ID:	130358Click image for larger version

Name:	eda597381f520693f3d19946a1cf9b99.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	130359Click image for larger version

Name:	7511f8b32e1989313ad5c74b80dacfee.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	130360 Some more... Click image for larger version  Name:	313cb9e44665bdf065a73afc0a731ada.jpg Views:	2 Size:	193.6 KB ID:	130354

Last edited by JHapprich; 02-23-2019, 05:04 PM.

Comment

• JHapprich
      Captain
      • Oct 2017

Hope i did not double post... now i messed up your building thread, Dave!

Comment

• DMTNT
        Commander
        • Jun 2018

What a goldmine of photos. I love it!
        Dead men tell no tales...

Comment

• JHapprich
          Captain
          • Oct 2017

и их экипажи.: Фото Тулы в Белом море. (стр. 1 из 74)

Happy hunting!

Comment

• Davidh
            Captain
            • Nov 2010

Thanks Jorg, Trout and Brady.

Nice pics there Jorg, Some ones I had not seen before. Getting closer to some of the elusive details on the bottom of the hull. Once again guys feel free to give me ideas about detail that I may have missed with overall proportions. The effort invested over on Scott's November is impressive and that is a really nice looking boat. I want one too...

Anyway back to the 667.

I have gone back to looking over the stern section of the boat. I started to look at the location of the stern planes and the fillet that they would need to transition into the hull. Previously with on some boats, in particular the Mike , I have created the filleted surface as an integral part of the stern plane and is moulded as an all in one unit. I have however in my most recent builds decided to have a section of profile or fillet moulded into the hull. This makes for a slightly smaller surface and gives a clearer indication of where the surface goes. It can sometimes play havoc with the layup as sometimes the resin doesn't like the tight radius's certainly not ones too close to the edge of the mould flange.

These fillets would be made out of Renshape. This is fantastic stuff. I marked out a small profile piece from the root of the plane and then cut it out with a coping saw. Once done I sanded it down to a rectangular piece. Then started sanding down to the profile required.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0913 (Large).JPG
Views:	275
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	130604

Name:	IMG_0918 (Large).JPG
Views:	258
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	130605

I then had to cut out a second and make sure that once again they are identical. I had to sand in an angle. Narrow at the front and wider at the back to compensate for the taper of the rear hull as the rear narrows towards the twin shaft booms. I also gave it a slight rounding along its chord as this would allow it to fit snugger and closer to the hull. This will eventually be filled over anyway to create a smooth transition.

The next step was working out the holes for both the small block that protrudes out the end of the plane and the holes for the pivot shaft. This effectively allows the fillet to be slid over the brass shaft and is a good method of alignment. All you need to do after that is make sure that the fillet sits on a 'thrust line' to use an aircraft term. To make sure that the pitch of the plane is 0 degrees. I then need to make sure that the outer surface is parallel with the other on the other side.

Name:	IMG_0914 (Large).JPG
Views:	277
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	130606

Name:	IMG_0915 (Large).JPG
Views:	259
Size:	596.8 KB
ID:	130607

Name:	IMG_0917 (Large).JPG
Views:	248
Size:	516.2 KB
ID:	130608
            Once these horizontal planes lined up and were in place, I refitted the planes so they would push into the fillet pieces and the root surface would mate nicely. Once this was done I then applied a small dab of super glue making sure not to glue in the brass shaft in place. Once both sides were secure I could look at mixing up some filler and wiping it around the interface between the fillet section and the curved surface of the stern hull just above the mid point or thrust line, making sure as noted that the planes are slightly above the nominal thrust line.

Name:	IMG_0920 (Large).JPG
Views:	262
Size:	546.0 KB
ID:	130609Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0919 (Large).JPG
Views:	254
Size:	490.7 KB
ID:	130610

Anyway, enough for now.

Dave H

Comment

• JHapprich
              Captain
              • Oct 2017

Really looking forward to the finished kit! Am still looking for other useful pictures.will keep u posted! Jörg

Comment

• HardRock
                Vice Admiral
                • Mar 2013

Great work Dave. Onward!

Comment

• JHapprich
                  Captain
                  • Oct 2017

found a good russian site with lots of models:

Журнал по улучшению качества жизни Россиян, посредством информирования граждан о правильности обращения (вывозе, переработке и утилизации) с бытовыми и строительными отходами.

Comment

• Davidh
                    Captain
                    • Nov 2010

Thanks Jorg,

Some really good images there. Most of my drawings have come from Russian sites...

dave

Comment

• JHapprich
                      Captain
                      • Oct 2017

no problem. i only wished id find some more drawings to scale and some more high-res detailed shots. am afraid i already found the best pictures available as the class is still in service. not like that NOVEMBER dinosaur... ps finished my small bench, Mike is WIP again :-) Jörg

Comment

• JHapprich
                        Captain
                        • Oct 2017

I assume you already know the thread, but i repost it here because of the good pictures :

We welcome all your projects here, regardless of the model manufacturer. You can upload photographs to your own album and display them here.

Comment

• Davidh
                          Captain
                          • Nov 2010

Hello all,

After aligning up the fillets for the horizontal planes, I then wiped some filler around the edges and gaps where the inner surface buts up against the hull. I also used a small piece of plastic
                          cut off an milk bottle and given a curve. I then screed the filler over the surface so it effectively extrudes a curves profile. This reduces the amount of sanding needed later. Once hardened I then sanded back
                          and then applies another smaller amount of filler to cover over any imperfections and get the filleted surfaces really smooth.

Name:	IMG_0933 (Large) (2).JPG
Views:	269
Size:	488.8 KB
ID:	130895

From here I started working on the vertical rudders top and bottom but starting off mainly with the top rudder assembly. First I needed to accurately align and drill the hole through the top and make sure that
                          it aligned up with the bottom in just the right spot. This relied on a lot of eyeballing and measuring. Making sure that the hull was level and that the lines that I project down onto the hull were square and accurate. Once happy with this I drilled the hole that would allow me to drop a rod through from the top that would be the pivot for the vertical rudders. I had to make really sure that the axis line running along the top of the hull is in just the right position and ensures that the fillet is exactly square.

Like the sides I would create a fillet section that was raised and would follow the profile of the vertical rudder. As the rudder profile slopes down towards where the movable surface is there would need to be
                          a level section that would sit under this movable surface. This would occur where the shaft would protrude up through the break in angle occurs.

Name:	IMG_0931 (Large).JPG
Views:	261
Size:	503.4 KB
ID:	130896

Name:	IMG_0930 (Large).JPG
Views:	271
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	130897

You can also see that the 4mm threaded screws have been screwed into the stern booms. I suppose I just like looking at the props and how they will fit. Of course they will still need some more work to be done on them. I think they look pretty good though. I am happy with them. I will be taking extra notice of how the root surfaces of the planes made up against the fillets. I will be working to get these absolutely flush.

Name:	IMG_0938 (Large).JPG
Views:	271
Size:	595.6 KB
ID:	130898

Name:	IMG_0939 (Large).JPG
Views:	263
Size:	566.9 KB
ID:	130899

My designs for stern surfaces always feature a rectangular protrusion that sticks out inside the root surface. It is actually an extension of the sprue from when I pour the polyurethane mould.
                          I need to accommodate it into the filleted surface so that the fin will slot in. Whilst cutting out the hole in the Renshape I also drilled a shallow hole in to the surface of the hull just to accommodate the tip of this protrusion as it would just slightly go below hull line level. As you can see from the lower pic I needed to make sure that the Renshape profile fits accurately the bottom surface of the Rudder fin and that the horizontal section underneath the movable surface is also a tight fit without too much gap. Interestingly enough if you look at the top of the movable rudder surface , it does not extend all the way up and underneath the towed array tube that stick out. It actually in my opinion looks somewhat incomplete.

Name:	IMG_0944 (Large).JPG
Views:	263
Size:	602.3 KB
ID:	130900

In this pic you can see how I have used some filler to go around the sides and also over the transition between the horizontal section that sits at the base of the movable surface and then forward fixed rudder. Even though the shaft is running up through this area I filled over it and simply pressed a hole back into it.

Anyway,

Enough for now.

Dave H

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                            • Aug 2008

You show improvement with each new project, sir.

David
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• JHapprich
                              Captain
                              • Oct 2017

Name:	Screenshot_20190314-214740_Firefox.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	131104

Hello! Found that picture of the k-64' missile section and a russian site with more intel on it:

Militaryrussia.ru/blog/topic-761.html

Jörg

Comment

• Davidh
                                Captain
                                • Nov 2010

Hello all,

Thanks David and Jorg.

So the fillets for the top rudder and the horizontal planes was put down. I spent a bit of time making sure that it aligned with the centreline as it runs down from the bow to the stern. I then had to create a filleted radius around the top fillet to get the transition to the top of the hull right. Once this was done along with the side fillets there was sanding back to get it smooth and consistent. I could then get all the corresponding appendage pieces and make sure that they matched and interfaced with a smooth straight surface.

​​

​​

​​

As can be seen there still needs to be some flattening of the root surface along the sides of the stern planes. I would also need to take out the bump along the trailing edge of the stern plane as it mates up against the corresponding fillet. The props are also going to need a lot of fine file and sanding work. Now it was time to start work on the lower rudder section. I am amazed by how small these surfaces are when you consider the size of the overall boat. No wonder they have to turning radius of a brick. My models included and I put clear cheater fins on them as well. Compare this to the Resolution that has a huge Rudder both top and bottom.I had previously printed out the required 3D parts and they look the business. I then measured out and cut the fillet profile for the lower assembly out of the Renshape block. I am using this stuff economically as mentioned it's pricey stuff here in oz.

​​

​​
                                Once again as with the top rudder fillet I decided to create a two piece unit with the separation occurring at the shaft break between the fixed and moving sections. This would allow more flexibility in getting the profiles to fit and not have to create a one piece part with an exact angle for the abrupt change in direction after the shaft passes through. I could just cut a piece and quickly adjust to fit. The fillet section forward of the shaft is tiny. As can be seen here there is not a lot of length or depth. Once again making sure that there was enough space for the protruding block that sticks out from the 3D printed part to be able to recess into the fillet and the hull underneath. Once the area around where the fillet would be secured was sanded back I would be ready to glue it down. Man, super glue is quick with this stuff.

Like the top rudder, the bottom one is mostly a basic rectangular shape. However more like the horizontal planes it has the guards on the top and bottom. It also has circle detail marked into it as can be seen from this picture. Does anyone know if this is a manufacturing/ structural feature or a hydrodynamic one?

Name:	lower rudder (Large).JPG
Views:	287
Size:	455.2 KB
ID:	131119

Not a great photo but you can see the circles on the rudder. I have taken the artistic licence of putting a small hinge on the bottom of the fin to secure the rudder. I am not sure about the mechanism on the original boat.

Name:	IMG_1003 (Large).JPG
Views:	256
Size:	602.5 KB
ID:	131120

Name:	IMG_1005 (Large).JPG
Views:	250
Size:	561.2 KB
ID:	131121

Name:	IMG_1006 (Large).JPG
Views:	274
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	131122
                                At the moment the lower fin simply drops off the shaft and along with it the lower rudder unless secured. They are square longitudinally and laterally. This took a while to get right. So not I just have to fillet with filler around the fillet and then sand. I will have some other photos later of how this assembly turns out.

If anyone knows about those circles on the lower rudder, it would be great to find out. Gantu, Jorg! (The new gopher/ ferret on the block).

Thanks,

David H

​​​​​​​

Comment

Working...