Sheerline 1:27 German Type IID sub

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

I love the motor-mounts. And you can't beat the ballast sub-system for simplicity. And Andy's points are well made and taken to heart.

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

How are we coming on this build roedj? I thinks that me wants one of those meself. Your the guini-pig.
      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• roedj
        Captain
        • Sep 2008

The buddy who has the milling machine that we were going to use to open up the flood holes got ill at the end of last year and so progress stopped. However, I had lunch with him yesterday and he says he's back and rarin' to go so stay tuned.

Dan
        Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

Comment

• Warpatroller
          Lieutenant
          • Dec 2012

I find this kit highly interesting.. Though I am put off by the task of opening all those flood holes in the upper deck and hull sides..(one reason I like the XXIII, especially the Bronco hull with the tower holes already opened) That fiberglass is THICK on this model! It does seem like it would take a long time to do it and I would be concerned that I would be unhappy with the results, trying to do it all by hand. A milling machine could be helpful here.
          "Wir kommen ihnen unbekannt."

Comment

• roedj
            Captain
            • Sep 2008

I feel, or rather I know, your pain. A friend of mine who has a milling machine and I have been trying to open up those holes for over a year now and progress, what there is, is very slow. We only have an X/Y digital readout and the calculations alone will drive one to drink. We'll get there but don't hold your breath.

I too have neither the patience nor skill to do a first class job with a file and a drill to start the holes. My eyesight ain't too hot either.

Dan

Comment

• Aug 2008

Pull the stepper motors out, put the hand-wheels back on, and YOU drive that cross-slide!
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• roedj
                Captain
                • Sep 2008

Guess again, Bucko, there are no stepper motors. We're doing this all by hand wheels guided by the X-Y digital readout. I only wish it was an NC mill. I could have drawn it up and been done a long time ago.

Dan (slowly going blind)

Comment

• Aug 2008

I stand corrected, sir.

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Albion
                    Captain
                    • Dec 2008

what a beast, i love this one
                    Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

Working...