Originally posted by a1965l
      Super. Around 1400, then. Will call when I'm on my way
      perfect......
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• a1965l
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Apr 2020

Some small progress this morning between other tasks.. yes, it's a MSD, but the sharp eyed among you may note that the ballast tank is wet. On the inside.. yes, it's officially a submarine. No observed leaks while I pressurized and moved servos/motor, and the flood/blow worked like a champ. The foward dry space (let's call it the battery compartment) held way to much buoyance to sink, so it really didn't exactaly submerge all the way, but that's not surprising, given how light Lipo batteries are. Will have to take that into account when I ballast the boat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D7K_6259-X3.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	139123

Met with David yesterday, and the hull got an ass-lift. Well, more of an ass-sculpt. The prop hub didn't match the hull, so with a few deft applications of the screeding tool and bondo, we wind up with an exact match.. and some filling/sanding to do. Hopefully get on that today while the weather is nice before it gets hot later on. Starting to look like something now...

Name:	D7K_6260-X3.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	139124

Nothing else takes me back to high school like the smell of bondo. Ah, the magical things it can do...

Name:	D7K_6261-X3.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	139125

Name:	D7K_6262-X3.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	139126
        "It does not take so many words to speak the truth" Chief Joseph

Comment

• a1965l
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Apr 2020

So. Before I go out and wrestle with a non-conformist finish mower, let's do some work on the boat. I've groused and groused and whined and complained, time to pick up the saw and get to work. Let's cut a chunk out of the hull to get better access to the linkages. I took a few minutes and miked a couple of different cutting tools. Turns out my Zona saw and X-acto fine blades produce the narrowest cut.. so they are the tools of choice. First step is to mark off cut lines and ensure that they look straight:

Name:	D7K_6264-X3.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	139266

I realize it's really dark.. that's a tough exposure, even for a good camera. It took a few lifts and replacments until the lines looked straight.. yeah, I eyeballed it. The join line is going to be below the waterline anyway, so once it's in the water nobody will notice. So it's time.....

Name:	D7K_6265-X3.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	139267

I had to do some acrobatics while cutting, and I finished the cuts with the exacto saw mounted in my handle. When all was said and done:

Name:	D7K_6267-X3.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	139268

Name:	D7K_6268-X3.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	139269
          Lots of room now... Yeah, I know, 1/72, plenty of room to start with. Good thing I have a big van. Next step is to join the two cut pieces together. I thought on this for a while, as the hatch has guide pieces that would keep it from sitting flat on the table. My first thought was to do it on the boat with the pieces taped to the hull. That seemed to work fine, until I picked it up... didn't wait quite long enough for the thick CA to cure. Well hell. Let's try it again. This time, more powder and some accelerator. Success!

Name:	D7K_6269-X3.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	139270

Fairly tight joint, ran another bead of thick along it. Then.. a piece of glass over the top just to be sure, as it's going to need some serious filling.

Name:	D7K_6270-X3.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	139271
          Of course I didn't take a picture of teh glass. Well, we've all seen glass work before... nothing special necessary. I ran a piece around the inside, and then ran 2 pieces fwd and aft along the edges, just for some extra reinforcement.

Since I have so much room now, let's fit the WTC. I measured to find the geometric center of the hull (fwd and aft) and placed the WTC so the ballast chamber was directly over it. The support directly forward of the ballast chamber is going to be the thrust support, so it will be tight up on the bulkhead. The other 3 supports are, well, just supports. Actually, I'm being overly cautions here, all thrust from the prop is going to be taken by the stern tube and oillite bearings, not like we're gonna be pushing any barges here.

Name:	D7K_6272-X3.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	139272

Name:	D7K_6273-X3.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	139273

Name:	D7K_6274-X3.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	139274

So question time. When I tested the WTC in the tub, it would not submerge completly on its own. The battery compartment held enough buoyancy to hold the front of the cylinder out of the water. No real surprise there. Is this going to create a real issue when it comes to trimming? Obviously I'm going to need to hold the front of the cylinder down in the boat, but I think a velcro strap will take care of that, or perhaps I can do it with flotation foam if necessary.

WRT the location of the cylinder in the boat. I'm about dead center in the hull. is there an advantage to having the WTC located lower or higher? I believe the instructions state to place the cylinder as low as possible in the hull, but having it centered simplifies design of the supports, as well as providing ample room for fixed ballast, and centers the prop shaft.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

The buoyancy of the MSD itself does not make a tinkers damn to anything. It's when it's integrated with the boat that buoyancy is an issue. You trim the MSD as an element of the submarine. You don't trim the MSD itself.

YOU PEOPLE!!!

And there are no filleted unions on an LA between stabilizers and hull. File that Bondo induced radius to a near right angle.

I buy you books, I send you to school, and what do you do???... you eat the ****ing teacher!

David

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• a1965l
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Apr 2020

We had that conversation.. I don't think the fillets are bondo, I think they may be molded into the hull. Haven't gotten down there with a file yet to check. I base that on the fact that when the fin broke off the hull, it left a raised boss behind that wasn't resin. Either way, I'll do something with it, at some point.

I guess my boat can't be the USS Norfolk... no VLS tubes.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                • Aug 2008

We had that conversation.. I don't think the fillets are bondo, I think they may be molded into the hull. Haven't gotten down there with a file yet to check. I base that on the fact that when the fin broke off the hull, it left a raised boss behind that wasn't resin. Either way, I'll do something with it, at some point.

I guess my boat can't be the USS Norfolk... no VLS tubes.
                Scale fidelity should be at the bottom of the list at this point. Get the beast operational first, only then find a prototype that will fit the look (with minimal alterations to the model). Only then paint, mark, and weather the thing.

It's a Flight-1, start with that. Hell, make it the LOS ANGELES itself! (post towed array upgrade).

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• a1965l
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Apr 2020

Bondo and filler time! The mower was less of an ordeal than I thought. Amazing how much easier old fasteners come off with air tools. Anyhoo... after some bondo, and some glazing putty, and finally some primer...

Name:	D7K_6280-X3.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	139288

Name:	D7K_6281-X3.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	139289

Name:	D7K_6283-X3.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	139290

Not a terrible cut line, or awful kerf. Will address that down the road. I thought there was a thread here on filling the kerf, but cant' find it, and the link clicked on took me to the home page. I guess I'm ready to install planes and make linkages... then it's into the tub (if it fits!) and start with the trimming.

Comment

• a1965l
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Apr 2020

Let's get some surfaces connected. Due to a lack of foresight, I attached one of my magnet halves to the pushrod coming out of the cylinder. Not a terrible gaffe, or so I thought, but it does create a few issues. So, some linkage to the fairwater planes:

Name:	D7K_6288-X3.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	139471

Allowing for some minor adjustability.... and then installed.

Name:	D7K_6286-X3.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	139472

No lack of room in that hull huh. Looks like a decent straight setup, dosen't it? Well... disconnecting the magnetic coupler is a pita. No idea if I'm going to have to put some floatation foam in there... if so, then there's gonna be no room. Also, a small issue with the servo horn.. it cracked at the outer hole. I put a little too much force on it pulling the magnets apart. Luckily, I have a large assortment of servo horns, and I'll source something similar and make a more solid horn. Minor inconveniences.

On the success front, made a locater pin and block.... ez peezey japaneesey.... sorry that's non politically correct. But it was in a movie...

Name:	D7K_6290-X3.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	139473

Comment

• a1965l
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Apr 2020

Now, we need some connections to the back end. I'm wondering if the 1/8" rods are sufficiently stiff for the length... I did add a section of larger tubing in for adjustment, if necessary... the horns are very close in the tail, had to set the rudder yoke low in the hull to clear. Full range of motion on both wiht no interference issues, other than at the ends of travel as expected.

Name:	D7K_6291-X3.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	139498

Name:	D7K_6292-X3.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	139499

Name:	D7K_6293-X3.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	139500

Comment

• a1965l
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Apr 2020

And... it's ready to get wet. Except.. the beast is longer than my tub. ******.

Comment

• a1965l
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • Apr 2020

Not much time these last couple days.. but I did come up with a solution to a problem that bothered me. The sail.. it wasn't quite rock solid when screwed down, didn't help that there was no real base for it. So, I drew up some internal supports and printed them... nice and solid now. Not that I'm really worried about hydrodynamic forces, etc etc.. I'm more concerned about hangar rash. I also got the rudders connected to the cylinder.. not much throw there! This beast is not gonna be quick turning... hopefully it backs quickly. Anyhoo. pictures...

Name:	D7K_6296-X2.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	139888

Name:	D7K_6297-X2.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	139889

Name:	D7K_6299-X2.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	139890

Comment

• trout
                            Admiral
                            • Jul 2011

I love the creativity on making a stable sail, well done. I would make some modification to it., mainly air passage. You made a dam for air travel as your boat is diving. The air will collect and sit there with nowhere to go. Either have an escape out the top of the hull or into the sail (it might be there already and I just missed it) Or make some passage through your stabilizer. Anyways my < $.02 suggestion.

Looking over your build, looks like there is escape routes for air. Excellent solution sir!
                            Last edited by trout; 05-27-2020, 09:19 AM.
                            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• a1965l
                              Lieutenant Commander
                              • Apr 2020

Thanks for the kind words... but you're correct, an air bubble could collect there.... I have an idea for a solution.

Comment

• trout
                                Admiral
                                • Jul 2011

Thanks for the kind words... but you're correct, an air bubble could collect there.... I have an idea for a solution.
                                I, for some reason, knew you would.
                                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...