X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sinksalot
    Commander
    • Mar 2020

1/48 Engel Gato

Well I didn't think I would be working on this sub this year, but I was able to get a OTW cylinder to convert it from a dry hull to a wet hull last week. So I have a question, I will be 3D printing all the guns for this Gato, but the ships railing, should I keep it. I figure I keep the conning tower railing, but what about the deck railing? Here a picture of the top deck.

Thanks
    Dave

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3098.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	163166

Name:	IMG_3099.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	163167
    Attached Files
  • neitosub
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Nov 2021

I didn’t model the railing on my Type II due to the way the hull separates (vertical split). IMHO brass railings do look nice but depending on the diameter of the rods, they could still be very fragile. Knowing how clumsy I can be, I decided to not model them.

Nate

Comment

• SubDude
      Captain
      • Dec 2019

Keep it. If it is already there, why remove it?

Comment

• Sinksalot
        Commander
        • Mar 2020

Ok, for now i will keep deck railing. Need to finish cutting the deck and conning tower gun bases so I can install the news guns. Then I will see if I can repair the scopes and antenna or 3D print a new top array.

Comment

• Sinksalot
          Commander
          • Mar 2020

Just finish printing a 1/48 scale 5 inch Gato gun on my new resin printer for my Gato. I think it came out good.

Name:	IMG_3147.JPG
Views:	384
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	163351

Name:	IMG_3146.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	163352

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

Very nice!
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• SubDude
              Captain
              • Dec 2019

The gun looks really good David.

Comment

• Sam Victory
                Commander
                • Sep 2021

Good stuff. However, there is no more company called "Engel" now, it has been "eaten" by "Haifeng" model company, China , few years ago...

V

Comment

• SubDude
                  Captain
                  • Dec 2019

They are still operating as Engel as far as I can tell.

Comment

• redboat219
                    Admiral
                    • Dec 2008

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20220804-191950_Chrome.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.6 KB ID:	163364
                    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Sam Victory
                      Commander
                      • Sep 2021

Yes, the official website is still there, but in fact their molds have been in China for a long time, and the hull you bought in the past few years are all made from the "Haifeng model". Perhaps I‘m a little regretful for stating this fact, but that' it , no matter how you want to believe it or not...

V

Comment

• Sinksalot
                        Commander
                        • Mar 2020

I know 3 to 4 years ago something happen, I don't know what, but they stopped keeping as much stock as they use too at Engel. I ask them back then why some of the sub kits are never in stock any more like their type VII. They said the kits were being laid down in the island of Malta and that production stopped there and they were looking for a new place to get them made. They since have not sold another Type VII kit since then.

Comment

• Sam Victory
                          Commander
                          • Sep 2021

Yeah...The owner of Haifeng told me that place, "the island of Malta" where Engel's factory located , which I still remember. "Haifeng model" is a Chinese company and it started in the 90s, mainly doing the International Model OEM(Original Equipment Manufacturer),basically for European companies like Robbe, Engel, etc. Of course they produce the goods of very high quality.

V

Comment

• Sinksalot
                            Commander
                            • Mar 2020

Yea I really wanted a Engel type VII back them. I still want one, but I don't think they are going to sell them again. People have built used Engel VII for sale, but they most likely wont make it to the US in one piece the way shipping companies handle them.

Comment

• Sam Victory
                              Commander
                              • Sep 2021

Don't be in a hurry, just trust me. Before I left this hobby I think the most meaningful thing I did was to recommend bob's company to Haifeng Models, I acted as a middleman so that their two companies could work together, it will take some time for them to talk it out. If it works out, then you can easily buy many kinds of models, including those submarine kits from Engel. The production speed of Haifeng Models is amazing. I am going to post some relevant pictures but unfortunately I deleted them, you can ask Bob, I sent them to him. Once again, all of the things I did for nothing in return are all for the development and future of this hobby.

V

Comment

Working...