X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

USS KEY WEST SSN-722 Build Log 2020-02-02: PROPULSION

All great journeys start with a single step.........

With PROTEUS on hold waiting on supplies, and other projects in the cue waiting on better weather for painting outside, I decided to get a start on KEY WEST.

For those of you who may not know, this particular hull is per-owned, and was purchased from our very own Nautilus Drydocks. (Shameless plug...great source for your Submarine $#*!)

I do have a very old Scale Shipyard 1:48 Hull (came in 3 sections, bow, center, tail) that has had all the scribing done, but may pass on, or have buried with me. As this "new" boat is a lot closer to the finish line, the cost of purchasing vs my time (I have a value on my spare time in $$) spent in getting the SS hull to this point made the purchase a no brainer.

The ND hull was configured as a 688(I) less Towed Array appendages or scribe lines for the VLS and Torpedo Tube outer doors.

I'm converting her to one of the eight Flight 2 boat's, the aforementioned SSN-722. So I'll need to scribe in the 12 VLS & Torpedo doors. Plans is to make the last row, outer two, VLS operational (Tubes 15 & 16), as well as the upper torpedo tubes (Tubes 1 & 2). But that will come in time and actual tube positions based on fit. I don't have to remove any Towed Array appendages, but I do need to remove the fixed bow plane appendages and add the SS hull fairwaters to the sail. What can I say, I'm biased towards fairwaters and proud of it as it stems from the period when I served. Regardless of public opinion, they work quite well with a properly trimmed boat.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180307_153937658.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.3 KB ID:	136608
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Mk-45-VLS-003.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.6 KB ID:	136609
    Now that the build background is behind us, here's the small step.

I built the double cup seal last night (all that reading for this???).

I plan on using the same exact PROPULSION system I used in SHARK but with one major difference!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190603_193026.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.0 KB ID:	136610

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180125_221452806.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.7 KB ID:	136611

Belt drive gear reduction. Similar to this......but beefier.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200207_163825.jpg Views:	0 Size:	38.4 KB ID:	136612

I'm going to start with 4:1. because I need to swing this!! The left is solid brass!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180307_152915510.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.5 KB ID:	136613
    This build will provide an opportunity for another another shift in thinking with regards to RC Submarine Engineering. All the servo's will be in the wet.

Just the electronics (RCVR, ESC, APD, BLM & auxiliary electronics) and the Drive Motor will be in watertight box's. These boxes proved so successful in SHARK and I think are better for the large boat.

Builds after this point may just have the electronics housed.

What an exciting future lies ahead.

Hoping to have sea trials before Groton.

Last edited by QuarterMaster; 02-07-2020, 06:43 PM.
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

Looking forward to this thread, Ed! Great stuff, as always!

Bob

Comment

Working...