• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

Everyone has their dreamboat....

Mine is coming in!

Pushing hard to get hull components completed before April as I navigate Employers and Honey-do workloads! Don't you hate it when reality intrudes??

Finally had time to CNC the dorsal rudder components.

3 individual sheets of 1/16" GRP that will be laminated together. Ventral rudder and stern plane will be fabricated this way as well.

Here is the center profile, after CNC. Used a .8mm flat end mill.​

Click image for larger version  Name:	DI.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.7 KB ID:	170112

Here is one of the two outer profiles in the process of milling:

Click image for larger version  Name:	DO.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.2 KB ID:	170113

The three parts side by side:

Click image for larger version  Name:	DOIO.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.1 KB ID:	170114

Here they are assembled with the 1/16" alignment pins:

Click image for larger version  Name:	DA.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.9 KB ID:	170115

Test fitting:

​​​​​Click image for larger version  Name:	TFA.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.6 KB ID:	170116

Click image for larger version  Name:	TFB.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.5 KB ID:	170117

After some 55 odd years of dreaming, she's getting there!

Click image for larger version  Name:	TFC.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.1 KB ID:	170118

I really, really love this boat! A challenging build, but well worth the wait and effort!!

Coming soon to a pond near you...
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS
  • DrSchmidt
    Captain
    • Apr 2014

Has anyone actually tried a RC conversion of the Moebius Proteus? I have the kit in the backlog ...

Comment

• Subculture
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Not seen one, but the Lunar models Proteus has been converted, and it's the same size. I believe it was Rick Teskey did one a long while back.

Comment

• redboat219
        Admiral
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
        Not seen one, but the Lunar models Proteus has been converted, and it's the same size. I believe it was Rick Teskey did one a long while back.

Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• QuarterMaster
          Rear Admiral
          • Sep 2015

Originally posted by redboat219
          Yeah, that's Rick Tesky's Lunar Models version, he was testing a "bow plane only" setup. Note his stern plane is missing. I believe this is the one he currently operates.

Speaking of Rick, it is HIS 1:15 Scale hull that I'm building, which he had operational back in SubRegatta 02/03(?) @ Johnstown Memorial.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RT-U91035PRT.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	170151

Unfortunately, famed videographer Ray Mason didn't seem to capture that underway, or have a video interview (I couldn't find it here), but that screen grab is from the '04 Video, you can see that here, along the interview of Rick discussing his FS-1 and Stingray projects (It will start at this point.):

SubRegatta 2004: Johnston War Memorial Park, Johnston, RI

RAY! I know you read this!! See if you can find some of Rick's PROTEUS on your cutting room floor!!

As far as I know, Rick has the status of being the first known individual to RC a PROTEUS!

Now this here is another fine looking RC PROTEUS done by some fellow over in Nippon I believe: Fantastic Voyage Proteus U-91035

I 'think" it's a Lunar Models hull.

v/r "Sub" Ed

USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• redboat219
            Admiral
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by QuarterMaster

Now this here is another fine looking RC PROTEUS done by some fellow over in Nippon I believe: I 'think" it's a Lunar Models hull.

Inside shot of the said model. Click image for larger version

Name:	pr40.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	170171 60mm diameter WTC with piston tank. Propelled by twin waterjets ( 280 motor driving a modified kerosene pump )

Comment

• QuarterMaster
              Rear Admiral
              • Sep 2015

Originally posted by redboat219
              Inside shot of the said model. 60mm diameter WTC with piston tank. Propelled by twin waterjets ( 280 motor driving a modified kerosene pump )
              So that's actually yours?

I'm sporting twin TURNIGY 2205/34 1500KV BRUSHLESS MOTOR's at 12V spinning NQD 757-6024 RC Boat Turbo JET's in a custom manufactured, water cooled conductive Aluminum housing for an estimated RPM of 19K WOT.

Based on the same setup as those popular Pro Boat Alpha 21 PBR's.

Michael's can now commandeer her and properly race towards the clot.

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	170291

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	170292

Name:	02A.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	170293

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	170294

v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                Rear Admiral
                • Sep 2015

Well, work is underway on U-91035’s (PROTEUS) Stern Plane. Spent the better part of today CNC’ing, fitting, adjusting dimensions, and CNC’ing again to get the fit right. A couple of more adjustments and I should be good. For the record it takes only about 6 minutes or so to actually carve out the part.

The funny thing is, as I dig deeper and deeper into the build, I discover how so many things are actually different between Rick Tesky’s hull, the Studio Drawings, available data on the Internet, as well as the Moebius 1:32 scale model I’m electing to use as the “hero” model.

You still need to use some “creative” license to make it all work. But as the builder, I can beat any rivet counter over the head with his measuring tape, because everything, and nothing, is canon.

It’s still turning out to be one of the toughest builds of my RC Sub career.

Sooooo satisfying!

Name:	PXL_20230319_223842304.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	170296

Name:	PXL_20230319_231307422.PORTRAIT.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	170297
                v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• redboat219
                  Admiral
                  • Dec 2008

Why do all models I've seen of the Proteus have that cut out in the rear dive plane possibly for a rudder but there isn't actually one (rudder)?

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                    Rear Admiral
                    • Sep 2015

Step by step.....inch by inch....

Using a common Line Laser Level Tool to verify everything will be true to the imaginary central axis.

Name:	PXL_20230324_214659038.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	170366

Also decided to have a professional 3D print of the Upper Halo ring fabricated out of dark grey, glass filled nylon for light blocking and ease of dome assembly and replacement.
                    Thanks to Mr. Nautilus Drydocks himself!

Name:	Screenshot 2023-03-24 173803.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	170367

When the boat is running, I can modify the laser to remove blood clots per Capt. Gaito.
                    v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Sep 2015

My first print using my SLA Resin Elegoo SATURN 2 8k printer...

Trim for the multi-vane dorsal rudder on PROTEUS.

This thing is sick! Have to re-think my post print process and cleanup routine!!

Much larger than my Mars 2 Pro! I think the resin tank takes almost half a 1000ml bottle! Ever feel you bit off more than you can chew? I need to find things to use this for! 1/8 Scale Mast's and antennas?? lol

Name:	PXL_20230403_233726569.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	170457
                      The new SATURN 2 8k printer sitting there in the middle to the right of my MARS 2 Pro! She takes a LOT more liquid resin to fill the tray!

Name:	PXL_20230404_021143416.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	170458

Fresh out of the printer, then into the Alcohol bath.

Name:	PXL_20230404_225623943.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	170459

Port side rudder trim test fit. Just about time to laminate, sand, then install that trim.
                      v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

Working...