X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SubDude
    Captain
    • Dec 2019

3D printing a 1/6th Seehund

I got an Ender 5+ for it's bigger print volume and after a few upgrades and some calibration it is printing beautifully. It's first sub project is a 1/6th Seehund for my good friend Darrell as it is something he has wanted for a long time. I purchased a set of files from Oto at rcsubs.cz which are very high resolution so hardly any facetting. So far I have the first two sections of the hull printed which amount to about 2' of length. When complete it should be around 78" long. I am printing it at 100% infill from ASA. It will take awhile to print but will be worth it. More pictures to come.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210504_113413.jpg
Views:	651
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	149601
  • tifosi12
    Commander
    • Jul 2020

OMG. 1/6, that's hardcore!

I bought the same files from Oto and I'm printing them on an Ender 3 Pro in 1/12. I thought that takes forever but you define forever in a new way. I would guess your print times are around 50 hours a piece.

I have been thinking about getting the Ender 5 Plus for a variety of reasons. What upgrades did you do on your Plus?

At any rate, I'd love to compare notes and see your progress. Oto uses his own way of attaching the sections together and opening the hull. I'm not a fan of that and will alter the STL files to my liking.

Keep us posted.

Comment

• SubDude
      Captain
      • Dec 2019

The longest prints have literally taken a full week so far.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210515_171517.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.9 KB ID:	150119
      On my Ender 5+ I built an enclosure out of 5/8 OSB and moved the electronics below it. A 400W heater gets the ambient easily up to 45C inside the box. I also replaced the plastic extruder plate with an all metal one, replaced the stock hot end with one that has a titanium heat break and swapped out the motherboard and display with a set from Bigtreetech, the SKR MINI E3 V2.0 + TFT35 E3 V3.0. The display was mounted to the front of the electronics enclosure via a 3D printed adapter that allows easy access for the SD card. Other than that I flipped the glass build plate over and I use Magigoo to adhere the parts. I did also run a series of calibrations on the machine which helped. I am printing ASA without any warping problems and very good quality prints. Currently this Seehund is being printed using eSun ASA but I have had equal success with Polymaker Polylite ASA as well. I am using Simplify 3D for my slicer and have the nozzle set at 250C with the bed at 90C. It has been rock solid. I made the same basic upgrades to my Ender 3 Pro as well and both machines print ASA great. It is literally all I print with anymore. Here are my two printers. I am printing Oto's files straight up at 290% to achieve the 1/6th size without and modifications.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210309_152118.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.9 KB ID:	150120
      Last edited by SubDude; 05-25-2021, 03:13 AM.

Comment

• tifosi12
        Commander
        • Jul 2020

Wow, don't know what impressed me more: the size of parts or all the modifications you made to your printers.

If you don't modify Oto's files then I assume you won't be using his technique of screwing the sections together. You glue them instead? That's what I'm planning to do. How/where will you separate the sub to access the SD? I'm planning on cutting a top section out. Your SD must also be of gigantic proportions.

Amazing project. Keep us posted please.

Comment

• SubDude
          Captain
          • Dec 2019

It will be screwed together. The hull will separate in three sections as designed. There is so much room inside this hull because of it's size that a cylinder or Modular Sub System would not be a problem to just slide in place.

Comment

• tifosi12
            Commander
            • Jul 2020

Why are you going for 1/6th scale? Is it going to be part of a 1/6 toy soldier diorama?

From a practical perspective this thing will be gigantic, much bigger than anything I would want to haul around or have the capacity for. Of course it will look stunning, but I was just curious as to why this huge scale?

Comment

• SubDude
              Captain
              • Dec 2019

It is what my buddy Darrell wants. I am printing it for him.. He is someone who is building from scratch a 152" wingspan Stuka dive bomber and a 1/4 scale OV-10. He likes large models and can fabricate whatever he wants that doesn't exist. He is an amazingly talented builder. 3D printing this boat is the quickest way to get him the Sehhund he wants. He lives in Dalton, GA and is the person who turned us on to the Red Clay resort for SubFest in Cohutta. He said the locals call it the "swimming hole". He can also whip up a mean Low Country Boil.
              Last edited by SubDude; 05-25-2021, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• Subculture
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

That will weigh a ton when wet. The OTW one at 1/9th is enough of a lump. For large models like that, I'd look at a means of plugging the vents in the top of the hull, then run a low pressure air line and use that to displace the majority of the water. Personally I prefer smaller models of 1-5kg displacement.

Comment

• tifosi12
                  Commander
                  • Jul 2020

Originally posted by Subculture
                  That will weigh a ton when wet. The OTW one at 1/9th is enough of a lump. For large models like that, I'd look at a means of plugging the vents in the top of the hull, then run a low pressure air line and use that to displace the majority of the water. Personally I prefer smaller models of 1-5kg displacement.
                  I was contemplating to get the OTW 1/9th but luckily I came across one of your videos first where you discuss it in depth. First I realized how huge the thing is and then at the end of your video you mention the muscles it takes to get this thing out of the water. That's when I decided against it and turn to Oto's 1/12. So thanks for your video!

My personal preference is a sub small enough that I can fit it on the backseat of my car. Which also means I can carry it around under one arm. I prefer less hassle.

Comment

• Subculture
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Are you getting me mixed up with Bob ? Nom de plume 'Subhuman'.

Comment

• tifosi12
                      Commander
                      • Jul 2020

Originally posted by Subculture
                      Are you getting me mixed up with Bob ? Nom de plume 'Subhuman'.
                      Yes I am. LOL. Subhuman vs Subculture, both Admiral stripes and both a Nautilus.

Separated at birth? Brother by another mother? :)

Comment

• tifosi12
                        Commander
                        • Jul 2020

Any updates?

Comment

• SubDude
                          Captain
                          • Dec 2019

Printing the keel parts now. All of the main hull sections are done.

Name:	20210614_092837.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	150735 Here it is compared to a 1/48th DeBoer LA class boat.

Name:	20210614_152533.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	150736
                          The hull is just under 78" long without the kort nozzle/rudder.

Name:	20210614_092539.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	150737

Comment

• trout
                            Admiral
                            • Jul 2011

This definitely falls into the go big or go home slogan!
                            Wow, very cool.
                            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                              Welcome to my underwater realm!
                              • Aug 2009

Steve,

I'm sick and tired of these baby subs you keep building. When are you going to build something BIG!?

Comment

Working...