Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tifosi12
    Commander
    • Jul 2020

BTW: Somebody could use those torpedoes for a static display (combined with the RC sub) of e.g. the sub being refurbished with fresh torpedoes.

IIRC this boat had a unique technique of loading the torpedoes from the front with the help of a special rig.

I used some of the leftover conning tower parts for the Type II sub Bob sells as 3D files on his website. Happens to be the same scale.

Comment

• redboat219
      Admiral
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by tifosi12
      BTW: Somebody could use those torpedoes for a static display (combined with the RC sub) of e.g. the sub being refurbished with fresh torpedoes.

IIRC this boat had a unique technique of loading the torpedoes from the front with the help of a special rig.
      Manfred (mfr1964) made a loading cradle for his Type XXIII.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	P3090074_zpsmdvzvppi.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	152681
      We welcome all your projects here, regardless of the model manufacturer. You can upload photographs to your own album and display them here.

Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• MFR1964
        Detail Nut of the First Order
        • Sep 2010

Nick,

The type XXIII is a nice little boat, builded mine a few years ago, have enough miles under the belt with driving her with joy, you mentioned the waterline cut, i went for the radial cut, profided by Bronco itself, she is coupled together by using magnets, it will take a few seconds to take her apart and retrieve the SD without using any tools.
        As for the torps, i also went that way, take care to get your launcingtubes as far to the hullside as possible, there is not enough room when you use the Bronco torpedo bulkhead to clear the torpedo doors.

Manfred.
        I went underground

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
          Captain
          • Apr 2020

Originally posted by MFR1964
          Nick,

The type XXIII is a nice little boat, builded mine a few years ago, have enough miles under the belt with driving her with joy, you mentioned the waterline cut, i went for the radial cut, profided by Bronco itself, she is coupled together by using magnets, it will take a few seconds to take her apart and retrieve the SD without using any tools.
          As for the torps, i also went that way, take care to get your launcingtubes as far to the hullside as possible, there is not enough room when you use the Bronco torpedo bulkhead to clear the torpedo doors.

Manfred.

Manfred,

I must’ve read and re-read your type XXIII build as well as Tom’s and David’s 3 or 4 times now over the past couple years. Great stuff. In fact I have all three of these builds book marked so I can return to them as reference.

I’ve gone back and forth debating to do the water line cut or using the kits original split as you have done. Both have their advantages. I think if I were to use the split in the hull as you have successfully shown, I would also allow all four hull sections to be separated like you have done with you build as it is the most logical and beneficial means of working on the boat.

Thank you for the heads up regarding the torpedo tube spacing placement. I have not gotten that far in my initial study of the kits components to have noticed that. I realize that you were able to use your 1/35 electric torpedoes from your type VII in your type XXIII. The Bronco kit G7E torpedoes are nice but seem a bit fat for 1/35 scale. They seam closer to 1/32 scale. That being said, I’ve been thinking about possibly using them anyway and making them functional.

How do you like the SAS system on your boat? I was thinking of keeping this build a snort system as I really appreciate the features of this type of design.

Nick

Comment

• tifosi12
            Commander
            • Jul 2020

Interesting approach with the vertical cut. I used that for my Type VII and tried magnets as well, but they weren't strong enough to hold it together. I had to add screws.

Given the difficulty of making a horizontal cut, this might be a good approach since the boat is already horizontally split.

Comment

• MFR1964
              Detail Nut of the First Order
              • Sep 2010

Nick,

My torps are made from aluminum cigartubes, light and allready in the shape of a torpedo, you only have to construct the rearpart, those Bronco torps are indeed not really scale and a tad fatter than 1:35 scale.
              As for the SAS, it works fine, only added a droplet catcher in the design of David, that nice whoosh you hear, when leveling the pressure, tends to suck in fine waterdroplets from the rubber seal at the SAS schnorkelhead, using snort is also a good working option, it depends on what you want for yourself, i went bananas with my boat, me like Rube Goldstein.

Tifosi,

The vertical cut was a gamble, i wanted to try that first, it made the design of the SD somewhat different, David gave me a warning about this, trimming the boat was a bit of a nightmare, but turned out well.
              Using magnets only won't work, they are not that powerfull with sheer-action, only pulling straight gives you the best strenght, my SD inside acts like a backbone, prefenting the sheer-action, with my Ko Hykoteki i added some pins to give me more strenght, but that boat is a complete different design.

Manfred.
              I went underground

Comment

• redboat219
                Admiral
                • Dec 2008

There is a German RC sub kit supplier Maximus-Modellbau who utilizes the vertical hull break on the Type XXIII but he doesn't use the kit's separation instead he a new cut further aft and use a bayonet style locking mechanism to hold the fore and aft hulls together.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                  Captain
                  • Apr 2020

Took some measurements of the type XXIII’s hull cross section at the kit’s vertical split today and from there created a solid model bulkhead in CAD. Printed it out in white ABS filament. Here’s how it fit the hull.

Name:	A31E52C0-AA97-4B43-A99C-127A5C83A6B3.jpeg
Views:	289
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	152720

Comment

• redboat219
                    Admiral
                    • Dec 2008

Nice. How will you join to 2 ends together?
                    Last edited by redboat219; 08-24-2021, 06:02 AM.

Comment

• redboat219
                      Admiral
                      • Dec 2008

Would it be feasible to use the technique employed by Arkmodel in jointing the forward and rear section of their 1/48 Type VII with the Bronco kit? Click image for larger version

Name:	01_fs.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	152723Click image for larger version

Name:	arkmodel7602kreviewlp_3.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	152724

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                        Captain
                        • Apr 2020

Originally posted by redboat219
                        Nice. How will you join to 2 ends together?
                        Thanks. I have not 100% decided on how I’m going to split the hull yet. Meaning vertically using the kit’s provided split or horizontally making a water line cut. For now I am taking the opportunity to document the hull cross sections in 3D CAD while the hull is still intact. This info may be useful later in the build.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                          Captain
                          • Apr 2020

Originally posted by redboat219
                          Would it be feasible to use the technique employed by Arkmodel in jointing the forward and rear section of their 1/48 Type VII with the Bronco kit? Click image for larger version

Name:	01_fs.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	152723Click image for larger version

Name:	arkmodel7602kreviewlp_3.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	152724
                          Yes I believe it would be possible by fabricating components to make this happen. This is where the hull cross section documentation is useful. It is one of the designs I am considering currently in the pre-build planning stage.

Comment

• tifosi12
                            Commander
                            • Jul 2020

Hope you'll get my parts soon. Looking forward to your next steps be that a horizontal or vertical cut.

Comment

• Paolo
                              Ensign
                              • Jan 2022

hello, may you give me some suggestion to make a proper cut of the hull in the vertical plane? like the very intersting suggestion I have read for the horizontal. Thank you in advance

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Paolo
                                hello, may you give me some suggestion to make a proper cut of the hull in the vertical plane? like the very intersting suggestion I have read for the horizontal. Thank you in advance

Name:	IMG_8665.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	158460

Name:	IMG_8668.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	158461

Name:	IMG_8693.JPG