Commander
    • Mar 2016

I finished the linkages at the rear.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2061 (800x600).jpg
Views:	604
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	132580

The wiring for the top rudder light comes down the crank and up out of the way of the prop shaft..........

Name:	IMG_2062 (800x600).jpg
Views:	547
Size:	429.2 KB
ID:	132581

.............which is once again a 4mm brass rod with 2.5mm dogbone to go in Dave's fitting on the prop shaft, I had ordered a 4mm stainless shaft and cardan coupling but forgot there's no room down there.

Thanks to Dave's generosity, it was a doddle to sort.

Name:	IMG_2063 (800x600).jpg
Views:	537
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	132582

The rear is now all sorted.................

Name:	IMG_2064 (800x600).jpg
Views:	446
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	132583

..................... on to the bulkheads next.

''We're after men, and I wish to God I was with them........!''

Comment

• The Boattrainman
      Commander
      • Mar 2016

So after that hiatus to work on my other modelling projects, the Skipjack No. 2 is re-started.

To pick up where I left off, here are the bulkheads, made to suit an R and R WTC which is on order from Ron Perrott.

Name:	IMG_2096 (800x600).jpg
Views:	523
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	137101Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2097 (800x600).jpg
Views:	498
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	137102

Also finished is the tower with some scopes, I want something high and visible, plus I drilled out the snorkel and the base of the tower to let the air out.

Name:	IMG_2098 (800x600).jpg
Views:	481
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	137103Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2099 (800x600).jpg
Views:	481
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	137104

Another reason I gave this sucker a rest is it had some warping issues, so leaving it with a load of elastic bands to tighten the hull together for a few months in an attic with constant hold/cold cycles seems to have cured the hull shape.
      Last edited by The Boattrainman; 03-10-2020, 03:43 PM.

Comment

• The Boattrainman
        Commander
        • Mar 2016

It looks like we all may have plenty of time for our hobbies in the coming weeks, can any group of people be more prepared for a bit of self-isolation than model makers. Throw in a bit of Solitaire Wargaming with my model railway and I can't complain about what we are being asked to do!

So on with my new Skipjack.

I'm custom making a linkage for the Fairwater Planes, using a standard crank and a plastic mount. I've mounted it on a scale paper drawing of the upper hull......

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2100 (800x600).jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.3 KB ID:	137398Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2101 (800x600).jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.8 KB ID:	137399

...............the connection to the WTC at the forward end in the lower hull is three magnets, as I'm unlikely to get the alignment spot on.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2102 (800x600).jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.0 KB ID:	137400

The Boattrainman

Comment

• The Boattrainman
          Commander
          • Mar 2016

The one area I never get bored sorting is wiring the WTC components.

I made a custom mount to hold the fuse holder, I think a 10amp fuse might be enough for this sub.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2105 (800x600).jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.7 KB ID:	137800Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2106 (800x600).jpg Views:	0 Size:	94.0 KB ID:	137801

So aft to bow here is the finished wiring........

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2107 (800x600).jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.0 KB ID:	137802

.........I could just squeeze another servo in the mounting plate for a switch to turn on/off the lights, the Engel pitch controller just fitted on the other side.

The fuse holder uses the mounts for the ballast tank pump (it's just a cheap 12V windscreen washer unit)........

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2108 (800x600).jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.5 KB ID:	137803

..............I've tried to keep power on the port side and servo leads on the starboard, but they are mixed going down the centre of the tank......

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2109 (800x600).jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.3 KB ID:	137804

.......that's the receiver aerial wrapped around the tank, there's just enough space within the WTC to squeeze this in.

Receiver and two Mtroniks 15 TIO (Lipo safe) ESCs, again tried to keep the wiring as separate as possible.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2110 (800x600).jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.5 KB ID:	137805

And finally, the forward end cap with connectors for the tower planes and navigation lights (one is a plug the other a socket so I don't mix them up).

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2111 (800x600).jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.0 KB ID:	137806

I detest messy wiring, all custom cut, crimped and held down with cable ties.

The Boattrainman

Comment

• The Boattrainman
            Commander
            • Mar 2016

I asked Ron to give me an extra two inches on the WTC, as I found things got really pinched at the battery end on the Type 23.

It has made a huge difference to the trailing wiring for at the forward end, lots of extra room.

Name:	IMG_2112 (800x600).jpg
Views:	408
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	137808

Name:	IMG_2113 (800x600).jpg
Views:	375
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	137809

And for once, no glitches, no twitchy servos, no bugs, it worked first time, just waiting for 2 X 3000MAH Lipos from Hobbyking (hopefully not delayed due to the thing!!!)

The Boattrainman

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

Well done and clean install. 2 3000MAH batteries? Are you putting both in or one is a backup?
              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• The Boattrainman
                Commander
                • Mar 2016

Hi my friend.

Spot on, ones a back up, I was going to modify the battery holder under the ESCs and Receiver to take a 5000mah similar to my first build, but to be honest, the 5000mah never ran out of juice on a decent run.

So, I'll go with a 3000mah and see how long I get, 30/40 mins is plenty for me, and I'll bring the second if I want another run.

Rob

Comment

• The Boattrainman
                  Commander
                  • Mar 2016

I've standardised on using these 12V Planet automotive connectors, they say they are waterproof and come with a small rubber bung that goes around the wire and into he back of the plug/socket.

Name:	IMG_2114 (800x600).jpg
Views:	526
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	137831

But I thought they leaked a bit last time, so I've filled the inlet ports with epoxy to set hard (I wonder does anyone else do this?).

Name:	IMG_2115 (800x600).jpg
Views:	411
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	137832

The WTC tie down to the hull is as simple as possible, at the aft end the water inlet (blue) spigot is slotted into a fitting........

Name:	IMG_2117 (800x600).jpg
Views:	443
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	137833
                  rip

.........and at the forward end, a single screw with a knurled nut for grip goes through a plastic fitting into a captive nut embedded in the cap, the fitting can be wound in/out on a short threaded rod to get it a perfect fit.

Name:	IMG_2116 (800x600).jpg
Views:	480
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	137834

Simple!

The Boattrainman

Comment

• The Boattrainman
                    Commander
                    • Mar 2016

I found a suitable fitting from my spares box, I think it's from the Robbe U-47 that I turned into U-557, but it was a perfect fit for the space inside the tower.......

Name:	IMG_2121 (800x600).jpg
Views:	466
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	137889

........I drilled it through and added a magnet on top.................

Name:	IMG_2122 (800x600).jpg
Views:	408
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	137890

......the corresponding magnet is stuck on the bottom of the snort valve, so easy to take off if required.

Ok, off to do a bit of priming and sanding out the blemishes.

The Boattrainman

Comment

• The Boattrainman
                      Commander
                      • Mar 2016

Here's the prop Dave sent me, I hit it with some primer and some enamel brass paint.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2123 (800x600).jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.2 KB ID:	137892

I did the same the last time and it didn't wear off, and it's easy to hit it again if it gets chipped.

This was the prop that was way off balance, much better with a fair chunk of meat removed from the boss (my prop balancer says so!).

The Boattrainman

Comment

• The Boattrainman
                        Commander
                        • Mar 2016

So that's it for now!

Name:	IMG_2124 (800x600).jpg
Views:	412
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	137912Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2125 (800x600).jpg
Views:	487
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	137911

It'll have to sit on it's shelf for a while, I just had enough primer for a basic coat.

But all the model, DIY and auto stores are shut in Ireland due to The Thing, so I've run out of paint (I usually use Halfords - open in the UK but not shipping rattle cans, ******)

The Skipjack awaits completion........

Name:	IMG_2127 (800x600).jpg
Views:	349
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	137913

..........over and out!

The Boattrainman

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                          • Aug 2008

Put that sucker in the water!

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• The Boattrainman
                            Commander
                            • Mar 2016

Absolutely David.

Once the main batteries arrive, I'll be doing dive tests..................IN THE BATH!!!

Not allowed out and about more than 2km from the house with The Thing.......government restrictions........my fave pond is 2.5km away!

Walk the dogs, that's about it for April/early May, luckily I can work from home.

Stay safe buddy!

Rob

Comment

• The Boattrainman
                              Commander
                              • Mar 2016

So I bit the bullet and decided to use expensive Tamiya hobby paints from spray cans.

I am really impressed with the finish, you definitely get what you pays for..............

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2128 (800x600).jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.0 KB ID:	138362

........the finish on the body shells is a very fine satin, I wish I could leave it like this but it will need a coat of varnish, I usually go with a matt that ends up something like I have already.

The tower is finished in enamel for the scope bases, and BECC vinyl letters.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2129 (800x600).jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.1 KB ID:	138363

Including the tiny Sculpin names, a real pain to get stuck down again from BECC 2mm vinyl letters.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2130 (800x600).jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.9 KB ID:	138364

Here's the culprits, not cheap at only 100ml per can (total cost around 70 bucks plus delivery), but I've nothing else to spend my money on at the moment.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2131 (800x600).jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.4 KB ID:	138365

Great paints, a step up even from Humbrol spays in my view.

I tried to do something too clever on my previous Skipjack (went for a sort of dark gray with shading that only sort of worked), but good old plain black this time to keep HWMNBN happy.

Name:	IMG_2132 (800x600).jpg
Views:	309
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	138366

The Boattrainman

Last edited by The Boattrainman; 04-24-2020, 03:48 PM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                                • Aug 2008

Nice! Love the dull finish! All the little details are eye-candy we all can appreciate. Keep at it.

David
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...