X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by rwtdiver
    David,

I have done tons of soldering when I was building shortwave radios! I have never heard of Resistive Soldering or that such a machine even existed! This is old tech knowledge i am assuming!? Is it specific to certain metals?

Nice work on that railing.

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"
    It's just another method of getting the heat to the point of union. Its virtue is that the heat is localized to only the area of slight gap between the two (or more) parts being joined. The mechanism is simple: electrical current bridging a loose connection will encounter resistance, and this results in heat at that union. If the union had been prepared with a coating of flux and a small amount of hard solder that heat will melt the solder and it will instantly bridge the gap between the parts. At the same time the current flow at the union encounters much less resistance and the heat dissipates.

You don't see this machine used much in electronics because the induced current can easily clobber electronic components -- it's devastating to semi-conductors. Dip and iron soldering remain the preferred method when soldering electronic devices.

I used the technique on this model as the easily melted resin of the sail was used as the jig that positioned the rail and rail studs as the parts were soldered. An electrode on a stud and an electrode on the rail completed the circuit. A foot kill-switch assured quick and assured control of current.

Other applications of resistive soldering:

:Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0135.JPG Views:	0 Size:	57.3 KB ID:	146436Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0397.JPG Views:	0 Size:	59.3 KB ID:	146437Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0398.JPG Views:	0 Size:	48.3 KB ID:	146438Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0381.JPG Views:	0 Size:	55.9 KB ID:	146439Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1008.JPG Views:	0 Size:	37.8 KB ID:	146440

David
    Attached Files
    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 01-06-2021, 07:32 AM.
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

Thank for the explanation David! I see how it would certainly transfer the heat more evenly to both parts to be joined, especially with smaller slightly beveled tips! Ounce again your craftmanship has come to the forefront!

Rob
      "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

Working...