X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ffr2608
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Oct 2009

007 Lotus Submarine. 3D printed 1:10 scale

After a long break, I decided to build a boat I have been wanting for years. Scale will be 1:10 so plenty big for a simple dynamic diver. With all of my recent builds, I have been cleaning out the parts drawers and using up “old stock”. No plans on anything spendy this time. Several hours of CAD to get the old file ready for print. Split will be along the black horizontal molding so unlimited access to linkages and gear.
    more to come...

DH
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ffr2608; 08-06-2020, 11:10 AM.
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Very nice rendering! Look forward to you completing this!
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Slats
      Vice Admiral
      • Aug 2008

Brilliant - this will be a great project.
      John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
      Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• vital.spark
        Commander
        • May 2010

I owned a Lotus Europa back in the 70's and still belong to the Hong Kong Lotus owners group here. From time to time the subject and video show up on our facebook page. I'd bet that there are Lotus owners past and present who would love one of these!!

Comment

• Slats
          Vice Admiral
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by vital.spark
          I owned a Lotus Europa back in the 70's and still belong to the Hong Kong Lotus owners group here. From time to time the subject and video show up on our facebook page. I'd bet that there are Lotus owners past and present who would love one of these!!
          Yep I'm one of them - this is my Elise 220 pre delivery in the factory at Hethel. Would love a RC sub kit of the Wet Nellie Espirt.
          Attached Files
          John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
          Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Bob Gato
            Captain
            • Feb 2019

Let's see...When you designed and printed that Viking 37-you went from CAD to cast net in 17 days! This should take you, what?, till next week! ...I am so looking forward to this-BG.

Comment

• ffr2608
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Oct 2009

Bob,
              Not much to do lately so the boats are flying out of the shop. There is quite a bit more thinking on the Lotus. I need to consider hatch hold downs, the pressure box (no WTC this time) and the whole rear end. 4 props, 4 rudders, 2 props, independent control, etc....The printer is open so I would like to start this week.

DH

Comment

• Bob Gato
                Captain
                • Feb 2019

I know Darrin, pretty much uncharted territory- I'll bet you feel a little like "Q"

Comment

• ffr2608
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Oct 2009

Glamour shots are done as I am moving towards printing. Bosses for hull joining and electronics box planning. Using an end cap at the front for battery access and a siliconed lid for repair work. OLD SKOOL And better suited for this flat model. The recesses on the exterior are for fiberglass cloth to strengthen the seam. I have built MANY 3D printed models for the automotive industry and the seams can come back. This was always my trick and after bondo work, the vehicle highlights will be perfect. Rear propulsion area features a scoop out to improve reverse flow. Probably only going with 2 motors this time.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• ffr2608
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Oct 2009

Printing progress. Forward sections came out OK but I am considering taking a quick plaster mold after finishing to have a glass boat. Will decide after I see how everything feels.

Looks like a ton of sanding but I have the tools and grit selection for a very fast block out. Been doing this junk for years at work.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by ffr2608; 05-02-2020, 05:20 PM.

Comment

• ffr2608
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Oct 2009

Work on the drive stuff. Built the props off of my jet drive boat models. These have been working very well for me at all speed ranges. These are about 3/4" in diameter.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• ffr2608
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Oct 2009

Masters for the molds are almost done..... moving forward with a glass boat and will do the plastic one as static display....
                        Attached Files

Comment

• SteveNeill
                          Commander
                          • Apr 2020

Darrin that looks great. You so tempt me to get a printer.

Comment

• ffr2608
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Oct 2009

Sent you some info Steve. All I can say is it brought me out of a modeling drought and I am pumping out all types of unique models. Very happy for that and like a new challenge. BTW, I run a prototype lab with several printers. Just never had one in the garage. That makes a big difference. Here is the Lotus. I had some print issues running a new material so I am prepping it for molding later this week.

I realize to some this may seem like cheating but I have built TONS of boats BY HAND over the last 25 years or so. This is helping me tackle some of the more complex models and has really renewed some excitement on my end. I'm already planning 2 more midget sub builds soon.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by ffr2608; 05-04-2020, 02:50 PM.

Comment

• a1965l
                              Lieutenant Commander
                              • Apr 2020

I don't know if I'd even consider calling 3d modeling cheating.. I have done some modeling, but nowhere near the level you're at. It's not just push button get shape.. there's a lot of thinking and knowledge that goes into making a complex computer model of an object. I would much rather draw something on a napkin that try to draw it in autodesk....
                              "It does not take so many words to speak the truth" Chief Joseph

Comment

Working...