Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Jan 2023

1/32 German Type 202 Build

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	175946

Today I am starting the build of a 1/32 scale German Type 202. This is my second build, the first being a 3d printed Permit class. The 202 is going to be a dynamic diver and it will run a 250 Series EasyDriver so I anticipate the cylinder being straight forward. I have a general plan of action laid out and we'll see how well it holds up as time progresses. I plan to post as I make progress, but please don't be too impatient as my building tends to go in spurts. I am looking forward to your thoughts, suggestions, and corrections as I work through this boat.

The first order of business is get a handle on yaw control. The kort nozzle needs to be attached to the boat and to the control horn. But the size is… miniscule. The RCSubGuy offered assistance so I am going to take him up on that, but first I need to clean a repair that was performed by the previous owner because it will be really hard to do afterwards.

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	175948

Nathan
    Attached Files
  • Alucard
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Aug 2023

Good Luck and have fun

Comment

• Nathan
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Jan 2023

I got out the magnifiers and took another look at the yaw mechanism. By moving the arm to the other side, the pin on the fore side and the shape of the arm made much more sense, and the pivot pin fit fully into the nozzle. So then I just needed a way to keep the pivot pin seated. A carbon rod was handy and seemed to do the trick without limiting the travel much. I need to fabricate some sort of plate before all is done which should help reinforce the rod. But I need to find a way to attach the plate so it is removable for future repairs. Does anyone know where I could find really small stainless screws?

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	175955

Now that my biggest concern seems to be behind me I'll move onto mounting the WTC in the stern. I am going to make the mount mostly permanent as getting the connections made is not going to be something I'll want to do on a regular basis. On that note, has anyone seen connectors like these?

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	175956

Comment

• RCSubGuy
        Welcome to my underwater realm!
        • Aug 2009

I'd guess that those connectors are magnetic and use the brass sleeves to maintain alignment between the two sides.

Comment

• wlambing
          Commander
          • Nov 2020

0-80 or 00-90 screws are available in the model railroad world, in brass. They would work. I don't know of any source for those sizes in stainless, but they may be out there, somewhere! The 00-90s are the smallest commercially available that we normies (ha!) can get.

Comment

• Nathan
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
            • Jan 2023

Bob, you are right about the magnets, and thanks, wlambing, I'll see what I can find. Worst case I'll glue the cover on with something removable.

The next step was going to be mounting the WTC in the hull for which I have a plan. But I ran out of filament for my 3d printer and have wait a few days. In the meantime, though, I have created some magnetic couplers to go along with the existing ones and I have mocked up version 1 of the WTC mount.

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	176085

The rear (left on the pic) will be mounted in the stern and 3 bolts will (gently) hold the WTC in place, the front will be mounted in the bow and will balance the leverage when the 2 halves are connected. I am thinking this setup will be both strong enough and minimal enough to get the job done.

Since I have to wait on the filament I'll fabricate the plate that'll go over the kort linkage and start putting the WTC together.

Nathan

Comment

• Nathan
              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
              • Jan 2023

Okay, so I said I'd be slow, but this is more time than I expected. But I have made progress while I wait for more filament. Some body work:

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	176432

Some linkage work:

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	176433

And some wiring:

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	176434
              But that is when I found an issue with the transmitter I was hoping to use. This is a FrSky ACCESS receiver and though I have an ACCESS transmitter module, my transmitter is only capable of using ACCST. So I have a new transmitter on the way and if anyone has an ACCESS transmitter that needs a 900Mhz module, well, I can make you a good deal!

Comment

• Nathan
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Jan 2023

I spent some time yesterday getting access to the linkage and gluing in the support for the WTC. I am usually very hesitant to do something like cutting a hole in a hull, but I am sure it was right move (thanks, Bob!) Today I am hoping to get the support fully glued in and the linkages run. If time permits I'll glue in the bow support as well.

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	176865Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	176866Click image for larger version

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	176867

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                  Welcome to my underwater realm!
                  • Aug 2009

Nice work on the access hatch, Nathan. That little boat is coming along really nicely.

Comment

• Nathan
                    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                    • Jan 2023

Thanks! it is definitely getting close!

Comment

Working...