X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coryhenry
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jul 2020

Any reason to not use Aluminum Rods?

Just wondering if there is a reason to avoid aluminum rods for construction? I always see brass which is heavier.

Thoughts?
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Same question.
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Subculture
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Very soft. I favour stainless steel.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
        Welcome to my underwater realm!
        • Aug 2009

Rods for what? Linkages? As Andy pointed out, aluminum is really soft and bends easily. Most people use stainless or brass. I like brass as it is easier to solder to for connectors.

Word to the wise, don't mix your metals, IE: run a brass rod through an aluminum tube used as a bushing. The two metals interact and will corrode.

Bob

Comment

• coryhenry
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Jul 2020

Thanks Bob,

Tracking not mixing metals. I was going to use 1/8 aluminum rod for the rudder and planes posts. In that short length it seems plenty stiff.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
            Welcome to my underwater realm!
            • Aug 2009

1/8" is pretty beefy. For short runs, you'll be fine.

Comment

• Bob Gato
              Captain
              • Feb 2019

coryhenery, Do you have a personal source for aluminum rods at a cheap price? It was wisely suggested not to use them in wide contact with other metals but it sounds like you are planning to use them for control plane posts- I hope that you will be using plastic of some sort for stuffing tubes or bearings and now in another thread you are inquiring on running wet outrunners in salt water. So to recap, you are planning on using the aluminum rods in saltwater? You might want to listen to the advice given and go with stainless.

Comment

• Subculture
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

Outrunners tend to be a blend of aluminium, iron, stainless steel and copper. I'd consider running a sacrificial anode of a less noble metal if running in salt water.

Comment

• coryhenry
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Jul 2020

I just had the aluminum available, but it sounds like brass is best so I will go pick some up.

Comment

• Bob Gato
                    Captain
                    • Feb 2019

Stainless Steel is lighter than Brass-unless of course, you like the smell of WD-40 in the morning and that pretty green patina that brass gets in a salty environment

Comment

Working...