X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Davidh
    Captain
    • Nov 2010

Hello all,

The Ballast tank system that I have been using of late is what has been called the "Sheerline system". It is the 12v car wind screen washer pump forcing water into a sealed pvc pipe tank, using the simply but effective servo pinch on a nitro tube. It is a system that is slow to dive and surface, but very reliable. I like the fact that you expend the energy to dive and surfacing is just the release of the built up energy. The pressurized air inside the tank pushes the water out to surface.

I build my tanks of PVC pipe and it is forward of the cylinder. If there is a leak or other problem with the tank it will not affect the cylinder. I have cut a 70mm PVC pipe and found two thick 70mm end caps. I then took a flat section of PVC sheet from a down pipe funnel and cut a semi-circular slosh baffle out of it to fit in the middle of the tank. I drilled a hole in one end cap in a corner that would act as the outlet for the
    Silicon pipe coming from the cylinder. I took a length of nylon plastic pipe to use as the internal pipe leading to the pickup at the bottom of the tank. This was bent at about a 45 degree angle and just touches the bottom of the inside of the tank near the middle next to the baffle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2702.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	135868

Name:	IMG_2700.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	135869

Name:	IMG_2706.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	135870

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2816.JPG Views:	31 Size:	66.3 KB ID:	135838

All this has been glued in using green Plumbers pressure glue. This stuff is designed to seal PVC pipe under pressure. The internal plastic pipe connects to a 4mm barbed off take.This is glued and allow the silicon pipe from the cylinder to connect. I then cut out some strip of PVC and bent it to make two brackets that are glued to the ends of the tank. In the flat section I drilled a 4mm hole to take a stainless steel bolt.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2817.JPG Views:	28 Size:	64.3 KB ID:	135839

I then cut some strip fibre glass sheet and glued it to the sides with some resin and cloth. Once glued down I drilled a hole in the middle and then bolted down the tank.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2819.JPG Views:	27 Size:	77.0 KB ID:	135840

It has taken a bit of time to make dozens of fine little adjustments to aligning the shafts to the outputs from the cylinder. Aligning up the magnetic couplings for the pushrods is also something that
    has taken a bit of time. I placed lead in positions that are similar to their corresponding locations on Borei (Project 955). As these two boats are about the same size the positioning of the lead should equate to
    similar trim.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2820.JPG Views:	27 Size:	58.7 KB ID:	135841

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2822.JPG Views:	28 Size:	65.8 KB ID:	135842

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2823.JPG Views:	26 Size:	48.9 KB ID:	135843

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2830.JPG Views:	28 Size:	55.9 KB ID:	135844

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2836.JPG Views:	27 Size:	61.1 KB ID:	135845

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2891.JPG Views:	27 Size:	57.1 KB ID:	135846

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2890.JPG Views:	28 Size:	58.5 KB ID:	135847

Maiden voyage details later...

David H
    Last edited by Davidh; 01-05-2020, 04:47 AM.

Comment

• Peter W
      Captain
      • May 2011

That is beautiful David.

Peter

Comment

• RCSubGuy
        Welcome to my underwater realm!
        • Aug 2009

A long time coming, but a beautiful result. Ballasting looks bang on! Great job, David.

Comment

• MFR1964
          Detail Nut of the First Order
          • Sep 2010

David,

I know how much work there is envolved in building your sub from scratch, so hats off to you!!, she ended up very nice, at one of the pics she looks like a humpback whale, typical russian style.

Manfred
          I went underground

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

Agree with all the previous comments. That sub looks great in the water!
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Davidh
              Captain
              • Nov 2010

Hello all,

Thank you for the Positive comments guys, most appreciated.

As mentioned last night this pretty much finishes the thread with regards to construction. The Delta was completed about a week before Christmas so I have had a fair amount of time to fine tune her and get her running really well. Putting her in the water initially found that the trim was good and after taking her out and gluing down the weights that were already in place meant that it would only be the odd weight here and there for fine adjustment.

Because of the flat bottom of the boat underneath the missile deck coincides with the positioning of the Ballast tank meant that I could actually raise the tank slightly higher than the bottom of the hull. The voluminous missile deck also accommodated this decision as well. So the tank is raised about 10 mm above the bottom of the hull. This mean't that I could use this lengths of boat for Ballast trim and a fair amount of weight has been located here.

She's not a fast boat,however found that with a little speed the control surfaces kicked in. She'll never turn like my Gotland class SSK but eventually the rudder does kick in and the stern hydroplanes dow have some effect. It certainly helps to have a boat well trimmed so that you only use the stern planes when necessary.

Diving was straight and Zero Bubble ( I couldn't resist). At PD she runs nice, the only thing is my pool is just too small. I need a nice big Olympic swimming poll to let her rip.

Overall I think a Really nice boat and one that I have wanted to build for a long time.

Name:	IMG_2875.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	135872

Name:	IMG_2884.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	135873

Name:	IMG_2915.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	135874

Name:	IMG_2922.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	135875

Name:	IMG_2992.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	135876

Name:	IMG_2995.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	135877

Name:	rear near wall.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	135878

Name:	Delta 4 props underwater at angle.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	135879

Name:	delta 4 almost under.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	135880

Name:	delta almost under 2.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	135881

Video available at https://zerobubblemodeldesign.jimdof...-delta-4-ssbn/

Thank you,

David Hughes.

Comment

• Davidh
                Captain
                • Nov 2010

Hello all,

Is my last post showing? It’s gone green and says ‘unapproved’?

David H

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Davidh
                  Hello all,

Is my last post showing? It’s gone green and says ‘unapproved’?

David H
                  It shows up on my screen, David. And I must say that the photography is very good: you've filled the frame, interesting angles, and the subject is well lit. Well done, sir.

David
                  The Horrible
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kim Sleep
                    Commander
                    • Nov 2013

You make it look so damn easy. The first few pics are excellent examples of the Patina of subs, for painting.
                    A man of true Frankenstinean proportions!!

Comment

• Davidh
                      Captain
                      • Nov 2010

Thankyou Kim.

I am pretty happy with the color scheme and paint job even though I’m pretty average with paint. This boat has been getting a bit of a workout lately.
                      She runs really nicely. I just need a bigger pool.

Regards,

David H.

Comment

• Kim Sleep
                        Commander
                        • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Davidh
                        Thankyou Kim.

I am pretty happy with the color scheme and paint job even though I’m pretty average with paint. This boat has been getting a bit of a workout lately.
                        She runs really nicely. I just need a bigger pool.

Regards,

David H.
                        If you were anywhere near me, and it was summer, I would welcome you to the pool outside the place that I rent. It may be average with paint, but man, you captured it perfectly.Its a striking build.

Comment

• Davidh
                          Captain
                          • Nov 2010

Thanks Kim,

We don’t have a lot of outdoor public ‘Reflection Pond’ type bodies of water that I can just turn up to and run. From my balcony I can see lake Budgewoi but I would never put my boats in there.

Thanks for the compliments. Have you checked out my website? Plug plug....

Model kits of Radio Control Submarines. Six kits are on offer. Five are Cold war era Nuclear submarines and one is a World War One U-Boat.. These kits are fibreglass and are scale models of full size vessels.

Thanks,

David H

Comment

• Davidh
                            Captain
                            • Nov 2010

Papa and Delta.

Name:	15F21D28-641E-4378-A5AD-1931294BF8E9.jpeg
Views:	334
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	136285Click image for larger version

Name:	20AD2603-7529-431A-B1FF-5C371D1A2FC4.jpeg
Views:	325
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	136286Click image for larger version

Name:	E0C08829-963C-4312-98FA-5799C8C4E851.jpeg
Views:	340
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	136287Click image for larger version

Name:	6EABDB01-2FC8-4CFE-B805-61D72604A606.jpeg
Views:	315
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	136288Click image for larger version

Name:	C39928F1-E9BD-450B-96E2-F577B5223AAB.jpeg
Views:	312
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	136289Click image for larger version

Name:	4728C3B0-4B4D-4AC3-83E9-9A22883B48D8.jpeg
Views:	306
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	136290Click image for larger version

Name:	20183483-29B2-477B-B57A-1EC0EBA9A8BE.jpeg
Views:	320
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	136291

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

That scum line looks good and in the water it looks ominous! Well done. It is fun seeing the topics you have picked and tackled. Keep it coming, I learn from each one you do!
                              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Kim Sleep
                                Commander
                                • Nov 2013

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL UNITS, when you have time, please post a video of them running

Comment

Working...