Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SubDude
    Captain
    • Dec 2019

Got the kort nozzle/rudder, stern planes and keel parts done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210629_114745.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	151031

Name:	20210629_114804.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	151032

Comment

• tifosi12
      Commander
      • Jul 2020

Originally posted by RCJetDude
      Got the kort nozzle/rudder, stern planes and keel parts done.
      Nice job overall. At least your buddy will have a lot more room to get the RC bits into the tail section. In 1/12 I cannot do it, so have to figure out something else.

BTW: You need to remove that triangular part of the dive plane. Just take a look at Oto's drawings and you'll see. For some strange reason he adds these things everywhere, especially in the sail and keel sections. No idea why. They're definitely not required for stability.

Comment

• SubDude
        Captain
        • Dec 2019

Originally posted by tifosi12

Nice job overall. At least your buddy will have a lot more room to get the RC bits into the tail section. In 1/12 I cannot do it, so have to figure out something else.

BTW: You need to remove that triangular part of the dive plane. Just take a look at Oto's drawings and you'll see. For some strange reason he adds these things everywhere, especially in the sail and keel sections. No idea why. They're definitely not required for stability.
        They have already been removed. I took it to my buddy George's place this weekend as he is having a fly-in and Darrell is here so it would give him a chance to see it so far. He loves it. He said he has wanted one of these for 15 years. It weighs just shy of 21 lbs. right now. In the second picture you will see the tail of a 1/4 scale Jet Ranger that belongs to Darrell.

Name:	20210703_074924_copy_2016x1512.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	151123

Name:	20210703_074907_copy_2016x1512.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	151124

Comment

• tifosi12
          Commander
          • Jul 2020

Time to print the sail and Namornik

Comment

• tifosi12
            Commander
            • Jul 2020

Time to print the sail and Namornik
            Actually come to think of it: at 1/6 scale you could get one of the Soldiers of Fortune figures. That would look even more realistic.

Comment

• SubDude
              Captain
              • Dec 2019

I am printing the fuel tank version so right now I am printing them. Then I will print the sail parts. The torpedoes will end up being 3-1/2" in diameter and 48" long. My buddy wants to put a 1/6th action figure in it and maybe have it pop up out of the hatch. Lol..

Comment

• tifosi12
                Commander
                • Jul 2020

I am printing the fuel tank version so right now I am printing them. Then I will print the sail parts. The torpedoes will end up being 3-1/2" in diameter and 48" long. My buddy wants to put a 1/6th action figure in it and maybe have it pop up out of the hatch. Lol..
                Right, Soldiers of Fortune have great detail and would fit your scale. I went with the Namornik figure from Oto. It's good enough for 1/12. I'll only use it for some pictures on the surface. For real operation I'll have the hatch closed.

How are you going to make the "glass" cuppola on top of the hatch? Since you changed scale, you need to fabricate that yourself. I have tried "glass" PLA but it is not transparent.

Comment

• SubDude
                  Captain
                  • Dec 2019

Right, Soldiers of Fortune have great detail and would fit your scale. I went with the Namornik figure from Oto. It's good enough for 1/12. I'll only use it for some pictures on the surface. For real operation I'll have the hatch closed.

How are you going to make the "glass" cuppola on top of the hatch? Since you changed scale, you need to fabricate that yourself. I have tried "glass" PLA but it is not transparent.
                  My buddy Darrell can vacuum form it no problem. He also has a full size lathe and milling machine as well as a laser cutter and is very proficient with fiberglass and making molds. Having seen some of the stuff he has built he will not have any issues with this big Seehund. He will need to fabricate all of the PE parts as well.

Comment

• tifosi12
                    Commander
                    • Jul 2020

My buddy Darrell can vacuum form it no problem. He also has a full size lathe and milling machine as well as a laser cutter and is very proficient with fiberglass and making molds. Having seen some of the stuff he has built he will not have any issues with this big Seehund. He will need to fabricate all of the PE parts as well.
                    Impressive. He should have no problem then coming up with his own snorkels.

Not sure the PE parts really add that much to the sub. They're rather small compared to the rest. I used the bigger ones but they too are somewhat lost on the sub once you paint it.

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

Actually come to think of it: at 1/6 scale you could get one of the Soldiers of Fortune figures. That would look even more realistic.
                      When I was a kid, G.I. Joe came out with a German figures. The thought of one of those in there, makes me want to find my old GI Joe stuff.
                      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• tifosi12
                        Commander
                        • Jul 2020

Originally posted by trout

When I was a kid, G.I. Joe came out with a German figures. The thought of one of those in there, makes me want to find my old GI Joe stuff.
                        One of my other projects (which I will get to in about 357 years...) is a 1/6 soldiers of fortunes Kettenkrad. I drove one of those bad boys IRL and loved it. Figured I could mechanize the thing and add some RC to it. There are a ton of great figures and equipment once you go to 1/6 scale. All the more reason for small subs from WW2.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                          Welcome to my underwater realm!
                          • Aug 2009

Those triangular sections are there because Oto is a true professional draftsman who is familiar with 3D printing. Those eliminate the need for supports that waste time and filament.

Bob

Comment

• tifosi12
                            Commander
                            • Jul 2020

Originally posted by SubHuman

Those triangular sections are there because Oto is a true professional draftsman who is familiar with 3D printing. Those eliminate the need for supports that waste time and filament.

Bob
                            I realize that is his rationale, but they are not required. I print without supports and it makes no difference, especially these on the tail section since I print it vertical and they are just horizontal triangles supporting nothing. I feel the same about the little triangles he leaves in the windows of the sail and the half circles left in the keel sections and the sail. Doesn't serve any purpose.

That said I'm happy to see you feisty enough to give me push back. Again.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                              Welcome to my underwater realm!
                              • Aug 2009

Absolutely needed? Mebee not. Offering a higher quality Print? Absolutely.

I'd wager any place you find one it attaches to a horizontal unsupported print area, however small.

And yes... I feel pushy today. I blame it on the painkillers.. ;)

Bob

Comment

• tifosi12
                                Commander
                                • Jul 2020

Originally posted by SubHuman
                                Absolutely needed? Mebee not. Offering a higher quality Print? Absolutely.

I'd wager any place you find one it attaches to a horizontal unsupported print area, however small.

And yes... I feel pushy today. I blame it on the painkillers.. ;)

Bob
                                Dude, I'm just happy to see you hit the keyboard. Keep it going!

As for the supports by Oto, not a big deal either way IMHO. I'm just frustrated that I didn't realize there was another one of these in the conning tower and I glued the whole thing together before getting rid of the support piece, which made it difficult for the rest. Water under the bridge now.

As it stands now I think my first Seehund will become the prototype for the second. I've already made so many alterations in CAD as well as to the printed parts that a second round of printing modified pieces might be worth a second boat.

All the best with your recovery.

Comment

Working...