• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Boattrainman
    Commander
    • Mar 2016

A Skipjack in Ireland No.2

Here we go again!!!

I'm having another go at converting the Revell 1/72 Skipjack to R/C, it's just too good a model when completed to be without.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1997 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	282.5 KB ID:	132117

Z - cut complete, on my usual oak effect stand.

Lots of problems with this hull, it had seriously warped in the box (left in sunlight?). Plenty of filling and alignment strips were needed to get it aligned and still more to do.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2000 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	184.0 KB ID:	132118Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2007 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	258.8 KB ID:	132119

I'm adding details I didn't do last time...........the mast light on the tower, a bit over scale.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1998 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	230.7 KB ID:	132120Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1999 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	187.7 KB ID:	132121

It matches the tail light on the upper rudder.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2008 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	256.9 KB ID:	132122Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2009 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	222.0 KB ID:	132123

I've a few bits left over from the last build, enough to scratch the gratings on the lower hull.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2001 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	212.8 KB ID:	132124Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2002 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	222.8 KB ID:	132125

My good friend David sent me a package all the way from the USA to Ireland, including this cracking prop..................

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_39667.jpg
Views:	647
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	132127

........ here it is polished and ready to go.

As I've standardised on 2mm brass bolts into collared nuts, here's the attachment point.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2005 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	192.5 KB ID:	132126Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2006 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	211.0 KB ID:	132129

All I'm short of is the yokes to hold the rudders and dive planes and I'm set to go.

The Boattrainman

Last edited by The Boattrainman; 05-10-2019, 11:33 AM.
    ''We're after men, and I wish to God I was with them........!''
  • The Boattrainman
    Commander
    • Mar 2016

This is how much warping I'm having to sort, suggestions welcome!

Name:	IMG_2011 (800x600).jpg
Views:	643
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	132131

Rob

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

Rob,
      Could you make your pin face up and hook that under the front lip? That would pull it down and lock it in place. (aside from the obvious of trying to heat it and bend the parts)
      Peace,
      tom
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Too late to get you those, stern control surface yokes?

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• The Boattrainman
          Commander
          • Mar 2016

Hi Tom,

The locking bolt pulls the hull downward at that point and works fine, but then the side bulge outwards a bit.

It's weird, if you look at the top pic, it looks like the top and bottom hulls are two different shades of grey plastic.

I tried heating with a powerful hair dryer inside the hull, but it was making the warp worse!!!!

I can work with shims of styrene and lots of sanding, but I don't think this one will be perfectly round unless I can de-warp the middle hull.

Rob

Comment

• The Boattrainman
            Commander
            • Mar 2016

Hi David,

No dude, just starting out on the Skippy, that's all the progress to date. Alternating between this and the Type XXXIII, any rear parts available would be helpful, especially those yokes, reallly tight space in there my usual 3mm brass and plastic cranks don't fit.

Thanks.

Rob

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by The Boattrainman
              Hi David,

No dude, just starting out on the Skippy, that's all the progress to date. Alternating between this and the Type XXXIII, any rear parts available would be helpful, especially those yokes, reallly tight space in there my usual 3mm brass and plastic cranks don't fit.

Thanks.

Rob
              Excellent. Send me your mailing address. dmeriman@aol.com

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• The Boattrainman
                Commander
                • Mar 2016

Work on the tower continues, I removed the entire bottom section of plastic.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2012 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	278.3 KB ID:	132275

...............and two large slots on the hull top.........

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2013 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	245.6 KB ID:	132276

.......this give access through the upper hull into the tower, I'm gluing the tower to the hull on this one.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2016 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	198.6 KB ID:	132277

The diving planes on the tower are activated by my usual twin tiller arms glued together with a long extension arm, each dive plane has 3mm rod that slots into each tiller, and the second slot in the hull is so my allen key extension will reach the grub screws.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2024 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	234.4 KB ID:	132278Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2025 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	229.8 KB ID:	132282

The lighting (3mm LEDs) are attached............

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2017 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	249.5 KB ID:	132279

...............I added an off white/orange in the triangular window at the conning tower rear for the hell of it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2020 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	256.1 KB ID:	132280Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2019 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	270.6 KB ID:	132281

The Boattrainman
                Last edited by The Boattrainman; 05-19-2019, 01:29 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Excellent. Send me your mailing address. dmeriman@aol.com

David
                  Did you get the stuff?

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• The Boattrainman
                    Commander
                    • Mar 2016

Enroute from New Jersey, customs clearance sorted!

Rob

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by The Boattrainman
                      Enroute from New Jersey, customs clearance sorted!

Rob
                      Excellent!

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• The Boattrainman
                        Commander
                        • Mar 2016

So some goodies arrived from good old USA, many thanks to David, what a guy. These will make a huge difference to the build.

Name:	IMG_2037 (800x600).jpg
Views:	684
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	132337

I've been balancing the props on my surface skimmers as I got this balancer recently..............

Name:	IMG_2035 (800x600).jpg
Views:	639
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	132338

......the brass props only needed a tiny piece removed from the rear of the boss to get them right, however...............

Name:	IMG_2036 (800x600).jpg
Views:	637
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	132339

...............I've had to take a massive chunk out of the Skipjack prop, and while it's a lot better, it's still outa whack.

Getting so I don't want to take any more off, don't want to damage it or compromise the shape.

The Boattrainman

Comment

• HardRock
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Mar 2013

Should be OK; unless you're planning to water ski behind that boat.

Comment

• Subculture
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

I expect your brass props have a much smaller boss?

Comment

• The Boattrainman
                              Commander
                              • Mar 2016

Yes, deffo, the brass ones are smaller and I don't think it's a major problem if it's a small bit out, not like a model airplane prop.

Anyway, I've taken off as much as I dare and it certainly doesn't wobble anymore when spun by hand.

Will fill the void with epoxy and sand over.

Rob

Comment

Working...