X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Navy2000
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Jan 2018

USS Jimmy Carter SSN 23 1/96

Well I figured I would go ahead and post my build of the Jimmy Carter here. I mostly build surface Naval models but decided I go ahead and build a sub for the first time. I could have done a normal sub design but I like to do things that stand out with in the class of ships or even subs now.

I first had to purchase two hulls to make the length that I needed for this project.

Here the two hulls have been cut and rejoined to make one hull that is 12 1/2 inches longer than the normal Seawolf class.

After some time went by I got with David Merriman and got the build going again with his help. Here we had to get the upper hull half to pull back in so that it would match with the lower half. Dave made this jig and we put the upper hull inside and put some fiberglass inside to pull it back into shape.

While that was setting up we went ahead and got started with the drive cylinder in which the ballast tank had to be 1/3 longer that what is inside the Seawolf.

Gettting ready for the Z cuts.

Z cuts are done and joined.

I will post more another day.

Duane
  • Navy2000
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Jan 2018

Here are some additional photos of this build.

I think we all know this guy.

Stern planes on the model along with the dihedrals.

Duane

Comment

• Navy2000
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Jan 2018

here are some up to date photos.

The first is of the Jimmy Carter next to my model of the Kidd DDG 993 that is 70" long.

Now for the filling of all the seems and the sanding that goes with it.

Duane

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Looking good, Duane. But you're using too much Nitro-Stan where a two-part filler would be better suited to the task of deep fill and contouring.
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DrSchmidt
          Captain
          • Apr 2014

What is it with us submarines having their sails so far off center to the bow? I once read a paper that said that this is bad with respect to the drag coefficient....

Comment

• wlambing
            Commander
            • Nov 2020

Lately, we've taken to inserting large modules well aft of the sail, which makes it look like the sail is way off. The sail was there first! Then, the modules were designed and inserted. The Block V Virginia Class are going to look that way, too. Kind of like "Baby" boomers!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by wlambing
              Lately, we've taken to inserting large modules well aft of the sail, which makes it look like the sail is way off. The sail was there first! Then, the modules were designed and inserted. The Block V Virginia Class are going to look that way, too. Kind of like "Baby" boomers!
              Three things at work here: 1. Now that we've dropped periscope tubes running through the hull, sail location is no longer driven by where they stick the control room. 2. The forward sail might be out of the 'water slam' that occurs during high speed, high turn rate maneuvers (snap-roll) as the water sheds from the boundry layer and goes crazy turbulent, and 3. The sail so far forward of the c.g. de-stabilizes the boat about the yaw axis which may increase the turn rate.

These observations and hypothesis are my own and not derived from any readings I can remember. I very well could be full of **** on the matter.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                Captain
                • Apr 2014

That's why I ask...

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...Mini_Submarine

Also a good read:
                Last edited by DrSchmidt; 05-13-2022, 08:59 AM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by DrSchmidt
                  That second document is most enlightening, Doctor. Thank you so much for sharing that. I now have a weeks worth of night reading to do. Froud, Rynolds -- familiar names/terms in this game. Wish I had the math skills to better understand their findings.

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• jphatton
                    Lieutenant
                    • Jan 2021

Originally posted by DrSchmidt
                    In addition there is a follow on publication by Joubert, going into further detail on submarine design optimisation. Here is the link to the PDF;

The concept of the SSK presented in the paper became the basis of a standard hydrodynamic models (the BB2) of a modern conventional submarine for studies in the open literature. There are number of publications from CDF, wind tunnel and test tank models studies. The MARIN institute in the Netherlands made a 3.8m long model for free running tank tests.

Comment

• Navy2000
                      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                      • Jan 2018

Ok here is a little bit more of this build.

After a few days of working at it I was able to get the stern planes in and aligned with each other.

When the stern planes are at full rise the two magnets are separated by 1/32" but they do come back together when the servo moves back. Should I have any concerns for this or is it ok? They stay close together by the attraction of the magnets like they are still trying to get back together.

Duane

Comment

• Aug 2008

From 1/16" brass rod bend a U-shaped retainer that you slip over the ends of the resin magnet foundations. This will keep the control surface pushrod from dropping away if the magnets are pulled away to a degree where the magnetic attraction is lost.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0271.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	161737

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0272.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	161738

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

David shows the simple solution to magnets pulling apart.
                          I did a 3D printed version that did the same thing.
                          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Navy2000
                            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                            • Jan 2018

Thanks Dave

Duane

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Navy2000
                              Thanks Dave

Duane
                              Anytime, pal. You're boat's looking good.

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...