Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ben1272
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • May 2020

If anyone here is looking to make their own version of this submarine, Thingiverse.com has a free file for printing a model of the car it is based off of (the S1). Most of the 3d printer slicer applications these days have tools to hollow and divide models into multiple pieces, as well as scaling the file. Obviously there is work to do to create all the other fun stuff (wheel dive planes?) but this model will get you the shape of the car, which at least for me would be the hardest part to get right!

Comment

• ffr2608
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Oct 2009

The new material had some stringing in the center of the lower hull. Told me there could be some structural issues down the line. With the flat nature of the shape, I decided to play it safe. I have had great luck with boat shaped hulls though...This was my most recent build...
      Attached Files

Comment

• ben1272
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • May 2020

What material do you prefer to use? Also, what printer?

Comment

• ffr2608
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Oct 2009

Duramic pla plus and SEM flexible surface primer sprayed from a gun. Normally use the lacquer based but have not tried on prints yet.

Comment

• Subculture
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

I use cellulose primers on PlA, works just fine. No reaction with the plastic.

Comment

• ben1272
              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
              • May 2020

Has there been any progress on the 007 sub?

Comment

• ffr2608
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Oct 2009

Curing in the mold so I am working on the SDV for now. It is 2nd on the build list because I am still trying to figure out the drive system. 2 or 4 motors...

DH

Comment

Working...