1/48 scale Type VIIC U-201 build

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monahan Steam Models
    replied
    Hey Bud, this is the first time that I’ve checked in with this space in the last month. I’ve been busy taking the fight to Russia offensive every way I can. I have blood in my hands but I won’t stop till this ends.

Leave a comment:

• SubDude
    replied
    Hey Nick, you still with us? Just wondering how things are going for you.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by James Wittaker
    My home country, the UK, continues to supply military weapons to Ukraine, while China only provides large amounts of relief supplies to Ukraine for humanitarian reasons. Weapons only bring more casualties, the innocent in the war are civilians, what is wrong with them ...?
    James & Nick,

Special thanks to nick for his support of Ukraine. James, you are right! This is a terrible situation that the Ukrainian civilians are going through as well as there country! The Ukraine and it's people just want to live in peace!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 03-22-2022, 01:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• James Wittaker
    replied
    My home country, the UK, continues to supply military weapons to Ukraine, while China only provides large amounts of relief supplies to Ukraine for humanitarian reasons. Weapons only bring more casualties, the innocent in the war are civilians, what is wrong with them ...?

Leave a comment:

• Monahan Steam Models
    replied
    I apologize for my lack of updating this thread as my attention has been focused on supporting efforts in Ukraine.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by Monahan Steam Models
    Hi Rob,

The deck fits down in the hull halves so the deck is flush with the top edges of hull. Keep up the great work with your build! Enjoying the updates.

Nick
    Thanks Nick,

That's what it looked like on your build. The build manual was not to clear on it at all! I am having fun with this build, learning new skills and materials to work with (LEGOS) who would have thought! The gearing on the rudder system works very smooth! We will see.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• Monahan Steam Models
    replied
    Hi Rob,

The deck fits down in the hull halves so the deck is flush with the top edges of hull. Keep up the great work with your build! Enjoying the updates.

Nick

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Thanks Steve! I’m very happy with the way the splitting of the hull has gone.

Check out all that access now!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_49721.jpg
Views:	1159
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	156181

By far the single best modification that I could’ve done to this build.

Nick
    Hi Nick,

I have a question about the top deck on the Arkmodel VII!

Does the deck fit on top of the hull, or fit down flush with the deck? The manual does not rally say. It looks in your photo that you fit it down inside the hull so that it is flush?!.

Thanks Nick! As always I appreciate your help!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• Monahan Steam Models
    replied
    Been distracted by other things consuming my attention lately but here’s a small snapshot of where things are with the central ballast tank module. Click image for larger version

Name:	2107EA48-D815-4B6B-B3D3-81947D956B01.jpeg
Views:	238
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	159973

A foundation has been started that locates into the type VII hull the main ballast tank and also which carries the power, data, LPB circuitry, and many other systems.

Nick

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied

Hi Rob,

Just saw your question. I cannot speak from experience of following the build manual. I have studied it a few times but I took a completely different course with the model I’m assembling. I have dry assembled the hull many times to study how everything fits. To this day, I have still not glued the lower hull halves together as I am still mocking up the working gear. The above waterline hull sections and deck are mostly permanently bonded together now.

As Sam has mentioned above he followed the steps for the most part with good results. The way Bob M split the hull using the aft section and removable deck in his videos works well. Especially if you’re keeping the build relatively simple. I split my build at the waterline to allow more access to the inside of the hull mainly because of the additional features like the torpedo launchers and so on. The water line split also slightly reduces the chances of damaging the smaller details like the handrails and other bits.

Nick
    Thank you Nick and Sam,

My skill level at this time (mind, sight, and hands) working together to do a waterline cut is just not going to work for me. I have put the hull together as Nick suggested at onetime and installed the WTC, and at this point I did not see a problem with the way the sections came apart, or any problem with access to the controls (push rods, drive shafts, or electronics) the WTC slides right out the aft section with no problem.

As to your response to the original question. I will use the manual as a guide point and use it as a step by step guide to putting the boat together. And of course, as always make some modifications to linkages and such as I move along.

Thank you both very much for your help and advice.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• Monahan Steam Models
    replied
    Originally posted by rwtdiver
    Hi Nick,

I have a question on the ARKMODEL Type VII building sequence? Would you suggest I use the build manual that came with the kit as to the actual building sequence? The manual for the most part makes sense as to how everything would go together in order!

Thanks Nick,

Rob
    Hi Rob,

Just saw your question. I cannot speak from experience of following the build manual. I have studied it a few times but I took a completely different course with the model I’m assembling. I have dry assembled the hull many times to study how everything fits. To this day, I have still not glued the lower hull halves together as I am still mocking up the working gear. The above waterline hull sections and deck are mostly permanently bonded together now.

As Sam has mentioned above he followed the steps for the most part with good results. The way Bob M split the hull using the aft section and removable deck in his videos works well. Especially if you’re keeping the build relatively simple. I split my build at the waterline to allow more access to the inside of the hull mainly because of the additional features like the torpedo launchers and so on. The water line split also slightly reduces the chances of damaging the smaller details like the handrails and other bits.

Nick

Leave a comment:

• goshawk823
    replied
    Originally posted by rwtdiver
    Hi Nick,

I have a question on the ARKMODEL Type VII building sequence? Would you suggest I use the build manual that came with the kit as to the actual building sequence? The manual for the most part makes sense as to how everything would go together in order!

Thanks Nick,

Rob
    Rob- I followed it for the most part, but I'm going to do what Nick has done, and abandon the removal of the aft section and go with a waterline cut. In my opinion, there's too much slop in not making the sections permanently bonded together and held with a couple of cheap screws.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Hi Nick,

Thanks Nick,

Rob

Leave a comment:

• Monahan Steam Models
    replied
    Hoping to provide some progress updates very soon. Been deep down the rabbit hole lately of designing parts. Working closer to having something worth sharing.

Leave a comment:

• SubDude
    replied
    What's the latest on this Nick? Looking forward to an update?

Leave a comment:

Working...