Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteveNeill
    Commander
    • Apr 2020

Further work on the 214 yesterday. This is a finish this boat week. I'm getting all my customer jobs done this week and for the first time in months will have a breather. He says knowingly. But if I do I have a nice Mahogany Star Class sailboat showing up Monday I can't wait to sink my teeth into.

I got the lights installed but I'm a bit baffled as to where the second supplied cool white bulb gets placed. The lens covers I made from PTEG I wasn't satisfied with so I'm going to re-due them with a better plan.

Most of the day was spent making those bow planes from the waste molds I made the day before which worked perfectly. I just used an blade to slice the mold open on one side and removed the old one, place the shaft in the slot and poured resin through the opening and got two good planes. Took awhile to preen them as the supplied planes are very rough. The rest of the appendages in the kit were fine.

They took paint well and it dried within the hour, the originals a wee later still had sticky paint. Anyway all fixed now. There is always a way to fix things.

I have left the moorings off the boat as they'll just get broken off and are retracted when the boat is at sea anyway. I'm half tempted to drop the splash shield down too as the boats just look cleaner and meaner without them. They too are retracted under sea.

Attached Files

Comment

• SteveNeill
      Commander
      • Apr 2020

BTW I found this picture of the boat that demonstrates a few things. The retracted moorings and the all black array of antennas and scopes. I ordered today some scenic designs rub on dry transfers the right font and scale. I'll just put a coat of clear over them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	S121-Pipinos-02 (1).jpg
Views:	314
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	141514

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

I see a blue in the sail. Cannot be sure if it is reflection of the sea around it or not. The hull, scopes and rudder are not picking up the water color, so it might not be. Very cool subject and you have done this sub justice!
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• ffr2608
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Oct 2009

Nice work Steve! Been off the forums lately... You are fast!!!!!!

Darrin

Comment

• SteveNeill
            Commander
            • Apr 2020

My effort yesterday was to make those pesky NAV light covers again. I tried everything before I arrived at the plan I ended up using. I later looked at the kits makers build and saw he did the exact same thing so it wasn't something original. But it did work.

If I had made this kit I would had made a recess for the covers and a vacuumed formed clear part. It would have fit the recess and all one would have to do is paint an outer black edge to the frame and you'd be done. But cutting a whole in the uneven rather thick hull or sail didn't allow much for that.

In trying to drill a whole for the 4th NAV light in the sail nothing would do that the gel coat crumbled away. I drilled a small hole first to start as I always do but the polyester had an air pocket in the mix and it just disintegrated. So I placed the light, cut some aluminium tubing around it and blended it back with Apoxie Sculpt. Today it should be set up so I can sand it to shape and paint it black.

Anyway that took all day. It's the little things that count the most on a build. At this point today I should be able to do a final preen. Once the deals arrive it's finished.

Next week is test the cylinder week and put in the remote on-off and it's off to the pool for trimming next weekend.

Attached Files

Comment

• SteveNeill
              Commander
              • Apr 2020

Well the hull is done. I spent the last two days working on it alone. I got in all the duck decoy weights nice and clean with Propoxy. About 4 pounds of ballast. I added a lot of flotation foam below the water line to keel the boat. It maybe too much but when I test her at the pool it will be easier to remove it than add it. I have this gut feeling she's going to be just about right.

I drilled a hole in the end cap and installed the connector with some clear marine silicone. This is the hook up for our lights.

I remade the splash guard the first on wasn't correct. The two lighting fixtures for the NAV lights were removed and repainted, cleaned of hot glue and re attached with epoxy, If the lights themselves ever need to be replaced the LEDs are the only thing hot glued in now and can easily be removed and replaced.

The masts, antennas and scopes had that leaky resin problem like the bow planes. Annoying as hell but I found that Testors flat black through a airbrush sealed it. Go figure. I didn't want to remold those two.

Today I'm installing the remote on-off. As it turns out, yes it does fit rather well with the case removed!

Lastly I'm going to pressure test the cylinder and it all is secure she's ready to run in the pool soon. And yes. She is done today.

Attached Files

Comment

• SteveNeill
                Commander
                • Apr 2020

Rob thank you so much. This video shows it all working. Thanks to Bob Martin for all the help, time, and telephone conversions !!

Comment

• a1965l
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Apr 2020

"Sorry, because of its privacy settings, this video cannot be played here"

Just wanted to let you know...
                  "It does not take so many words to speak the truth" Chief Joseph

Comment

• SteveNeill
                    Commander
                    • Apr 2020

I spent the better part of yesterday testing the new modular subdriver cylinder. I filled up the studio test tank and got her wet. No leaks but I did need some slight adjustment to the ballast tank valve but that was it. It performed very well and I love the simple operation with the snort. This is not SAS. It will be neutral trimmed so if you want to go up use your dive planes and when you the sail above the water line you can fully surface. This keeps thing leak free and reliable even if your not using the fail safe.

We are off to a good start. Today I head for Ojai. Beautiful town in the hills with a nice pool I have access too. It's privately owned by a doctor friend of mine so no virus worries. I don't go anywhere public these days that isn't outdoors where I can stay far way from people. After having Covid once I don't want it again. It was a real *****. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-6300.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	141824

Comment

• SteveNeill
                      Commander
                      • Apr 2020

Thanks Rob here's a teaser.

Long day in the pool

I guess you noticed there was no video today and this is why. I needed to finish this. I will post video and send the news letter out tomorrow.

It was very successful although it took hours to get here trim like you see here. She runs dead level and responsive to the dive planes. Shes dead level off the controls and I didn't use the auto leveler because it kept glitching on me on dry land. It would have been worse in the pool as it was I was losing signal off and on because of the chemicals.

These are video frame grabs from the GoPro. This will hold you over until tomorrow I'm exhausted from being in the heat and sun all day. But it was a great day!

Click image for larger version

Name:	under water.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	141896Click image for larger version

Name:	under water 3.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	141897
                      Last edited by SteveNeill; 07-19-2020, 09:52 PM.

Comment

• SteveNeill
                        Commander
                        • Apr 2020

Video from yesterdays trials.

Comment

• gantu
                          Commander
                          • Apr 2009

Hello steve,
                          super job what kind glue you used for the pe deck?
                          gantu
                          Regards Gantu

Comment

Working...