Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Davjacva
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Nov 2022

Got a backlog of photos to post, and since it's raining cats n' dogs outside, it's a good day to post some stuff. Meriman is making some new props for my Type IX that are much more accurate than the kit provided ones by Engels. The last photo I took yesterday while I'm getting 're-acquainted' with using a camera again (vice using the phone), anyway, I took this photo as I see Meriman do it all the time and it largely goes unnoticed. He almost always lays out his tools and supporting structures, etc in a manner that a surgeon lays out tools for going to business. It's almost always this way with about 90% of what he does. It's going to be a hand-drawing, and a lay-up of support to exact a method of getting the most of his abilities. Sometimes this is 75% of the job before touching what's to be constructed. At times it gets kind of frustrating to watch, as it's a seemingly easy task. Then you get the results and you see why. He's often grabbed something from me that I've spent a week shaping, and which I thought was 200% perfect, only to have him clean/ shape it further. Now, here's the warning, it's the other 10% of the time you have to watch out for as he's in 'wing-it' mode. This comes from someone who can put something back together or re-construct it at a seemlingly wave of the wand...but takes the rest of us a lot of time. So I learned to ask a lot of questions. He usually answers if it's not his model...'It's not MY MODEL!' I've learned a lot on both ends of those spectrums, but still amazed at times. This job on the props, I'd seen in bits and pieces before, but this is the first time in 20+ years that I've seen the whole thing, and it's got my full attention. He's made mistakes, some, mortals would never notice, others were hilarious, but he does and it's back to the bench to get it exactly right.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Davjacva
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Nov 2022

While the prop work is being done, I've been continuing work on correcting all the upper/ lower hull issues. Reinforcing the inside and where stress-points are in the GRP with carbon fiber. Additionally, had to cut out a portion of the athwartship support and glass-in a portion of G10 to give some room to the topside of long-ass WTC which slides under it. It was almost an interference-fit, and that would probably be a problem when immersing it in a cold body of water.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Davjacva
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Nov 2022

This is what my workspace looks like when I'm working on something. Click image for larger version

Name:	WEIB2425.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	178164

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Davjacva
          While the prop work is being done, I've been continuing work on correcting all the upper/ lower hull issues. Reinforcing the inside and where stress-points are in the GRP with carbon fiber. Additionally, had to cut out a portion of the athwartship support and glass-in a portion of G10 to give some room to the topside of long-ass WTC which slides under it. It was almost an interference-fit, and that would probably be a problem when immersing it in a cold body of water.
          You idiot!! You do know that that nuclear-powered, whiz-bank, deep-sea wonder SLR wonder-camera of your is equipped with a (gasp!) flash... Don't cha?

Use it, moron!

David
          Who should be charging you rent
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Davjacva
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Nov 2022

Finally got the decking re-done, so on to the tower. I had to re-create most of the wintergarten, as mostly only the top railings for the upper and lower sections were all that were left. Engles created a brass wintergarten...but they didn't solder it. It was all glued together...really. It had been coming apart, and after I used Easy-Off oven cleaner to strip the paint, pretty much the rest of it came apart. Luckily, I had photos along the way, so I could re-create what was. I'm just about done actually, and need to take some more photos of that. These photos are when I'm starting. I'm using a resistance soldering unit, and using the tweezers vice the probe and clamp. Doing it in-place sucks, as it would be infinitely better to do it off-hull. Doing it on the hull, you have to be really creative with how you're going to hold it. I used thread, wooden brace, Blue-Tac, and a clamp in order to keep the pieces straight while you hold solder in one hand, the tweezers in the other and using a foot switch. I really need to go the Zaphod Beeblebrox route and get a 3rd arm attached right? :) First I got all the vertical supports done, then the horizontals were done. The latter took much longer as you constantly have to figure out how to hold it in place. You also have to figure out how not to un-solder adjacent work. I use strips of aluminum foil to act as heat sinks, it works most of the time. Afterward, the joints have to be cleaned up, and I do this with jeweler's files and metal impregnated rubber wheels on the Dremel which gets most of it. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4431.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	178897 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4432.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	178898 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4430.jpg
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	178899 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4447.jpg
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	178900 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4443.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	178901 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4433.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	178902 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4415.jpg
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	178903

Comment

• Davjacva
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Nov 2022

This is part of the on-going shaft work that is going on. Here more oilite bearings are being machined. Dave caught that the starboard shaft was not centered in the stuffing tube and steady bearing support, so he machined an off-set bearing for the latter. The stainless steel shafts on the WTC are machined to accept the universals here. I need to take some updated shaft photos as it's all about done. We had a big delay this last weekend trying to get a Corona receiver to talk to the radio. Finally figured it out. This is almost all the work left on the lower hull besides cosmetic and getting the upper hull pieces to lock down. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4435.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.8 KB ID:	178905 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4436.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.5 KB ID:	178906 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4434.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.7 KB ID:	178907 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4439.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.7 KB ID:	178908 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4441.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.4 KB ID:	178909 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4440.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.8 KB ID:	178910 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4437.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.9 KB ID:	178911 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4446.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.1 KB ID:	178916 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4445.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.7 KB ID:	178915 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4444.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.0 KB ID:	178914 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4442.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.4 KB ID:	178913
              Last edited by Davjacva; 03-18-2024, 03:20 PM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                • Aug 2008

Would it kill you to focus that god-damned camera of yours?????!!!!!......
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Davjacva
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Nov 2022

Finishing up with re-creating the wintergarten for the sub's tower with my resistance soldering rig. Still need to clean up with files and rotary metal-impregnated rubber disks. Additionally, got the drive shafts working with the WTC. Dave made all new bushings for the existing steady bearings, as well as completely new props. Hooked it all up with the new interfacing 1/12 scale truck universals and...whack-a-whack-a-whack!! Lot's of alignment noise. Something was fishy and I kind of blanked out about it, but I knew from my days at automotive school there was something about the drive shaft that I wasn't getting right. Called my buddy Willy Loewer of CUSTOMRCMODELS to bounce it at, and he was out of town. Luckily, my predicament was far from foreign to trucks and cars. If fact, it's pretty much in about every rc truck and car instruction sheet regarding installation. The drive shaft has to be 'in phase', and ours was 'out of phase'. It goes like this, the leading and trailing connecting universals have to be in alignment, and the middle section has to be in alignment. This is because of the shifting weights involved. If they are 'out of phase', the different sections rotate at different speeds (dramatically) and the difference in shifting weights create the noise. The more the angle changes, the more the noise if it's 'out of phase'. The noise creates vibrations which will increase degradation of the drive shaft seals within the WTC and possibly other issues. Anyway, worked through that, hope this helps.
                  Jake
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Davjacva
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Nov 2022

I haven't got much left on this sub to do, but I'm focusing work right now on SSN-591 getting the hull corrected and it's moving forward. On the other half of the week I'm finishing work on the Type IX...slowly. I removed the light housings on the sides of the sail and found via mistake and talking to Merriman that these can be machined quite a bit. So I machined the 5mm LED's to fit inside the brass housings. I'm using a 3mm LED for the stern light. Here I'm sacrificing blue LED's as I've got a gazzilion of them and don't have any need for them...yet. I've made a module with a voltage regulator and 3 capacitors to keep the voltage and current in check to protect the lights with the ever-changing battery sources.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...