• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by MFR1964
    Thanks Ken,

This was done last summer, this winter did some minor things on the boat, the rebuild of my house starts soon, so i don't think i can spent time inside the Cave, it has become a storage for all the stuff i had to remove downstairs.
    At the end of May i hope to start up with building up the Cave inside the new cellar, the positive side is, my Cave will 4 times that big, finally i can give all the tools on the attic a permanent place on the workbench.

Manfred.
    wow! Then the fun will begin and there will be (mostly) nothing to stop you!
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• MFR1964
      Detail Nut of the First Order
      • Sep 2010

So, it's type XVII time, finished up the airsystem and did some testing to ensure it is holding up the airpressure.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220119_195653.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.2 KB ID:	158597

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220119_195658.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.7 KB ID:	158598

This i've shown before, there will be a signalside and a powerside in my boat, this will create less interference between all components, it will take some time before i've got this working.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220119_212916.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.2 KB ID:	158599

12 V compressor is mounted and connected, to the left you can see the red airtank underneath.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220119_212924.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.5 KB ID:	158600

Valves are in and connected, left it simple because room is a problem, just one valve for raising, and one valve for fine-tuning the dive, pretty much the same as in the Type VII.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220119_212928.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.5 KB ID:	158601

Made a connection to the ballasttank to blow the air in to surface.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220119_212954.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.4 KB ID:	158602

This is a selectorswitch for both the scope and schnorkelmast, to keep things simple i decided to steer them together.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220119_213017.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.3 KB ID:	158603

Those are the lines for raising and lowering the scope and schnorkelmast, placed restrictors to handle the up and down movement, they have to raise normal and not like a rocket.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220119_213031.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.5 KB ID:	158604

This i have done last summer, placed the contraption on the deck,did this to test if the boat was watertight, from left to right, float for managing the pressure, compressor and levelkeeper , next the float that will control the main valve of the ballasttank, scope, and schnorkelmast, the exhaust is functionable, that silicon hose is connected to the small dive valve,which allows me to trim the boat while submerged.
      Still has to finish up the scope and schnorkel, have to solder down some connections, did some pressure-tests, had some connectionsleaks, repared those and did some duration tests to see if the pressure will hold, main airtank has a pressure of 5 Atm, working pressure is turned down to 2 Atm,

Next step is to build the electrical connections, get the cables of the servo's in and build up the boat in the rough, stay tuned.

Manfred.
      Last edited by MFR1964; 01-29-2022, 04:30 PM.
      I went underground

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
        Captain
        • Apr 2020

Happy to see you back on this build. Nice progress you are making.

BTW, I knew those Bibers were small and was impressed with the work that went into them but holy hell holding one in your hand really makes you realize how small they really are.

Click image for larger version

Name:	C0608F92-8A40-4F0C-A6F3-938F45D5E759.jpeg
Views:	253
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	158689

Nick

Comment

• MFR1964
          • Sep 2010

Nick,

Yeah, those are small gritters, just to tease some pics of my micro-fleet

Name:	20220201_172227.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	158701

Name:	20220201_172243.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	158702

Name:	20220201_172258.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	158703

They really look small, question, that Biber your holding, is that a resin example?

The XVII is coming along, busy with wires and components, l'm trying to fit things in, for sure have to alter some things, not that much room as with the type VII.

Manfred.
          Attached Files
          I went underground

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
            Captain
            • Apr 2020

Manfred,

Tease away. That is an impressive micro fleet for sure. I will never get tired at admiring the work and details that this fleet has put into it.

As for the resin Biber, it is the Verlinden 1/35 scale set. I also have the Verlinden Resin Seehund kit as well as the Bronco plastic Seehund kit.

Nick

Comment

• MFR1964
              • Sep 2010

Working on the wires which will bring the XVII to live,

Name:	20220124_203618.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	158745

Placed the cables for controlling the servo's in, placed a 40 Mhz PCM receiver, and connected them, still have to program the transmittor to my needs, that servo with the microswitches eats too much room, have to rebuild that with the help of the lathe, those switches will be used for both activating the valves for diving,surfacing and steering of the future antenna's.

Name:	20220124_203622.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	158746

All will be make-shift connections, more to see which things will work and what i have to change, at least i need to solder a new master-relais, the old one has not as much connections which i need,
              to the right you can see the water-alarm, this will be controlled by sensors allready placed inside near the keel and the inlet droplet collector used by the compressor, at the end it will steer the blow-airvalve and a buzzer to give notice of water inside the boat.

For now. i've switch her on, all channels work as intended, the plan is to work from front to rear solving all problems while i'm working on her, first i have to start up the lathe to change the servo arragement controlling the micro-switches from horizontal to vertical, if all goes well she will fitt in exactly.

Manfred.
              I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                • Sep 2010

Servo steering is done, first compartment is done, pictures

Name:	20220129_102153.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	158941

Started up the lathe and modified the servo steering, stacked all switches and made a contraption to hold them at their place, those stacked switches will control both valves and steering of the antenna.

Name:	20220129_102210.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	158942

Had to remove the watercatcher first to create me some room to insert the servo, this watercatcher is placed to catch any water which will enter the inletfloat of the compressor, it has a sensor inside to give me a warning if i catch too many water.

Name:	20220129_102227.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	158943

It slits in like this, just enough room to get it at it's place, holding it down with 2 sided tape.

Name:	20220129_105825.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	158944

Builded back all components in reverse order, connectors not yet made.

Name:	20220129_152550.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	158945

For now it's looking like this, all cables are still loose, first do some testing before i tie them down.
                From left to right, 2 servo's which control the torpedodoors, that print together with a not visible masterswitch controls the opening and closing of the torpedodoors and firing of the torpedo's, a linear servo for controlling that strange wing on top of the deck, watercatcher, modified servo with switches, compressor and a still loose E motor for driving the antenna-lift,.

Name:	20220130_154156.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	158946

All components to build me the antenna arragement, antenna cable is soldered outside the boat and sealed with some 2 K epoxy-glue, remember a wire is a conduit, it will transport water, by interrupting it with a stud-connection or like i did you will stop this.

Name:	20220130_161149.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	158947

The antenna-wire is routed by using those plastick tubes, placing her this way it will give you the maximum receiving, allways use plastick tubing, brass or copper will shield the antenna.

Next compartment is on the list, together with completing the scope and schnorkelmast, stay tuned.

Manfred.
                I went underground

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                  Captain
                  • Apr 2020

The forward space filled up very quickly. Every component has a place and the space was used efficiently. Nice work reducing the size of the servo switch assembly too. Looking really good!

Comment

• MFR1964
                    • Sep 2010

Nick,

There is not that much room as inside the type VII, i also jammed in the airtank and compressorsystem, this eats space, having no compressor is a option but if i can cram it inside it will be done.
                    Running with compressor makes live easier, me like complex things.
                    It's all about the journey of building and designing.

Manfred.
                    I went underground

Comment

• redboat219
                      Admiral
                      • Dec 2008

Manfred
                      would it be possible to put a similar system into the Bronco Type XXIII?
                      Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• MFR1964
                        • Sep 2010

Romel,

A similar system would not be possible, but the way i build the type XXIII uses the SD as a airtank for the SAS and those neat little LPB's do the trick for both raising the boat and scope/schnorkelmast.
                        So in a way i've created the same, but on a much smaller scale, not with the same components i use at the type XVIi.

Manfred.
                        I went underground

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                          Captain
                          • Apr 2020

Originally posted by MFR1964
                          Nick,

Running with compressor makes live easier, me like complex things.
                          It's all about the journey of building and designing.

Manfred.
                          Manfred,

Yes, not a lot of room to fit all that gear but you did it! Much less room when you see your type VII in the background for comparison.

I like your builds because you also enjoy the complex and you are absolutely correct that “It's all about the journey of building and designing.”

Nick

Comment

• MFR1964
                            • Sep 2010

Switches are places, more wires and i ran into a problem,

Name:	20220129_152553.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	159208

Both switches are placed, for now they function without the rubber watertight boots, left switch is the masterswitch to turn the boat on, and the right is used for the compressor, it has three positions, towards the A means automatic, middle position is neutral and towards the H means controlled by hand.

Name:	20220129_152558.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	159203

Name:	20220131_172050.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	159204

This nest of wires is still growing, have to add even more, the print is used for steering the main valve, controlling the levelkeeper, shutdown of the compressor going underwater and controlling the steering of the future antenna.

Name:	20220207_192103.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	159205

Now my problem, that strange wing on front has to be functional, now i have this as maximal output steering it, the servo is set at 120% at both directions, still not enough.

Name:	20220207_192221.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	159206

Turned to mechanics, used a small flywheel and a big one, marked the positions and connected them by using a O-ring, this is the neutral position.

Name:	20220207_192229.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	159207

Turned the big fly-wheel about 1 cm, this gave me halve a turn at the small fly-wheel, now this looks promising i'm going to build this in copper and printboard to give me a actual testbed, i have this weekend to sort those things out, stay tuned.

Manfred.

Attached Files
                            I went underground

Comment

• Das Boot
                              Rear Admiral
                              • Dec 2019

Manfred,
                              it’s impressive how you turn a mass of wires, a sows ear, into a silk purse. Very nice.
                              Casey
                              Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• MFR1964
                                • Sep 2010

Thanks Casey,

First compartment was a breeze compared to the second compartment, first i have still to add more wires, i will rebuild the steering-print with connectors only to eliminate the attached wires and adding LED's, every electrical component in the boat has his own LED to show if it's under power, it will decrease searching for problems, either it will be power or mechanical.
                                But first solve the issue with the wing.

Manfred.
                                I went underground

Comment

Working...