Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrSchmidt
    Captain
    • Apr 2014

Started with the structures below the control room floor. Blow the pressure hull of the control room were the two pressure tight regulating tanks. Within the pressure hull below the floor of the control room were a fresh an a waste water tank (latter in the front right in gray green). Between those tanks was storage space for ammo and equipment and the piping of the bilge pump. The intake filter of the bilge pump is the big cylinder in the front left. The color scheme is chosen according with the color regulations for German U-Boats of the Kriegsmarine from 1944, after which the space under the floor has to be painted in white gray (RL9002). I won't go overboard with weathering. None of the boats were old and the crew normally did a decent job maintaining them. Therefore a little filter, some washes and a hint of rust....nothing more.

Click image for larger version  Name:	XXIII-95.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.3 KB ID:	154427

Click image for larger version  Name:	XXIII-96.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.5 KB ID:	154428

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_48946.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	154429

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

That looks great. I so look forward to your posts on this.
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• jphatton
        Lieutenant
        • Jan 2021

Manfred,

Your build is providing a fascinating insight into the construction of the Type XXIII though both your CAD model renders and the 3D printed interior model. What source drawings are you using as reference to build the model? I assume you main reference would be the Rossler and Kohl drawings (Vom Original Zum Modell book), but are you using other drawings for the details or simply estimates from drawings. I've found for my own CAD models that the photos are best confirmation of details and layout, as often there are discrepancies within plans.

I have two of the Bronco XXIII models that I'm planning to tackle building in the next few months. As something different I'm planning on building them to the configuration of the Bundesmarine U-Hai and U-Hecht, with the modified sonar arrangement on the bow, with one of the models with the Type 240 configuration of streamlined sail and 1.65m hull extension. The Rossler and Kohl drawings provide enough material for the main modifications and I've been collecting photo's for the details of both boats to prepare the build. As I understand there were three distinct configurations, the modifications after salvage in 1957, the streamlining of the sail at the 1961 refit and extension of the hull in 1963 (Type 240 configuration) to fit a different engine (intented for Type 205).

Looking forward to further posts on your build!

Best wishes,

Jason

Comment

• DrSchmidt
          Captain
          • Apr 2014

I use the two books by Kohl and Rössler and the plans. For the details it's a tremendous ammount of research. The Diesel e.g. is based on plans from the Machine Museum in Bremen, the blowers for the ventialtion are based on drawings of blowers from Type IX boats that I found on Uboot Archive, I found detail drawings of the snorkel assembly on ebay, for most of the radio equipment there are good photo sources from collectors and museums....plain and simply allot of digging. The rest is approximation from photos and the decriptions in the books. All in all it took 2 years or so to get the CAD model to this stage.
          Last edited by DrSchmidt; 10-14-2021, 07:18 AM.

Comment

• jphatton
            Lieutenant
            • Jan 2021

The point you mention about drawings and details from other types of boats is an important one. As there is often commonality in masts and systems I found that often details of those could be found on other submarine types of the same country / period, particularly periscopes and masts.

I've found CAD modelling to be very powerful tool for integrating all of the collected information on projects I've researched. Particularly if only photo's are available or some aspect is not adequately covered by drawings (often this is the case for complex bow shapes in the absence of sections), the CAD model can be very helpful for getting the dimensions and shape right.

Also building the internal structure can help getting the placement and layout of external hull features correct. For example on another project I'm working on there was a significant discrepancy with the position of ballast tanks vents and flood grates between the side and plan view drawings and also these didn't correspond to the photo's. Constructing the internal frames and ballast tank layout helped getting those correctly positioned. Also as you say in the absence of other reference material some details are based on educated guesses, but again the CAD can help a lot with getting approximate estimates of dimensions and positions.

Concerning the Type XXIII I came across this Bundesmarine film of U-Hai/U-Hecht in the mid 1960's which might be of interest as it includes some internal views although it is in the later type 240 configuration

Comment

• DrSchmidt
              Captain
              • Apr 2014

I agree, there are allot of similarities between the boats. The XXIII was developed so fast and with so little resources, that the designers tried to incorporate as many existing parts as possible. And yes, integrating this via CAD is pretty rewarding.

With respect to the video: I know this little gem and actaully used it quite allot....

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                Captain
                • Apr 2014

Painted the underside of the floor of the control room and glued it into place. Fits. Next I dry-fitted the pressure hull and the little cabin for the radio guy. Looks very promising. But now I have to figure out in which order to paint and assemble al that stuff....it will work.

Name:	XXIII-98.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	154563

Comment

• Halcyon66
                  Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                  • Oct 2021

Amazing work.

Regards,

Gregory

Comment

• tifosi12
                    Commander
                    • Jul 2020

Unbelievable work. Congrats!

Comment

• Das Boot
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Dec 2019

Last edited by Das Boot; 10-25-2021, 04:05 PM.
                      Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                        Captain
                        • Apr 2014

Working on the radio cabin that was located port side of the control room. Walls are white, the table, similar to the VIIc boats, was painted green. Below the table on the left corner was the drive for the direction finder antenna. The direction was set by turning the hand wheel. The rotation was transmitted via an angular gear and an axle that went through the table upwards to the top of the cabin. There another angular gear made the rotation horizontal and sent it out via an axle to the direction finder antenna....getting there.

Name:	xxiii-99.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	154881

Name:	xxiii-100.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	154877

Name:	xxiii-101.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	154878

Name:	xxiii-102.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	154879Click image for larger version

Name:	xxiii-103.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	154880
                        Attached Files

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                          Captain
                          • Apr 2014

Left behind the door the rack with the short wave transmitter Lo40K39 (top) and the respective power supply (below). I'm quite happy, but one won't be able to see too muh of it in the finished model....

Name:	XXIII-104.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	154900

Name:	XXIII-105.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	154901

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by DrSchmidt
                            Left behind the door the rack with the short wave transmitter Lo40K39 (top) and the respective power supply (below). I'm quite happy, but one won't be able to see too muh of it in the finished model....

Name:	XXIII-104.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	154900

Name:	XXIII-105.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	154901
                            We are of a kindred spirit: They may never see it, but WE know it's there!

Name:	PICT0037.JPG
Views:	340
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	154905Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0038.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	154906Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0043.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	154907Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0044.JPG
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	154908Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0055.JPG
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	154909Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0045.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	154910
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                              Captain
                              • Apr 2014

Very nice.....you are a master of your art

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by DrSchmidt
                                Very nice.....you are a master of your art
                                Thank you sir. We cut our teeth on Industrial Diaplays. I still have you magnificent USS NAUTILUS in the rotation for final detailing, painting and weathering -- maybe I'll finish it this year. Got it all trimmed out and running, and it's a great performer in the water.

This Type-23 of yours will be one for the ages.

David
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...