting to doing it yourself, do you want to test your theory while you have several hundred dollars in your WTC? or buy a proven design? These are also questions you need to think about. If you read my build, you know I have made mistakes... I am glad I did not try to build it from scratch on my first sub. Even setups like the Gato has a lot of unique situations that cannot be as simple as A,B,C.
                              There is a book I bought that goes into a lot of math and theory of building a sub, but not an instruction like building a model.
                              There is the Gato build DVD set, but that is specific to Revell Gato sub in its instruction (not in the concepts) or Steve Neill has a CD http://www.sneillfx.com/page28 That covers things (I have not seen the content although I have been wanting to) for the beginner.
                              I thought maybe with you knowing what i plan to do ppl might know waht would be best for me to attack with. For example "This size sub" with "the size of ballast tanks" and what type of Subdriver i will require for waht i wanna do. Im constantly looking and learning but as this is a self learning project im constantly in need to know process. Now you know what I wanna do hopefully you can tell me what I should be looking into. Atm im just jumping from thread to thread reading and learning. Because Im looking at exploring underwater logs and screening through reeds I guess Im looking at an accurate diver as Im gonna need some accurate driving.

I jsut want to learn the things I need to learn so one day I can Scratch build my own sub (Model to driver).

Comment

Working...