• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RevellU505Late
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Feb 2023

Revell Type IX C (late) U-505

So here is the Build thread of my Revell 1/72 IX C (late) U 505
    David Merriman has a great 10 year old thread https://forum.rc-sub.com/forum/gener...pe-9-it-starts on this build, so I will only go over the highlights and deviations from his build.

First step was grinding the hull thickness at the drain holes on the hull halves to open them up. I used a Dremel with flexible drive, a 40 watt bulb and a dark room. This worked great. After a fashion, you could tell just how thick the plastic was by the light shining through. This worked so well, I was able to leave the frames in the freeing ports. I have not found any other pictures of RC conversions of this boat that left the frames intact. They all were ground out. :(

Next I worked on the shafts. The factory shafts are 3/32" and I could not find any shaft systems less then 1/8". Here is how I bored out the 3/32" shaft hole to 1/8". I taped together the shaft fairings and struts to the hull. Then I made a boring bar. This is something I used in my profession quite often. I have been a boat designer, builder, repairer my entire life. When a customer wanted to upgrade their power, they needed to upgrade the shaft size. A boring bar uses a pilot that is the original size of the hole, connected to a cutter that is the size of the new shaft.

For the model, I used a 3/32" brass rod as a guide. The boring bar was made from a 1/8" brass tube with teeth filed in the end like a hole saw. I bent the teeth out just a tiny bit to give some clearance. With the 3/32" rod inserted into the entire length of the shaft hole, I slid the 1/8" tube onto the 3/32" rod from the aft end and turned the tube by hand to begin cutting the larger hole through the struts, down the fairing and through the hull. This was slow painstaking work, but it enlarged the original shaft hole with perfect alignment.

Next I made thrust bearing beds out of HDPE similar to David's. I used an 1/8" wheel collar on the aft side, with the set screw ground down so it would not hit the hull (things are pretty tight in that area). I first ground down the solid part of the set screw as much as I dared, so that I could have as much hex grip as possible for the allen wrench. I also made a flat spot on the shaft to get even more set screw length. On the forward side, I used a Dumas dog bone shaft coupling. This took care of forward and reverse thrust.The great part about this is the whole thing is lubricated by water!

Next I made clearance in the keel area for the rear dive plane control. The control mechanism was made as thin as you possible could make it. All made from thin brass flat stock. I wanted to have the full 60 degree movement, so the entire works are buried in the keel. The pivot pin holes in the control fork were countersunk on both ends and the pin carefully riveted into place. This way, everything was flush and thin as possible.

The pivot shaft was made from square bar with the center section left square and the ends rounded. I filed a square hole in the pivot arm. With the ends a friction fit into the planes, I am able to remove the entire works at any time. No trapping hardware in place when the hulls are glued together.

Next came the rudders. I formed a block of HDPE that held the rudder shafts. Connecting twin rudders presents a challenge to get them to move together in the same direction. I solved this by using ball link hardware and making custom horns from wheel collars and flat brass stock. Everything is tight, no slop anywhere.

The bow planes were the easiest. Round shaft with brass tube for bearings and another wheel collar/brass flat stock horn. The control rod attachment was again a ball link. I've been using ball links for 40 years in my model helicopters. They are awesome! No slop and are able to rotate in a wide range of directions. The bow planes are a friction fit to the shaft, so can be removed anytime.

I did have an issue with the deck hold down magnet system. The magnet beds along the middle of the hull interfered with the installation of the WTC. I was either going to break the hull or bust off the magnet beds. I decided that, in that area, I would glue some tabs on the underside of the deck to form a U shape that would grip the deck flange.

I have to thank David for breaking the ground before me and making my conversion much easier.

• redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Philip you are an inspiration.

Why is the rear dive plane shaft blurred out?
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• RevellU505Late
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Feb 2023

Thanks for the kind words.
      Thats because the shaft was still long and the camera couldn’t focus on it.

Comment

• redboat219
        Admiral
        • Dec 2008

I thought it was classified.

Comment

• RevellU505Late
          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
          • Feb 2023

Click image for larger version

Name:	90BD42E1-1442-488B-80D3-8959CDB5CF2D.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	170341 My solution to the magnet issue amidships.

Comment

• redboat219
            Admiral
            • Dec 2008

Can you post a close up pic of those clips?

Comment

• RevellU505Late
              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
              • Feb 2023

Here’s the closeup you asked for. They are made out of HDPE and glued with super thin CA
              Attached Files

Comment

• redboat219
                Admiral
                • Dec 2008

So they catch under the flanges that support the deck. Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1679497061679.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	170348

Comment

• RevellU505Late
                  Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                  • Feb 2023

Correct! They work great. Plenty of flexibility in the hull to allow this to happen.

Comment

• RevellU505Late
                    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                    • Feb 2023

Click image for larger version  Name:	29A59264-3CFD-4847-90F1-2D593510084F.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.5 KB ID:	170482Click image for larger version  Name:	6093240A-1962-44BA-A17B-EC2D893C5C42.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.7 KB ID:	170481 Here’s something I made to help get the end caps off

Comment

• RevellU505Late
                      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                      • Feb 2023

Finally finished!
                      U 505 Late version. Starting patrol #14 March 16th, 1944.
                      I used Tamiya TS-67 for the topsides, TS-48 for the tower (obviously darker than the topsides), TS-94 for the guns, TS-63 for the bottom and matt black for the deck (wood treated with pine tar and linseed oil, which turns black). These colors closely match the attached color “Capture” photos.
                      Ship antennas are 28ga brass bead wire. So as not to put strain on the delicate insulators, the wire is continuous from end to end, threaded through the insulators. The ends of the wire are lightly bent to fit into holes in the tower, winter garden rails and the forward deck. The aft wire is continuous from railing to railing, passing under the stern deck. I can remove the deck fairly easily. At present, the deck rails are a press fit into the hull. I painted them by taping the very ends of the railing posts to a board. That way no paint ended up where the posts press fit into the sides of the hull.
                      Hoping to get some running videos above and below the water in the test tank, I mean pool.
                      Next project is a Das Werk static U-9.​

Comment

• RevellU505Late
                        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                        • Feb 2023

Here’s a picture of the finished U 505

Comment

• redboat219
                          Admiral
                          • Dec 2008

Nice.
                          You're not going to weather it?
                          Maybe just a little bit to break up the monotony and add some visual interest.
                          Last edited by redboat219; 06-10-2023, 10:18 PM.

Comment

• redboat219
                            Admiral
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by RevellU505Late
                            Next project is a Das Werk static U-9.
                            Very much interested on how will you tackle the canoe shaped hull which offers limited space for a proper cylinder.
                            A dry hull with old school bolt on lid perhaps?

Comment

• redboat219
                              Admiral
                              • Dec 2008

Or this way...

Comment

Working...