X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Norantio
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Oct 2022

Have been doing a lot of rework lately ​

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like Norantio.

Click image for larger version  Name:	view 43.png Views:	0 Size:	55.7 KB ID:	172256Click image for larger version  Name:	view 46.png Views:	0 Size:	55.1 KB ID:	172257Click image for larger version  Name:	view 48.png Views:	0 Size:	57.8 KB ID:	172258
    Attached Files

Comment

• Norantio
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Oct 2022

Spent a little bit figuring out the shape of the top shell. I model like a caveman, I know.

Also, can someone help with with adding pictures to posts? I'm having difficulty

More pics, higher res:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	8lS1KQr.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	172262Click image for larger version

Name:	ncWVjzu.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	172263Click image for larger version

Name:	EANyzLq.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	172264
      Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like Norantio.

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Freaking cool creativity!
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Norantio
          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
          • Oct 2022

Originally posted by trout
          Freaking cool creativity!
          Thank you! I'm working on the code for all of the doors now, chatgpt-4 is super helpful

Comment

• Norantio
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
            • Oct 2022

In the final physical design phase now:

Color guide: Yellow is generally for moving pieces, blue for motors and associated gearing, red for electronics, and the neon green/yellow (I'm colorblind, give me a pass here haha) is the "shape" of the top shell.

The theory: Water will be sucked into the top and bottom by way of the yellow impellers surrounding the middle section. The water then goes into a toroidal shaped chamber also in the middle, which in turn goes out different directional tubes. Each directional tube is controlled by a butterfly valve. The impellers will be controlled by the 2/4 of the larger blue motors. The other two motors will be modeled in like a pump jet. Still working on that part.

Whats with all the electronics? I plan on having accelerometers at each end and in the middle to create a virtual center of gravity to assist with auto-leveling and postional holding. Up front are two cameras controlled by a raspberry pi CM4 attached to a 3D vision hat, a fiber convertor, & 2 time of flight distance sensors. At the back, there will be: 1 Teensy4.1 microcontroller which will process all accelerometer, temp, and pressure sensor data. It will send movement data to a 16 channel servo controller. There will also be a microcontroller for each landing leg/door, since there will be a lot of limit switches, servos, and lights for each. There are 12 4k mah batteries surrounding the central chamber.

The majority of pieces will be printed in polypropylene (PP) filament which is both water resistant, and the brand I'm using, 25% lighter than water by volume, and I'll add in hollow spheres for extra buoyancy wherever needed, as well as print with a low infill. Smaller more delicate pieces such as ones needed for the leg/door mechanisms will be in resin. All electronics will either be sealed in epoxy/electrical silicon or be in a mineral oil container. I have tested that with the cameras, and it works flawlessly.

If none of this works, I'm having a good time regardless.

imgur link: https://imgur.com/a/mCsSh8r

Click image for larger version  Name:	view 70.png Views:	0 Size:	60.8 KB ID:	172394Click image for larger version  Name:	view 71.png Views:	0 Size:	72.9 KB ID:	172395Click image for larger version  Name:	view 74.png Views:	0 Size:	74.1 KB ID:	172396Click image for larger version  Name:	view 75.png Views:	0 Size:	71.7 KB ID:	172397Click image for larger version  Name:	view 72.png Views:	0 Size:	53.4 KB ID:	172398Click image for larger version  Name:	view 73.png Views:	0 Size:	54.0 KB ID:	172399Click image for larger version  Name:	view 77.png Views:	0 Size:	56.3 KB ID:	172401
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Norantio; 07-24-2023, 12:14 PM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

Ah... yeah. Sure. Right.

First r/c submarine?

Color me skeptical.

David
              Luddite
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Norantio
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Oct 2022

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                Ah... yeah. Sure. Right.

First r/c submarine?

Color me skeptical.

David
                Luddite
                It is my first one.

Comment

• redboat219
                  Admiral
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Norantio

If none of this works, I'm having a good time regardless.

Click image for larger version Name:	view 77.png Views:	0 Size:	56.3 KB ID:	172401
                  You could catch ectoplasmic entities with that thing...

Just remember,

Don't cross the streams… It would be bad… Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
                  Last edited by redboat219; 07-24-2023, 09:42 PM.
                  Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

Working...