I can not remember the gas generating " forced to surface " tablet used.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cyclops2
    Ensign
    • Dec 2018

I can not remember the gas generating " forced to surface " tablet used.

I have the large Gato rcd up & running well. I just need the the bag with fluid & a tablet to dive it.

Many thanks.
    Rich
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

I am not sure I heard of this.
    tell me more of how it works. Any pictures?
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Baking soda? The toy submarine you got in a box of cereal?

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

That is the only thing I can think of......or Alka-Seltzer

If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
          That is the only thing I can think of......or Alka-Seltzer
          When I was on the boats we had a form of torpedo-sonar evasion devices that when launched from a signal ejector would produce a flurry of hydrogen bubbles. Like a super-fizzy. maybe that chemical is what he's talking about?

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
            Admiral
            • Dec 2008

Baking soda + Critic Acid aka Bath Bombs = CO2

Calcium carbide + water = Acetylene gas
            Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

O.k. Story about calcium carbide. I was in my early teens and a buddy and I would fill a coke bottle with water and a few "rocks" of calcium carbide (used in mining hat lamp). Then put balloons over the opening and filled them with the gas created. We of course kept getting fancier in how we ignited them. It really is a spectacular poof of flames! Until one genius got a match too close and I had my eyebrows hair seared off!
              Lucky that was the worst that happened.
              I have a very healthy respect for them rocks. Do not use it in your sub.

Comment

• redboat219
                Admiral
                • Dec 2008

Found this old article. Used a timer to open a hopper to dump calcium carbide pellets into a bin with water to produce "acetylene gas"
                Attached Files

Comment

• redboat219
                  Admiral
                  • Dec 2008

Gas generator based deballasting system are generally one shot "use in case of emergency" system not something you would use on a regular basis.
                  Last edited by redboat219; 12-16-2018, 06:50 AM.

Comment

• redboat219
                    Admiral
                    • Dec 2008

Would be nice to see a picture of your Gato.
                    Last edited by redboat219; 12-16-2018, 09:07 AM.

Comment

• cyclops2
                      Ensign
                      • Dec 2018

I did a web search of gas generating Baking Soda & Vinegar type generators. I suddenly realized a calibrated fuse of some type is needed. Not interested in doing any more dives in my underware with a 12" cinder block.

81 years, 6 stints, Pacemaker & Defibulator. I think I will just do a static diver..........Bad luck ? I will be buried at the lake.

I decided to just do a wet system of motors- sealed by RTV coating. RTV & grease of all servos. Soldered servo wires covered with Hot Glue. 2 A123 1100 mahr cells power everything. Rc is a FM 4 channel .

The 2cells & receiver & ESC are in a drugstore pill bottle. Spring loaded caps are very good.. The drive shafts & couplings are S S.

Pictures are from doing submerged water tests during constructions.

I will add closed cell sheets of blue dock foam to get her balanced. The hull sections are held together with plastic straps across the seams. All are covered by the main deck plates.

I am finally regaining my abilities to do hobbies. Feels good.

Rich
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by cyclops2; 12-16-2018, 02:49 PM.

Comment

• Bob Gato
                        Captain
                        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by redboat219
                        Found this old article. Used a timer to open a hopper to dump calcium carbide pellets into a bin with water to produce "acetylene gas"
                        Its otherwise Known as bangsite-they used to use it in carbide lamps on cars and in toy cannons-you can buy it on ebay..it comes in tubes like toothpaste-I'd put it in a balloon and not a chamber because mixed with oxygen in the WTC, it will blow the sub up like a wayward torpedo with the slightest spark from a pump or relay...

Comment

• Bob Gato
                          Captain
                          • Feb 2019

Just use a couple of alka-seltzers -they'll produce beaucoup CO2-as far as a "fuse goes...I experimented with a tums attached to a wine cork with 10ft of cord wound on it. the tums will disolve in about an hour(give or tale 15min) at 60*and PH neutral and release the float(cork). Of course you would need to change out the unit every 45 min or so but they're cheap and can be made to quick change . And if there is a problem retrieving the sub you can always eat the Tums!

Comment

Working...