X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • a1965l
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Apr 2020

1/72 688 class

Hello again. Recently struck up a deal and wound up with 2 subs, a SS type IX and the above mentioned 688. I also got a WTC, set up for twin shaft intended for the IX but since the 688 is closer to being ready, I think we'll start with that.

Sadly, there was some damage in shipping. One of the stern planes got knocked off, and the shaft bent. I'm not certain that the Yoke isn't bent as well, but I don't see any way to remove it from the boat and look at it up close.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D7K_6132-X2.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	138015

That's one big boat. Lots of room in there for fat hands and such. You'll have to pardon the state of my "workroom" we're still in the process of moving stuff into the house and getting set up. Eventually, I'll have a garage out back with a proper workbench and shop, but that's at least 6 months away at this point.

Name:	D7K_6129-X2.jpg
Views:	757
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	138013

Nice clean break.

Name:	D7K_6133-X2.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	138014

I played with it yesterday for a while, but couldn't get the angle on the shaft just right. The fixed portion of the plane still has movement when you move the flap, so it needs more tweaking.

There are a few things I need to figure out. I have a Dumas Akula that's set up as a static diver. It's sail is large enough to hold the float and flapper valve for the snorkel. The 688's sail is way to narrow, plus the mechanism for the fairwater planes is in there. I'm thinking about making one of the actual masts into the snorkel, but can't come up with a way to put a gooseneck right at the end and hide it. Otherwise I'm gonna get a slug of water into the air system and really, I'd rather not do that. I see there is an alternative setup, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Name:	D7K_6135-X2.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	138016

WTC fits nicely. No issues at all there. So, let's make some saddles. I do have a 3d printer and knowledge of autodesk so...

Name:	D7K_6127-X2.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	138018

Name:	D7K_6130-X2.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	138017

So close. Well, back to inventor for some modifications... thats' just the first couple of layers, done that way for a template. The actual saddle will be about 3/8 inch wide. AS for saddles, how many do I really need? Do I need to support the cylinder front and back and in the middle? I was thinking 2, positioned fore and aft of the ballast tank, and tight to it to keep the cylinder in place would be enough. Oh, and I need to relieve those supports to allow water to flow through, given that there are no flood vents right under the ballast tank..

And for down the road....

Name:	D7K_6136-X2.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	138019
    "It does not take so many words to speak the truth" Chief Joseph
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Make that sail removable -- machine screws running up from within the hull and into the base of the sail. With that MSD you received a vertical type snorkel -- you can shave the sides of that float to clear the inside of the sail.

I would recommend you reconfigure the hull break to be more like this:

Name:	DSCN0064 (2).JPG
Views:	707
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	138021Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0142.JPG
Views:	657
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	138022Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0146.JPG
Views:	648
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	138023

This will give you easy access to the stern yokes, propeller shaft, MSD, and sail linkage. This is the classic Z-break: radial break at the bottom bow, a radial break at the upper stern. Only one fastener required.

Don't sweat the current 'shop'. Any port in a storm, pal!

Four saddles: two for the 2.5" forward dry space, and two for the after dry space. Would it kill you to actually cut out those saddles with your own two hands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David
    The Horrible
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      Welcome to my underwater realm!
      • Aug 2009

Our new cylinders will have more than enough OOmph to push that boat along, and there is ample room for up to 6A of LiPo's, but I'm worried about your ballast tank. That's a big boat, and Tim has that 3" tank cut at what looks to be something in the neighborhood of 8 or 9". For something of that size, I'd have recommended the 3.75" diameter tank with about 8" of length. You may find you'll be shy on freeboard, but the ability to swap the cylinder between boats may offset that in your mind.

Comment

• a1965l
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Apr 2020

He bought the cylinder to fit the IX, and given that I have to mod the cylinder for the 688, I think swapping probablly wouldn't happen. I suppose this would be as good a place as any to debate the pros and cons of getting a overall larger cylinder. I like room... that's why I stayed an airdale. If I went with a larger diameter motor and batt cylinder and then a larger ballast tank, true, it would be limited to just that boat, but I don't see that as a huge downside. It's just money.. if I run out, they'll print more.

A definite yes on making the sail removable.. and what you suggested is pretty much I was thinking. The snort float is gonna have to be mighty thin to fit in there. I'll get a picture in a bit. As far as the hull cut.... that's a really beamy hull, and getting even my fat hands back aft isn't all that hard. That opinion might change once I put flotation foam in and get some supports installed for the cylinder, though.

The reason I can't pull the pitch yoke is that the movable portion of the stern planes is fixed with an outer hinge. I'd need to be able to pull the fixed portion as well, and I really don't feel like ungluing it and taking a chance on damaging the hull.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by a1965l
          He bought the cylinder to fit the IX, and given that I have to mod the cylinder for the 688, I think swapping probablly wouldn't happen. I suppose this would be as good a place as any to debate the pros and cons of getting a overall larger cylinder. I like room... that's why I stayed an airdale. If I went with a larger diameter motor and batt cylinder and then a larger ballast tank, true, it would be limited to just that boat, but I don't see that as a huge downside. It's just money.. if I run out, they'll print more.

A definite yes on making the sail removable.. and what you suggested is pretty much I was thinking. The snort float is gonna have to be mighty thin to fit in there. I'll get a picture in a bit. As far as the hull cut.... that's a really beamy hull, and getting even my fat hands back aft isn't all that hard. That opinion might change once I put flotation foam in and get some supports installed for the cylinder, though.

The reason I can't pull the pitch yoke is that the movable portion of the stern planes is fixed with an outer hinge. I'd need to be able to pull the fixed portion as well, and I really don't feel like ungluing it and taking a chance on damaging the hull.
          So, what would make you happy is a cylinder with 3" fore and aft cylinders, and a big honking 3.75 ballast cylinder in the middle? If so, you're in luck, I'm producing masters for the MB and unions for the 3" version, I should have a production unit ready for you in a few weeks. Will that work for you? Here's some shots of that work:

Name:	IMG_1957.JPG
Views:	740
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	138030Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1886.JPG
Views:	790
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	138031
          Yank out all that linkage back there. I'll fix you up with yokes that well permit easy attachment to the control surface operating shafts:

Name:	DSCF3384 - Copy.JPG
Views:	741
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	138032Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3449.JPG
Views:	745
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	138033Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7786.JPG
Views:	685
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	138035Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0091.JPG
Views:	744
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	138036

David
          Attached Files
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• a1965l
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Apr 2020

David....

I think I will take you up on that offer. (the cylinder, that is) I can stash the other cylinder away in the IX to await it's turn. Just for you, I actually cut something out by hand today. Well, hand on the sabre saw, but.. don't judge too harshly, I don't have my belt sander here yet and it does need a little lovin. Plus some cover'in

Name:	D7K_6144-X3.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	138052

Seems to fit OK... although the camera seems to have gotten a little confused about exposure...

Name:	D7K_6145-X3.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	138053

As to the yokes.. I don't know if you can tell in the top picture, but the rudder yoke is actually one of yours. Here's what I have for the stern planes:

Name:	D7K_6141-X3.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	138054

hard to tell if it's bent, would surprise me if it wasn't given the blow it must have taken to knock the palne off the sub. Either way, I'll keep playing with it and eventually I'll get it straight. I hope. Although I gotta say, your design looks sturdier.

Name:	D7K_6142-X3.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	138055

Gonna be a tight squeeze getting that snort valve into the sail...

Name:	D7K_6140-X3.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	138056

And look.. feathered cat food. I don't know who he thinks he's kidding.. those birds would flat out kill him.

Comment

• Aug 2008

OK. That's the 'horizontal' type snorkel head-valve. You need the 'vertical' type. And I'll fix you up with a pair of the largest yokes I have for the stern.

Name:	009 (5).JPG
Views:	723
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	138058

Name:	059 - Copy.JPG
Views:	705
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	138059Click image for larger version

Name:	063 (2).JPG
Views:	705
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	138060Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8710.JPG
Views:	716
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	138062Click image for larger version

Views:	729
ID:	138067Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8695.JPG
Views:	725
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	138063Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0391.JPG
Views:	702
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	138064Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0439.JPG
Views:	716
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	138065Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0286.JPG
Views:	714
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	138066Click image for larger version

Views:	690
ID:	138068

Give me your mailing address and list any other goodies I can fix you up with. dmeriman@aol.com

David
              Attached Files
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• a1965l
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Apr 2020

Probablly easier just to swing by.. I am local, after all.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Probablly easier just to swing by.. I am local, after all.
                  make it happen
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• a1965l
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Apr 2020

Excellent. I do not recall how to find you, although I've been there once before. Hows your weekend look?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Excellent. I do not recall how to find you, although I've been there once before. Hows your weekend look?
                      This weekend is fine. 835 Holly Hedge Ave., Virginia Beach, VA 23452, 757-418-0779 Call first.

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• a1965l
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Apr 2020

David, heading your way now, phone unanswered and mailbox full...

Comment

• a1965l
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • Apr 2020

I hope everything's good on David's side...

Comment

• Aug 2008

I hope everything's good on David's side...
                            I was here all day, in the shop or napping.

David
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• a1965l
                              Lieutenant Commander
                              • Apr 2020

I must have the worst timing with phone calls... will have to try again. Land chores to do today, but possibly not all day. But that depends on what does or dosen't break while working...

Comment

Working...