X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coryhenry
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jul 2020

1/96 Kilo Turn Radius

I have the Kilo in the water and balanced, everything seems to be good but when I apply power the beast will barely turn. I have full throw at about 45 degrees but barely get any turning, slow or fast. I would say the turn radius is 30ft. Is this normal for this sub and do I need to add some extensions to the rudder?
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by coryhenry
    I have the Kilo in the water and balanced, everything seems to be good but when I apply power the beast will barely turn. I have full throw at about 45 degrees but barely get any turning, slow or fast. I would say the turn radius is 30ft. Is this normal for this sub and do I need to add some extensions to the rudder?
    What's your turning radius UNDER water?

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      Welcome to my underwater realm!
      • Aug 2009

That little beastie should turn faster than that, and with only the lower rudder in the Kilo's design, turning should be roughly equivalent surfaced or submerged. You won't be able to add a ton of extra rudder as the prop is directly behind, but you might be able to add a bit...

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by SubHuman
        That little beastie should turn faster than that, and with only the lower rudder in the Kilo's design, turning should be roughly equivalent surfaced or submerged. You won't be able to add a ton of extra rudder as the prop is directly behind, but you might be able to add a bit...
        No. That sail is ahead of the c.g. When submerged it destabilizes the boat about the yaw axis -- it tightens the turn underwater. Trust me. This is the case with both the 1/144 and 1/96 KILO's I'm operating.

Even with a tow (the camera), which acts to over-stabilize the boat in yaw, the boat exhibited a turning radius of ten-feet or tighter. No rudder extension required.

So there!

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• coryhenry
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Jul 2020

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

What's your turning radius UNDER water?

David
          So far no underwater just surface trim. That should be in the next couple of days.

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

Since the prop is behind the rudder, speed is your friend. In a small pool, it might be like playing chicken with the walls, so once you have some open water and can use speed, it will probably be better in turns. If the rudder was behind the prop it would be a different story. When you trim it, the more weight you can keep in the center the better for turning.
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by coryhenry

So far no underwater just surface trim. That should be in the next couple of days.
              Yeah!... what Trout just said.
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• coryhenry
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Jul 2020

That all makes sense, it seems I just get up to speed and get steerage and its full reverse :)

Comment

• biggsgolf
                  Captain
                  • Jan 2020

Could 45 Degrees be too much? Can actually be counter productive above 35 degrees. My Kilo had same issues, yes, speed is needed. I get a turn radius of about 18’.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by biggsgolf
                    Could 45 Degrees be too much? Can actually be counter productive above 35 degrees. My Kilo had same issues, yes, speed is needed. I get a turn radius of about 18’.
                    That's nearly a 40-foot circle. You sure?

Anything over 35-degrees and it's a drag-break.

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• biggsgolf
                      Captain
                      • Jan 2020

Idk, I can turn it in my 22’ wide pool with 2’ to spare each side

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by biggsgolf
                        Idk, I can turn it in my 22’ wide pool with 2’ to spare each side
                        OK. Now we're cooking with gas. That's a 18-foot circle; a 9-foot radius. Good enough!

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• biggsgolf
                          Captain
                          • Jan 2020

My lack of geometrics shows

Comment

Working...