Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

Wow... resurrection of a five year old thread!

Since that original post, I've gotten a lot more experience with cooperation with other people. The thing about this hobby is that, well.. it's a hobby, and not a priority for people when weighed against the needs and wants of life. In cooperative situations, you'll always get one or two people doing the vast majority of the heavy lifting while the others say they'll help, but never end up being able to.

Cooperative manufacturing is one thing. Crowd-funding is another.. The advantage of the latter is that it forces people to put their money where their mouth is. You buck up in hopes of getting the end product. No cash. No product, and it means the vendor can set a threshold of funding before the project even takes off.

If I had more bandwidth, it would be fascinating to start with a poll for the most in-demand boat out there, then set a minimum investment amount for backers to get in on it. Just like Kickstarter, the vendor proceeds with the project, updating the investors (and only the investors) with progress. Once done, the investors get first crack at the end product, often with extras thrown in as incentive for taking the risk on to back the project.

The risk? The vendor takes the money, works for a bit, then disappears or fails (which has happened to me multiple times when I tried backing on Kickstarter myself in the past).

What sort of interest would there be from members to see something like this come to fruition?

Bob

Comment

Working...